1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noritake VFD help!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by m0nk3y, 16 Oct 2003.

1. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

I got the Noritake KGU126X64F-K612A4 VFD Display

my vfd i just got today wont even power up? i dont know what the hell is wrong with it. i did notice after i did all the unlock eeprom stuff and went to reset the power cable, that the cable that was sent with it the red one (ground) was broken.. so running the vfd off of 5v straight with no ground.. would that destroy it?

ok i soldered on the wires back to their connector and have everything wired up. I followed the quick start directions and still nothing...

set speed to 9600 and did that unlock eeprom [##27]I[##1] thing. Yet i still get no display screens for lcdc on the display.

I also reset the device and i did see it say its factory default screen.

What am i doing wrong, is this software side or hardware side?

UPDATE
    ----------

I did the restart on it with the paperclip and i see the factory writing which lets me know the vfd still works... however i have tried the connecting data cable upside down and right side up and it and restarted like 10 times each time configuring it following the guide posted on bit-tech. I still get nothing on the screen.

I am really getting fed up, i dont know if its a bad data cable or what but jesus christ can someone help me. I have posted this like 2 weeks ago and not one person has helped.

If i click on auto detect the display prints a "7" in the upper left of the vfd scrreen but it doesnt detect a screen.

SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HELP ME!@

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Are you sure the Baud rate for the VFD and program match, sounds simple i know, but i've had LCDs behaving like this when i've mismatched the bauds.

Sorry i can't help you more, Cheese is the man for stuff like this, perhpas post it in the LCD FAQ?

3. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

What do you mean do the VFD baud rate and the program match? Dont i set the baud rate through the program which sets it on the VFD? or is there a command to manually set the baud rate of the vfd?

I am using LCDC and have the baud rate set to 9600 after i send the command UnlockEEPROM followed by text entry [##27]I[##1]. Is this wrong?

I would love for cheese to help but i have posted in the article discussion and the electronics forums and no one has posted, not even cheese.

4. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

cmon guys someone has gotta know what the hell is goin on with the vfd

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It mebbe you need to mod the serial port.

Read the thread in article dicussion, i had a problem with getting the display to work and it turned out to be the serial cable needed rewiring.

6. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

try this...... go to start>controlpanel>system click the hardware tab and then on device manager. find the ports section right click your port and properties....... there should be a setting in there to change the baud rate... on my vfd i have to use 19200 or it just spews matrix code stuff

7. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

It could be the serial cable, thats very possible but how would i check to see if its a good one? it was sent be noritake... the power cable too but it wasnt soldered well the contacts broke on the power cable, i modded it.

I checked the device manager and it was set to 9600 properly.

8. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

Alright i checked the serial cable supplied by noritake. And yes it sucks. Heres my complaint on noritake! Send a decent power and serial cable godamnet! otherwise the vfd rocks!

----

I used this data sheet to match up the pins and they are mismatched
    http://www.bit-tech.net/images/review/120/IUKInterfaceCables-01.pdf

I also found this picture from bit-tech on putting ping 4 and 8 out of commision whcih noritake didnt do.

[​IMG]

So i need a new serial cable.. damn where do i get one of those