1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nooh's Watercooled HD3870 & Modded Rad Housing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nooh, 3 Dec 2007.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I know it's 29 posts late but welcome to the forums.

The idea is great and I've been working on a similar external cooling unit, with quick disconnect couplings.

I cant help myself and please dont take this the wrong way but what you have done is not only an enormous waste of money but vastly overcomplicated and a waste of time. The best you could hope to achieve would be constant ambient temps under load, however I see the cpu is at 47c. Your never going to get below ambient temps with water cooling without the use of peltier elements.

The reason I say this is because you could achieve the same performance from 1 pump, 1 radiator, 1 reservoir & 3 fans. The number of fans and pumps your running will also add to the overall noise, regardless of whether they are low noise or not.

Again it's a great idea, and of course your entitled to do whatever you want. It's just a total waste of money since the 1 pump, 1 radiator, 1 reservoir & 3 fans would have done the same thing....just cheaper and more efficiently.

:worried:

2. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

I was at first going to do it with 1 pump but later went on to two pumps.

Its funny you say this but I tried this with two rads and the gpu alone and I got better temps than when I added the SB to the loop. So in the future 1 component 1 rad. Watercooling isnt suppose to be cheap . It doesnt boast of great temps either but its fun and its for the top end market where money is not a issue anyway. I see it like this I have three watercooling kits.

In the end I wanted two watercooling kits and I have most of that now. I wanted to experiement and that I did. Money waste or no waste but I really never did it for great gain in temps. It was something I always wanted to try and thats about it really. You know something after it was up and running it was about 20hours later that I decided to check the temps. I wanted to make a rad housing with rollers on it and later in the future I want to use three pumps with three loops so I want to get as many items as I could for that.

Yes I have spent a awful lot of money on this project but i enjoyed it. It is my first ever mod and my first ever watercooling setup.

there is another thing you are missing and that the CPU Mosfet and NB are all on one Rad not two. The GPU and the SB is on 2 Rads. I tried only the GPU on 2 rads and it does make a difference about 25%.

I wanted to see for myself and expereince it for myself and that I did.

3. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

There is this 1 thing which I dont think is right about what you have to say and it this . When you have more rads the load temps and the idle temps will be very close . I played crysis at 1080p max res so i know I am pushing the card and check the temps. Idle is 37c and load is 40c , that cant be bad. I cant see it do that if I had one rad. So all of these guys who tell me it doesnt make a differnece I think they are wrong.

[​IMG]
    That pic is a full 1080p res and has been scaled down for the forum.

[​IMG]

Thats on idle , see the differnce of 2-3c . I dont think I would have got that if I used one rad.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2007
  4. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

So here are the orhos load results on the CPU.

Now on this the difference from idle to load is higher than what we saw on the Gpu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the future will like to try one loop on one component.

5. Jazza

Jazza What's a Dremel?

amazing work there love what you have done to it, where money is no issue go wild...which in a way you have. To get best cooling put a freezer around it........

lol

6. Jazza

Jazza What's a Dremel?

just curious but all in all how much did that cost you?

thanks

7. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

Have you tried using rivatuner or something other than CCC to overclock the GPU? What sort of overclock do you want to achieve for the CPU?

8. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

Damn this looks Nice

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nice build, but I can't help thinking what's the point.. I mean yes, you build an experimental setup, but it just doesn't make any difference if the load temperature is 40 or 50 C. And that's why it doesn't either make a difference if there's one, two or three loops. In practice that is... Sure you'll get some degrees of difference, but so what?

10. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

This is how my whole setup looks . Sorry about the mess . Its not usually like this but at the mo I am doing some database work so there are a lot of a4 papers around . The 40" is perfect for using Excess

[​IMG]

The Watercooling build cost me about £600 , the Allumimium grid is different.

@ jipa, everyone is differnrt. Something you might pay £10 for I may pay £20 , and somethings you pay £20 for I may pay £10. To some the extra few degree's is worth spending so much and to some its not.

Look I will tell you this one more time , this is something I have always wanted to try . I do have a few regrets and that is why the hell did I put the SB on the GPU loop when before I had 26c idle and 29c load and now its 37c idle and 40c load because I put the SB and still I have people telling me that it doesnt make a differnce .The numbers speak for themselves.I hate it when people want to argue without backing anything up . I am giving you results with 1 rad and all the blocks on it and 2 rads with 1 block on it and then later 2 rads and 2 blocks on it and yes thee is a different. The difference is enough for me to go and even try 5 rads in the future and watch me I will. Also another regret is Why didnt I buy another two Rads and maybe two more pumps.

11. francisl1420

If you get the same overclock with the SB in the loop as you did when you have it in the loop then it doesn't really matter even tho you would get lower temps. If your still worried about it you run another loop for the NB, SB and MOSFETS with a single 120 radiator and that should provide enough cooling for them.

12. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

I might do that in the future. 1 thing I learnt whilst doing this is keeping the CPU and GPU on there own if your going to be overclocking. I miss seeing the 26c temp for the gpu. For the past two years the temps I have seen for gpu's have been horrendous like 80c + and then I saw 26c and I couldn't beleive it.

13. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Could you test the cpu-temps with double Orthos? Just because you only stressed 2 of the 4 cores with that single orthos. It doesn't support more than 2 threads so 2 cores remained mainly idle.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2007
  14. francisl1420

Try OCCT to stress the CPU. Have you used anything else to overclock the GPU?

15. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

There were two instances running of orthos . Things were very jerky when i took the printscreen but I asure you there were two instances. Things more a less came to a halt. The temps increase was far more than what you saw for the GPU loop . I wasnt too pleased with the CPu temps and if I had to play it again I wold have kept the cpu on its own on loop. Adding more components to the loop just messes the whole cooling up. Well thats what i make of it.

On the overclocking of the gpu. Its quite pointless and not as simple as CPu overlcoking were you have more control. I need to either volt modded or get a bios which will up the core vcore. I have already updated a BIOS but now need to wait for one which is better than the exisiting one I have.

16. francisl1420

You can take things further with RivaTuner than the sliders max on CCC. You should be able to push it a bit further before you need a voltage mod.

17. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Well I was just looking at the task manager and it just seemed like only 2 cores were tested. Im just surprised that your temps are this high even at those clocks. My friend had similar temps with an overclocked 8800gtx in the same loop with just a 2x120mm rad cooling them.

18. francisl1420

Its B3 stepping. Temps do seem a little high for stock, have you got enough airflow in the water case thingy?

19. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Well I the loop I was refering to also had a B3 Q6600...:) Btw. Are you sure you had the affinities set so that the different orthos instances tested different cores?

20. nooh

nooh What's a Dremel?

I was ging to lap this cpu but it was going to be sold so I never got round doing it. See how it goes in the next month or so . If I dont sell it and I know I will be keeping it I will go the extra mile and lap it.

Also this mobo I am using is new . I just got it a few days ago and I dont know wether its the mobo which is giving the wrong temps. I asked marcus and he said it seems right.