1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noritake GU126x32F-K612A4 graphic VFD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 19 Jul 2002.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Re: New Price for kit

Damn You! Damn You all To HELL:D

Why do you tempt me so much - I need one, but I've got nowhere to put it.... I can't justify another VFD (I've got two as it is!) after spending so much on my MO!!!

2. DrPsycho

DrPsycho What's a Dremel?

Havent gotten my response yet, and i hope the 96$ is the final price, cause i won't be able to afford much more..

3. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

My mail left 1 hour ago, so we'll see how it goes. As for the final price, I fear that "vadertje staat" will want his cut as with everything else :(. He'll probably add some additional taxes for good measure (e.g. recupel). I'm counting on something like €125.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the credit-card by mail though, hope they have a secure site.

4. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

I also mailed the head-office in germany but they quoted a price of €123.98 for the display only and don't offer the credit-card payment so I'm gonna give them a miss.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How do i order one exactly? Just email the uk email on page 4 asking for one (would i get an order no. then?)? or just send a chq with my address?

Also - how much is LCDC anyone or is there enough functionality to use it as freeware/shareware?

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It costs $17.50, and it's worth every cent.

http://lcdc.planetdps.com/purchase.htm

You can the full functionality for 30 days without registering, but it has a nag screen on startup with a timer stopping you from hiting the ok button (and continuing the load) for 5 seconds.

I'm guessing it I'll stop working after the 30 days, but as I rgeistered my copy, I don't know. Best ask Mat.

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

to all your fellow belgium guys

Uhm , to all the fellow belgium guys

wouldnt it be cheaper if we would buy them toghether ?

I am not sure .. but I think they give discounts if you buy more then 1 ...

just a thought ...

and olso , just 1 time shipping cost .. 1 time paying costs ...

stuff like that ...

BELGIUM ROX :) lol , well ... not really .. just wanted to say that

8. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

To order a VFD email sales@noritake-itron.com and you should get an email back confirming reservation for 7 days.
    Next you send them a cheque and a bit of paper with your name address for them to so they know where to send it to.

Quote Kit number: KGU126X32F-K612A4
    Price: £66.68 including VAT and postage

Kane

Last edited: 25 Jul 2002
  9. DrPsycho

DrPsycho What's a Dremel?

Anybody got a mail back at this time?

cause i'm still waiting for mine ;)

10. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Guys... I'm reaaaaalllly sorry, I'm not trying to get you toasted by your beloved other halves and I promise I'll stop teasing you into buying one. Sooo don't look at the updated picture in the first post err and this, err don't download that (because it's a nice all in lcdc example, with a very flashy startup, winamp screen, stat screen, big temp screen and closing screen) :D

r.

p.s. wish I had a decent digicam to take a video of this running :(

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

TO answer some software questions...

LCDC is great and this display works well with it, though drawing a pretty screen can take a while. LCDC won't let you have 'lil animated icons (well not easily at any rate) nor a nice winamp visualisation - but they're about the only things that custom software for this dislay could do better. Personally atm I'm not overly bothered by either, though I might work on them ;) LCDC lets you do sooo much, display so many different things - it's hard to imagine that someone who write custom software for this display that would be better in the long run, they'd have to spend a lot of time on it.

For a display like this (with so many features) LCDC is worth it's money but you could use the free lcd smartie. Scrolling would be a nono in smartie as you'd have to lie and say you had a 40 character length line and waste the first 19 formatting your screen... but I'm sure you could make the display look nice in lcd smartie is you were determined enough ;)

Cheers,

r.

12. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Have you got a poor digi cam you can use? :D

Kane

13. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

Nope, but they are in the us so there's at least a 7 hours time-difference.

14. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

And they are probably swamped with request for more info by all the non uk-folk here ;)

15. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

hmmm.... I emailed to "Our email, address is sales@noritake-itron.com" I found in the post referring to the sale in the us. Now I'm not so sure it isn't the email address from the uk-branch...

16. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Last edited: 25 Jul 2002
  17. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Hehe just be patient, lots of people have had replies - I'm sure yours will be along soon :) It's worth any wait, trust me (I waited months for the new command set so I could do the review ;) ).

Cheers,

r.

p.s. Yeah I have a bad video of it, it's very bad though - not worth your download time (and not my 28k upload time) :(

18. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

Re: to all your fellow belgium guys

Not sure how you would organize payment though. Just use one credit-card and banktransfers to the payer ? And then there is of course still the costs for "taxipost" because I wouldn't trust the regular postoffice (my uncle works there and I've seen how they handle packages, man :( )

19. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

This display has given me a good idea for my final year Computer Science programming project... any suggestions how I blag it so they actually let me use it?

Kane

20. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

blag ?

what does the work blag mean ?

I'm thinking it means , making up a story around it so they approve the use of it ?

well ...

explain that that the lcd is extension for your computer , just like a monitor ...

Tags: Add Tags