1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Noob question about installing a fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Threefiguremini, 30 Sep 2009.

1. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Background:
    Right, in the near future I'll be attempting my first ever build so I'll probably have a load of noob questions to ask (this being the first :)). As this is my first time I thought I'd make life simple for myself and pick out hardware based on Bit-Tech's suggestions. So I've gone for the CM HAF 922 and bought an extra side fan (antec big boy).
    Questions:
    1) I assume as this is a fan on the side of the case I want it sucking in?
    2) To get it to suck in is it just a case of mounting it one way round or the other?
    3) The fan didn't come with any screws and my case doesn't seem to have any screws that will fit, any ideas?
    I had a search through the forums and couldn't find an answer so I hope this hasn't been asked before. Thanks:thumb:

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yes, yes, and buy some fan screws.

3. Threefiguremini

4. Threefiguremini

Don't know if I'm missing something but I just tried lining up the fan with the case and it's not even close to lining up with the holes. What am I doing wrong? I assumed it would work as it was recommended in the last What Hardware? review. :confused:

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Pics? You probably bought the wrong size fan.

6. Threefiguremini

7. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

have you tried turning the fan round? the size should fit

8. Threefiguremini

I've tried it every way I can think of, I even measured the fan to make sure it is 200mm. Dunno what to do now apart from maybe trying to screw it directly to the mesh, not sure if that would work though.

9. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

it will fit! you just need to spin the fan around and move it until the holes line up, i know sometimes when i'm fiddling around with something and for the life of me i can not get it to fit/work and in the end it's something really stupid.

10. Threefiguremini

I do see what you're saying and I've done it many times before but I really can't see this fitting. I measured the width of the hole in the case and they are roughly 160mm apart, then I measured the spacing of the holes in the fan and they are about 153mm apart. So there's no way they're going to fit. I've attached photos which give you a rough idea.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you think I could attach it with cable ties?

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

screw one corner in place, but dont tighten it up allow the fan to rotate about that axises. then try and line up the oposite corner, if that oposite corner dosen't align then something is wrong.

Threefiguremini likes this.
  12. Threefiguremini

If I screw in one corner and rotate the fan none of the others line up. I tried screwing it to the mesh i.e. not using the the areas designed to have a fan fixed to it but the screws are smaller than the mesh size so just pass through it. :wallbash:

13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Sorry to state the obvious but, washers?

Might not look to pretty but then neither would cable ties, probably get some black washers if you look around enough.

14. Threefiguremini

Yeah maybe it'll have to come to that, it's just annoying because I thought it would fit straight off. Damn you Bit-Tech for recommending something that doesn't work (for me at least ;)) ......

Actually looks like I'm not the only one http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode...umber=1&msgcount=9&subpage=1&product_id=38996 (the post by BiOHaZaRcl )

15. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

hmm that does suck about the holes. How about hot glue gun? or if you can buy them seperatly the rubber screw things that you get with the Sharkoon Silent Eagle fans.

16. Threefiguremini

Yeah, I found some black rubber washer things lying around the house and I've used those so it doesn't look to bad. It's going to be under my desk so I wont see it much anyway. Cheers guys for your help!

17. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

I think its one of thos 140mm fans with 120mm mounting or something along those lines...

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah except its a 200 mm fan lol

19. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

There you go then, its probably something stupid no one has like 180mm instead of 200mm

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

these big fans i think are manufacture related, hence why a antec fan wont fit in a cooler master case.

Its retarded to be honest, just sell the fan and get the right one regardless of reviews.