1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Noritake 128x64 VFD technical thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by linear, 13 Jan 2003.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

OK, hold the phone.

First, an answer. Yes, there will be a full tutorial.

Now things like that don't just come into existance fully formed like Athena sprang from the forehead of Zeus.

None of the prospective tutorial writers have seen the display before, some of them still don't have theirs yet, or maybe there's some other things that need doing first before we write a tutorial for you.

So I suggest that you sit down, try to keep your hands to yourself, and wait for the tutorial you need. If that doesn't suit your schedule, I invite you to write one your self.

2. ATFNegotiator

ATFNegotiator What's a Dremel?

oo harsh :D i would like to see a tutorial made also, i'm curious, I think wiring it parallel is easiest for them n00bz :D but for me, im trying out a serial converter i found (RS232->TTL) so i can hook it up to my computa :D Ill tell you how it goes (when i get the VFD's of course :)

3. Thermite

Thermite What's a Dremel?

i'm sorry if that came off the wrong way. Linear i know exactly what you mean, when there was the BG Micro VFD craze i felt the same way about getting one out.

And thanks for the updated info

4. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I'm sorry :sigh:

changed from impatient type of post to a useful post!

Ok, heres something helpful. incase noone has tried it besides me, you can take the black connectors on IDE cables and hack some of the holes off to make a connector that fits into the slots and pins on this display. I have done this already and it works a charm. you'll have to cut down the top piece too. then just clamp it all together with some glue once you get the wires in right and there you go.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2003
  5. linear

linear Minimodder

Okay, look. The wiring is not universal. It's dependent on the software. some parallel LCD software supports multiple wiring schemes.

I can understand everyone's impatience, and desire to get some eye candy going in their case. But please, posts like the above, they don't really contribute anything.

I'm shipping a display to Henri, who is the author of LCDinfo. Hopefully he can add support for this unit, because his software rocks. I would suggest that you download it (don't forget the support files you need) and try it out, make some new screens, whatever.

http://www.skippari.net/lcd/lcdinfo.html

6. ChriX

ChriX ^

It doesn't matter about liquid mp3 because you can set how the display is wired on that.

Well done on shipping a display to Henri, I was going to do it myself, but all my VFDs are taken already, plus they haven't arrived yet anyway.

7. m4rk

m4rk What's a Dremel?

8. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the kind words about LCDInfo, linear. :)

I know LCDInfo isn't the most user friendly software to get familiar with but if anyone has any problems you are welcome to the LCDInfo forum to ask for help.

Also I wan't to thank linear for the Noritake display he has sent me. Thank you! I hope to get it working with LCDInfo soon.

One thing I was wondering if there are any other wirings published than the one that AmiMoJo posted earlier ? Wiring shouldn't be any problem in LCDInfo as the next version supports user definable wiring like LiQuiD-MP3 but I think it would be best if there's some "standard" everyone's using.

9. linear

linear Minimodder

I'd say we're in a good position right here/now to set the standard. (The crowd at [H] seems to be miles behind.) I'd like to be compatible with the widest number of packages, but it seems that most of the parallel graphic software is headed for a user-defineable wiring scheme.

Henri, what would make it easiest on you? And will that be acceptable with Liquid-MP3?

10. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

I don't think the wiring matters much to me. I'd just like to use something that's already used (if there's one) so not to break anyone's compatibility. I could ask Zotty what he's been using with LiQuiD-MP3.

11. linear

linear Minimodder

Good call, my guess is that everyone will want to use Liquid-MP3 and LCDinfo both, since they mainly complement each other.

12. Hindaine

Hindaine What's a Dremel?

13. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

14. linear

linear Minimodder

who let this get off the first page?

Here's my wiring tutorial.

Wiring the Noritake VFD for parallel, cheaply.

OK, this will address all wiring connections you need to make this display work.

Parts needed:
    2 DB25 male connectors (salvage these from an old AT case)
    1 DB25 female connector on 26-pin ribbon cable with 2x13 connector (salvage this as well)
    1 1x3 LED tail (like the power LED connector on many cases--salvage this)
    Get down to your local shop and sweet talk the techs there out of this stuff. Crap like this goes in the trash every day. If you have an old AT case, it's likely got the parts, except it will only probably have 1 DB25 male.
    hookup wire
    solder

Power cable is easy. Wire one side to +5V (molex Red) and the other to ground (molex black). The pin header is 0.100" spacing, so this will fit it nicely. Pin 1 gets the +5V. IF you need to, move the pin in the housing by pulling the clip open and reinserting the ground pin into position 3. If you can't find a 1x3, get a couple 1x2s and trim them down to 1x1s and use them instead.

Okay, now the interesting one. For the data cable, we'll use the DB25 female to 2x13. The 2x13 side connects to the big header on the display. It's even keyed properly so that pin 1 is aligned. Now you have the easy part of the data wiring done.

The part that's fun is building a cross-connect between your printer port and the port we just attached to the card. We'll do this by soldering wires to the solder cups on the back of the two DB25 male connectors. So start by opening the housings, and unwire them from the serial cables that are attached.

Take a marker and label one of the DB25 male connectors as your VFD connector. The DB25 connectors should be labeled on the pin side with pin numbers. If not, refer to the diagrams at the bottom of this post. Now you need to wire the two connectors together following the plan shown below (this is taken from the Liquid-MP3 wiring):

Code:
    Parallel port      VFD             Signal
    -------------      ---             ------
       1               23              /CSS
       2               15              Data0
       3               13              Data1
       4               11              Data2
       5               9               Data3
       6               7               Data4
       7               5               Data5
       8               3               Data6
       9               1               Data7
       10-13           NC
       14              21              /RD
       15              NC
       16              17              /WR
       17              19              C//D
    As Plumingo observed, the Even numbered pins 2-24 are connected to the display's ground plane. You need not make connections to them. I have verified this as well.

Code:
    DB25 male pinout
    -----------------------------------------
    \ 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 /
     \ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 /
       -----------------------------------

DB25 female pinout
     -----------------------------------------
    \ 13 12 11 10 9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1 /
     \ 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 /
       -----------------------------------

There may be other wiring schemes that work, I've seen at least one. The data pins won't vary, it's the Strobe, auto feed, and select in signals that may differ among wiring plans. Better software will let you adjust the configuration of those (tips hat to Henri).

15. linear

linear Minimodder

I would expect that Liquid-MP3 + LCDinfo is the winning combination, so Henri, ifthe above wiring works for you, it is the "right" wiring. The Markuszehnder plugin pics I've seen are pretty unimpressive compared to Liquid-MP3 and LCDinfo anyway.

16. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

does those data ground pins (2,4,6...24) all go together to the power ground pin (3)?? or can we just ignore them??:worried:

17. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

If you follow the traces on the board, they are already connected together on the board.

18. linear

linear Minimodder

Awesome. I'll verify that and modify the diagram above then.

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

You really don't need to ground pins 18-25 on the // port either, I never have with the multitude of other // displays I've wired and I've never had any problems...

Rob.

20. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Ok Even easier, pins {2,4,6,...,22,24} are also connected to the same ground trace, or rather plane on the board... No need to externally connect these together and to ground either, Maybe run just one of them to the ground for the db25 plug to keep on the consistant differential voltage track...(so logic level isn't "floating" but has a common reference)