1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noritake KGU126X64F-K612A4 graphic VFD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 28 Aug 2002.

1. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Noritake have done it again :D

{param}

Review :: here ::

Files

Latest LCDC files (26/08/02) :: here :: - Note: Support for this display in LCDC is unofficial, I wouldn't advise you buy a copy of lcdc for this display

Great quick start installation guide for this display in LCDC written by Kane (cheers mate!) :: here :: - Version 2.07 now available!'. (right click and 'save target as' the link, left clicking might not work!)

PDF file for the display :: here ::

Comments/questions/suggestions/problems?

Rob.

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Damn you Cheese, Damn you to hell! You know how weak willed I am when it comes to these sorts of things....

Can you give the dimensions of the display - is it roughly the same size a 4 X 20 MO display?

I hate to say it, but I neeeeeeed one of these!:D

And when do we get to see LCDG?

3. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Any chance of a data sheet for this one Rob?

Could you post it above like you did in the other article thread please.

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Datasheet is in the review... but I'll add a link in the first post in a mo;)

:lol: GOO - knew you were going to say that.

PCB size is 72x129mm (4x20 character vfd is 60x98mm) :)

Rob.

5. GreatOldOne

What's the actual screen (the glass) size? - the PDF dosen't mention.

Ta,

GOO

6. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Do you mean the glass size or the display area?

7. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

kit for the smaller one?

do you have prices on the smaller screen size version?
    ta

8. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Smaller version is £66 all inc (display, cables, filter and inland postage) until the end of the month, £78 from then on.

Goo, glass size is 59x117mm if you trust my ruler'ing ;)

r.

9. GreatOldOne

I trust ya - thousands wouldn't though!:D

10. Funks

Funks VFD man

Rob,

Thanks for reviewing the bigger brother of the GU126X32F that you've all been so enamored with. I hope that everyone here likes this VFD module as much.
    :idea: To everyone I'd like to say that if you have any problems, questions, queries relating to the VFD module itself, please address them to me here in this forum thread. (LCDC and sw problems Rob will do his best to solve)

If you need price and availability information please look at the first post and the review. If those don’t satisfy you or anything is unclear please address your questions to me directly by email to p.dakin@noritake-itron.com or our sales office sales@noritake-itron.com I don’t get to monitor this forum regularly so direct email is best and quickest.

:eek: Please try not to burden the other Noritake sales offices with queries, they'll only pass them on to me 2 or 3 days later! ;)

I hope you all enjoy using Itron VFDs.

Phil
    Itron (UK) Ltd

11. Funks

Funks VFD man

Re: kit for the smaller one?

Hi jazzzyj,

You have mail!! :D
    I've sent you an email direct via Bit-Tech. Any questions please mail me at any time. :)

Phil
    Itron (UK) Ltd

12. mischaiscool

mischaiscool What's a Dremel?

Phil:

On a side note; how much more expensive would it be to do these two units using a different coloured phosphur? I've been looking at your sites, custom glass modules, and they can have different colours. i know that would cost a lot to have multiple colours, but is it more expensive to have red instead of white on the whole thing?

13. Funks

Funks VFD man

COloured Phosphors

Hello Mischa,
    In theory its only a very small on cost or even the same cost.

However, the real reason is that the low voltage “coloured” phosphors used for VFDs have a shorter life than the standard blue/green. The standard phosphor will last well over 50,000 hours, typically 60,000 to 80,000 hours to half brightness, which is the definition point. A useful life for a blue/green VFD is around 100,000 hours or more.
    However some colours can last only as little as 5,000 to 10,000 hours to half brightness, so that’s a big difference.

There are other factors like absolute brightness (or more correctly luminosity) that are also relatively low compared to the blue/green.

So in short it can be done (and at a V high price) but don't expect the display to be as bright or last as long! :D

EDIT We can't do it for small quantities, its not like choosing a new colour for the walls, we're making over 400,000 VFD tubes per month, so small quantities are impossible! :waah:

Phil
    Itron (UK) Ltd

EDIT
    All phosphor screens (CRTs, Plasma, EL etc) are susceptible to this effect when they have long term fixed images, and this applies to VFDs too.
    However, if all the pixel phosphors are used equally (or as nearly equally as your various screen images will allow) the whole screen diminishes in luminosity over time at the same rate, so there will be no apparent "burning" or ghosting images seen.

Phil.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2002
  14. mischaiscool

mischaiscool What's a Dremel?

