1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noob Question Regarding Cold Cathodes....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BuckeyeNUT, 27 Aug 2004.

1. BuckeyeNUT

BuckeyeNUT What's a Dremel?

I'd like to take a brief moment to express my admiration for the hard-core modders on this site... You guys do some really great work!! :rock:

I'm in the beginning stages of my very first mod... Just completed a killer chemical window etch this afternoon. Still have to cut the window, but that'll be taken care of this weekend. Following that, I'm planning on installing two 12" cold cathodes.

I would like to remove the stock switch on these and run both lights from a single Bulgin Vandal Switch as seen here: http://xoxide.com/bulginswitch1.html

I would just like to know if there's a guide out there on how to do this or if someone can give me some advice.... Seems like there is a good chance that this question has been asked before, but I was unable to find it using the search...

Thanks in advance

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

There is no way to run it from a momentery (thats what the switch is) unless you build a flip-flop cuircut. If it were me i would use leds insted of CCFLs. Their inverters tend to light on fire.

3. BuckeyeNUT

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

If at all possible, could you point me in the direction for a guide on how to use a momentary switch for LED's? Sorry to be asking for so much hand holding here, but I just want to make sure this gets done properly...

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Its ok, i was new once too. do you have AIM or MSN?? Im tm36usa on aim and tm36usa on msn too. I will be on for a while.

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

6. Fry

Fry What's a Dremel?

yes, the inverters catch fire semi rarely. but has anyone thought of... *GASP* mounting it on the back of the case. im doing that in 4 days when mine arrive, im drilling 2 holes and mounting it inbetween (if the wires go in one side and out the other) if not just 1 hole, near the bottom of the PSU that way if it catches fire it will only scorch my case and maybe the power wire, wont ruin my hardware. i think its worth having a small box on the outside of your case to prevent your computer going up in flames.

-Fry

7. BuckeyeNUT

Appreciate the welcome jazzle...

Please accept my apologies for the noob question I posted here... What a way to clutter up these boards! :duh:

Anyways, I think I have the gist on what exactly a momentary switch is, and unless I'm mistaken, I see that it wouldn't be feasible with LED's either.

The flip-flop diagram that was posted here is WAY beyond my abilities right now. Although it does look like a challenging undertaking that I may try sometime in the near future... For the time being I'm just guess I'll just have to settle for another alternative. This seems like it would do the trick, but once again I'd like some confirmation before I begin...

Many thank you's again... you all make a noob feel right at home! :D

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

don't worry about clutter - i realise i must'a sounded rude and that wasn't the intention.
    anyhoo - glad you found an alternative.