1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Korea detonates The bomb!!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Bbq.of.DooM, 9 Oct 2006.

1. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

It's all over the news. Earlier today, north korea detonated the bomb, about 350 miles north of the capital.

R.I.P world peace.

2. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Some won set up us the bomb?

In all seriousness, this will likely end badly for not just NK, but the whole region. :wallbash:

3. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The North Korean govt. can't feed its own people yet throws money at developing and testing nuclear weapons.

Super.

Nobody was even contemplating attacking N. Korea due to its large & modernized casualty-inflicting army.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Um, so why is this a big deal?

We've known for years they have it, all they did was prove they have it and that it works. Sure, this will piss a lot of people off, but in the end, how does this change anything? I mean, what are we going to do? There aren't really a whole lot more sanctions that can be put on NK, and even if you did all they would do is hurt the population.

I think the proper response to this is "Meh, that wasn't nice but we're not going to throw a hissy fit over it".

5. Slink

Slink B7

Yeah we have known for a long time they have the power to do so, but the big deal is they were warned not to do the testing, and went against all warnings, it seems now it's NK vs the world.

6. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

well, NK + allies vs anybody dumb enough to get involved in a land war in asia...

7. Slink

Slink B7

it only takes on dumb move from one dumb country leader to spark a massive war. lets just hope people can resolve this quickly without war.

8. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

In that respect I'd be more worried about the US than North Korea ;) Kim Jong-il may be an egocentric nut job, but at the general impression from leaders who have met him is that he is at least intelligent. Which is more than can be said of a certain leader across the pond...

9. Slink

Slink B7

lol i wonder were france will fit into all this,

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And, Kim hasn't invaded anyone in over 50 years. And Kim has a couple (by the initial reports) really small bombs that he can't deliver outside his own neighborhood. As ehrnam45 said, this is only a problem if someone tries to invade, otherwise it's a non-issue.

11. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

Don't see the bother tbh many other nations have nukes... so why is everyone getting worked up about it.

12. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

Because then they don't feel special anymore about their nukes. :D

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The govt is probably thinking "hey, how can we profit from this".

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Becuase nukes are a peacetime weapon, they don't work if everyone has them.

In effect, the global police (superpowers) couldn't keep smaller countries like NK under control becuase they'd have the same military power.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This strikes me as no big deal really. NK were just testing one of their nukes, as said we all knew that they already had a few nukes, so this doesn't really change anything.

16. dom_

dom_ --->

As people say no big deal.

The real problem is that North Korea have rattled the cage. Instead of ignoring them because it means nothing really and is of no threat (not like USA has never done it) they have decided to make a big deal of it and certain presidents have made ridiculous statements.

Guess what too... The UN have responded.

North Korea should be promptly ignored not encouraged.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Got it in one.

18. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

To me its just (another) case of NK doing something provocative probably in order to extort some concessions out of the US. I expect Kim will say in a few months, give us xx million tons of fuel this year or we'll test another one above ground, or similar.

Their whole nuclear program seems to have been conducted with the agenda of extorting concessions (aid in terms of money and fuel, access to civilian nuclear and other technologies etc) from its neighbours and the United States, as much as creating a weapon for deterrent purposes or otherwise IMHO.

North Korea already has something of a deterrent that sensibly should ensure nobody, not even the US under Bush, would start a war against it - the 5000 shells per hour it can rain down on Seoul from its conventional forces lined up along the DMZ would tend to make any war hideously costly in every sense, deterring any aggression from the US, and South Korea and Japan badly want reconciliation for the sake of their own security (which is threatened by NK much more than that of the US) so are hardly likely to kick off a war.

As Dom says, we should just ignore it, as to me ignoring NK until it inevitably collapses inwards is the only sensible option - sanctions will probably only end up doing damage to the North Korean people, rather than effecting the regime :(. Military action is unthinkable for the reason set out above, setting aside any considerations as to whether it'd be the right or wrong thing to do as well, given that we own nukes and haven't exactly set the right example in non-aggressive policies at times.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, well, if we don't bite, NK doesn't get to do any extorting. It's really no big deal whatsoever --nukes have no practical use for NK so it's just willy-waving.

20. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Didn't NK sign a pact with the US and several other countries a year or so back saying that they would begin dismantling a large portion of their nuclear weapons and not test fire them?