Thanks Phil,

i apreciate the info. Heres another question for you: Do vfd's in general suffer from any kind of "screen burn" or anything, ie, could you have all pixels on 100% and leave them going for ages? and still happily work after you switch them off? I'm guessing so, but am not sure.

15. CharlieCat

CharlieCat What's a Dremel?

Me just ordered one of these little lovelies :D

But just found out delivery will be 15-20 days :cries:

Still, they say good things come to those that wait :sigh:

Cheers, CC

16. nesbit37

nesbit37 Guest

arghhh

I must be missing something very obvious but I can not get my Noritake KGU126X64F-K612A4 to turn on. It is supposed to start itself when it recieves power correct? I went through the install guides and put all the files where I was told and still no screen. It is getting power and doing something with it tho, after a minute or so of being plugged in and doing nothing the back of the displays pcb gets very hot, all most too hot touch. Don't know if that is normal or not. At first I thought it was maybe damaged in shipping but I do get a picture when I connect pins 5 and 6 to reset the vfd to manf. defaults. When I kill the power to it and remove the paperclip, it does the same old nothing when it gets its 5v. Am I missing something or is my Noritake KGU126X64F-K612A4 a DOA?!?!?:blush:

17. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Have you set the comm speed to 9600 by sending the commands as I did, then turned the display off and set lcdc to 9600 baud (as it shows in the addendum to kane's quick start guide)?

Doesn't sound as if anything's wrong. :)

Rob.

18. Funks

Funks VFD man

Re: arghhh

Hi nesbit37,
    Just to confirm Robs comment, it sounds like the VFD module is OK. If the reset works and you see a sensible screen, the module is OK. :)
    Don't worry about things being a little warm on the reverse side, a couple of semiconductor devices can get a little hot.
    Try what Rob suggests and anything that others may post here too.
    Let us know if you have any success, by posting here.
    However, if you have no luck at all, and the working of the VFD is questionable, please contact me direct at p.dakin@noritake-itron.com and I'll see if we need to have it back to check it over.

Phil
    Itron (UK) Ltd

19. Oh_No

Oh_No What's a Dremel?

Re: arghhh

No, unless you put something in macro 0 the display will show nothing on power-up.

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you push the start/stop display in lcdc ?

20. nesbit37

nesbit37 Guest

OK let me just verify what I have done. What concerns me is that I can not tell if the display is on or off except for the fact that it is heating up. LCDC appears to be communicating with it but I see nothing happening on the display.

I have a feeling that the NoritakeA4x64-example.lcdc-cf file in the lcdc example files you have is incomplete. All that is contained in the file is

[Base]
    CommandFile=NoritakeA4-example
    DisplayCount=0
    EventCount=0

All the other display files including the demo for 32 model have some more commands that seem to make more sense then the above.

I am assuming the above is supposed to tell lcdc what to do at display 0,1,2,3 etc as well at event 0,1,2,3 etc which then passes that info on to the display?

Anyway, I can load and run other display files in the virtual display fine, but the 64-example file will not run (or at least won't do anything) in the virtual display. I have tried running some of the others (such as 4lineexample) on the Noritake display but no go.

I currently have the following set as per the guide:

LCD Connection Menu:
    COM2
    9600 baud
    NoritakeA4x64
    55% contrast
    100% VFD Brightness

LCDC config. 1/2
    Load at startup all users Yes
    Menu at startup Yes
    Noritake A4x64-example

Plugins: The following are checked

HOT
    MM5
    STI
    WA2
    WEA

( I could configure all of the above except for MM5 I am not given the option)

From here I go to the LCDC main menu and hit start/stop display and am given the following message:

No screens to display (or enabled!)

and if I go and set up a screen in screen builder and then go to send it to the vfd via LCDC start/stop LCDC will hang for about 2 minutes (presumebly sending data) and then it will go back to allowing me to change options again or it will crash.

The display is plugged into COM2 but I have tried it both in COM1 and as telling LCDC to try COM1 while it is in COM2, no go.

Again with the exception of running the A4x64 demo I can get LCDC to work properly in the Virtual Display window.

Hopefully I am just missing something here, but as far as I can tell all steps to the configuration guides have been followed. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling LCDC in case that was the problem as well as the magic reboot that usually fixes 95% of all unexplainable problems. Thanks for the help! Need any more info just let me know.

Tags: Add Tags