1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Non-POSTing motherboard - RAM or slots?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 16 Aug 2014.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Oh dear.

Pretty basic stuff this one but I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing - have an Asus P8Z68-V LX board that I'm trying to boot using Patriot Viper 9-9-9-24 1600MHz RAM but it powers up for a few seconds without POSTing, then resets and follows the same loop continuously. Odd thing is, without any RAM sticks in place, it powers up and stays powered up (even though it then obviously doesn't POST).

Coupled with the above, the MemOK! LED either lights up briefly then goes off as the system resets (when there's a RAM stick fitted) or lights up continuously (with no RAM in place).

Have tried using Corsair Vengeance same timings and speed but same problem occurs. Have also tried using different slots, single sticks and resetting CMOS but no joy. Finally, tried using the MemOK! function to run the memory compatibility diagnostic but that just ran for ages then when I came back to the machine it had turned off.

The only thing I can think of now is gammy RAM slots, but I've never had that before (although I know it's possible).

Anyone else got any other ideas?

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

My guess, given what you have tried is that the motherboard is at fault somehow.
    Have you given it a 'blow' with some compressed air?
    Also, if you have access, test the RAM in a different PC.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Sounds like a motherboard issue to be, based on what you've tried.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The final nail in the coffin would be putting the ram into something else, if it works and test ok in another system then chances are its the mobo.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Take the cpu out of the socket and check for any bent pins because if there are any bent pins that could cause the board to not post.

Also check how much thermal paste is on the cpu, because my current MSI board would not post because the cpu was apparently getting to hot, took the cpu out of the socket and the next day I put it back in with new thermal paste on the cooler and it worked fine.

It might not be either of them, but they are worth checking.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Thanks guys.

I tried the RAM in another board last night and the Corsair set POSTed, whereas the Patriot set seemed to have one dodgy stick. Although that's annoying, it did prove that a) most of the memory works okay and b) a board still boots with only one stick of two working.

I'll blow the slots out with some air and give it another crack, but I did check for bent pins on the way in and couldn't see anything obvious. And I think if anything, I might have overdone the paste rather than underdone it as I was testing some new stuff (Gelid, by the way, which is nowhere near as good as the MX5 I normally use).

Falling that, am I reduced to sourcing a new board? It does sound like it...

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

If the Patriot ram has a dodgy stick send it back and get a replacement.

If the Corsair stuff worked fine in another board, but then won't work in the Asus board then I would say it's probably the board and ram, at which point both should be sent back and swapped or repaired dependent on how old they are.