1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Nooby fan controller question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SwiftDestiny101, 19 Jul 2009.

1. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Never used a fan controller before so forgive me if this seems noobish....

You might have seen me askig for help on shutting up my PC on here and fan controllers were mentioned, so I'm gonna have a go.

My PC has 7 fans, the 3 big ones built into the ATCS 840 and 4 Enermax Magma's. Dug up an old issue of CPC and the 2 top rated fan controllers are both 4 channel, so I was gonna split my PC up like:

Channel 1: 1 x Stock (Front)
    Channel 2: 3 x Enermax (Mid)
    Channel 3: 2 x Stock (Top)
    Channel 4: 1 x Enemax (Rear)

Research shows the voltage of an Enermax fan is 4.8W, and my stock fan says on it "12V, 0.4A" so that works out it should also be 4.8W. With this in mind my highest loaded channel is 14.4 W (4.8 * 3)...is this right?, I have no idea if watts stack like that.

On that basis the Akasa Fan Control Pro with 17W per channel should work just fine, because 14.4 < 17....again am I still working this out right?

I have know idea if watts work as simply as that so if someone could confirm that's right?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It might sound a bit counterproductive, but can you not get your mobo to PWM control some of your fans? That would help slim down what you need to do. Most mobo's have at least a couple of temp-controlled fan headers.

And yes, your maths is right.

Power draw for an Enermax at 12V & 0.4V = (12*0.4) = 4.8W

For a 17W max channel you can happily run 3 of them.

:thumb:

3. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Thanks for your speedy reply pal! It's always comforting to have a professional eye cast over what your doing :)

I tried a few on the mobo, and even with Asus Q-Fan on silent it still runs them at 1200 rpm. I tried that fan expert software but it insisted on perpetually crashing on Win 7, first with EAccessViolation then when I got round that Access Read Violation so I gave up :p

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Only thing wrong with your post. Everything else was fine.

That's a lot of fans, though!