1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Noooo, I let my GF touch my computer!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by JY_OC_HX, 3 Mar 2011.

1. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Hey.
    I have made a major boo boo.
    MAJOR.
    I let my girlfriend use my works laptop and she started mucking about with user accounts and trying to be clever, like they do.:duh:
    When she decided i no longer needed a domain and now need a work-group.
    I now cannot log on.
    not 100% sure what she did but she said she clicked to change me to a workgroup.
    Any help would be appreciated as i cant google up much on the subject. :wallbash:

It comes up with error cannot log onto domain. But there is no domain entry box.
    I do not want to have to go to it department if it is avoidable.
    I do not have a restore disc.
    Could i possibly burn one form a collegue or an old laptop and would this transfer the right network settings or am i best knackering the hard drive and saying it must've been faulty bearing in mind its only 3month old!!!

Thanks

Pete J likes this.
  2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Log on as a local account, go into Computer Properties and reattach to the domain. If it's a work PC, you more than likely won't be able to reattach it yourself I'm afraid. You will definitely have to do it when you're in the office.

You don't need to restore anything.

Time to do two things:

1. Ban your girlfriend from anything relating to your work. Period.
    2. Bring it to your IT department and let them reattach it.

If you want to cover for her, say it just happened. Noone at work will bat an eyelid as it takes less than a minute to fix.

thehippoz and JY_OC_HX like this.
  3. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Only problem in taking it to it is i turned winvnc and a whole bunch of monitoring software off.
    Believe me she is banned from tv, xbox, dvd and computer. The only electrical appliances she can go near either contain food or water.

I cant log on at all. Not even local.

Im hoping for a way of doing it on the sly

4. Phalanx

If you can't even logon locally, you can't do anything. Nothing sly. Sorry.

You'll have to hand this one in mate. Also, the monitoring software is there for a reason, to make your life easier when problems like this occur. Don't turn it off (coming from an IT Engineer who has to handle people like this daily). We don't put it on there to check what you're doing; it's there to make our lives easier fixing things.

5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Just to echo and reinforce Ph4lanx's points; you would *NEED* a Domain Administrator account to put it back on the domain and you *NEED* to do this in the office. As you uninstalled VNC they'll have to come and visit you at your desk to do it, so if you've got a big company they may make a fuss of this? Usually something written into a company's IT policy that you don't uninstall that kinda stuff, so I can understand why you wouldn't wanna go to them, but still, you actually cannot fix it solo.

thehippoz and JY_OC_HX like this.
  6. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

If i take it in is there any way they could find out what has happened or would they just have to do something simple to reload domain.
    is there no way doing a restore from an xp image of an old setup would help restore the domain?

7. Phalanx

No, a restore would not add it back to the domain. You wouldn't have their domain details in the restored image, so no.

They couldn't find out per se other than what they can see and what you tell them. If I were them I would ask why is it off the domain and why is the software missing. However you can bet your ass I would be watching your account activity like a hawk after that! :)

8. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Ok. I havent uninstalled vnc ive just disabled it in startup and services. I know VNC is a good tool. the other guys in my office have turned it off and they suggested i do the same. Seems as though i was new i didn't want to argue. Stupid in heinsight i know. It is a big company. But the saving grace is that the it department is round the corner and i can take it to them.

Thanks for the replies and i guess this is a lesson learned the hard way

9. Phalanx

No problem, but tell your girlfriend she owes you at least a full meal out somewhere for the trouble ;)

10. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

So theres no log of exactly what would have caused it.
    What would you accept as a reasonable explanation?
    I try not to get upto anything at work that would risk my job so im not bothered about that.

11. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

Could i possibly say that one of my pieces of software ( remote programmable logic controller) software conflicted with it?

Last edited: 3 Mar 2011
  12. Phalanx

Just tell them you disabled VNC because you're not IT-literate and your work colleagues told you to (the truth). They will just shrug (I would and reenable it). Then they might change the policy to not allow you to tamper with it, but that's it.

As for the domain... Well it just happened guv ;)

Edit: No, keep the ideas simple. Get too complicated and they will ask how you found out.

13. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

We have to have the rights to have full privelidges but i could've just opened up a sore wound with them because they fought tooth and nail not to let the 4 of us have these rights so i dont wanna grass on the lads.
    I think i can get away with taking it in and not saying exactly that vnc has been disabled and then just allowing it back in the startup

14. Phalanx

Christ, users on my network would NEVER get administrator priviledges on ANY PC. You were lucky!

15. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Just say your girlfriend did it when you went out. Then tell them it won't happen again because she won't be able to from under the patio. Trust me, they won't hassle you then

Pete J and lp rob1 like this.
  16. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I see why they call you 'soviet'...

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Normally, you have a local account, and then your domain account.
    Usually, you click on the "Option" (or was it "More") button (XP only), and you can pick between local (it will be written the computer name" or domain (domain name will be displayed). This is if you are already on a domain. If your not.. then well simply log-in locally. You need to be connected to the domain server to re-establish adding your account. Sadly, you MAY lose everything since your last sync with the server.

For Vista/7 it auto-detects (if it's on the domain), and if their is a conflict you have add the computer name, followed by a "\" back slash, and then type the user name, on the user username box. A good IT setup, has no conflicts.

When out of the domain.. well, like XP, you just log-in locally.

I believe our computer is a one provided by your school or company, and not by you (unless you setup a domain system at home).

Note: In order to re-add yourself to the domain, you will need to remove the computer from the server before. Else, the server will go "Conflict! I already have a computer with that SID number"

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ha!

Bad luck OP!

Women are not allowed ANYWHERE near my rig unless under supervision. Sorry girls, but some of you do seem to have that 'magic' touch :D .

19. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

rookie mistake! My gf isnt allowed on the computer when im not in the room!

20. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Can you not use OPH crack to get the admin password for the laptop and put the domain details in yourself? :/