1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Northern lights

Discussion in 'General' started by nimbu, 23 Aug 2019.

1. nimbu

nimbu Modder

Bit of a weird random one. I'm planning to take a month off in November. I've always wanted to go see the northern lights.

Has anyone here done this? Any recommendations?

I'm not particularly outdoorsy and do get seasick on smaller boats (I've been told cruises are a different kettle of fish and that I would be ok)

Once in a lifetime thing so budget is flexible.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Iceland! It's beautiful. Or Norway/Finland above the arctic circle.

adidan likes this.
  3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

If you can afford it, Tromso in Norway is where i planed to go. Direct fights from LGW with Norwegian, or with a layover in Oslo.

Sam

4. nimbu

nimbu Modder

Gonna sound weird but any ideas on budgets?

Context I haven't been on a personal holiday in 5 years, I have been tacking on days to work trips so my cost is essentially just spending money. My work covers Monday to Friday travel, however by going Sunday to Sunday my flights are way cheaper so work agrees to pay for the hotel on Friday night and Saturday night.

Prior to that I've always used staff travel as my dad worked for ba for 30 years before he retired. Only issue became once I got married as my wife is not eligible.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My daughter went to Finland a couple of years back and went on an excursion but didn't see anything dye to cloud cover which I feel is worth noting.

I actually saw a fairly decent Northern lights show just 2 miles from my edge of the Cotswolds home which saved a lot of money lol.

6. nimbu

nimbu Modder

Lol wanna rent me a room and sell me a tour? ;)

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Been here sixteen years and it happened just the once that I saw so no money back guarantee

adidan likes this.
  8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Svalbard. Most northern populated town and well inside the Arctic circle, good aurora visibility even below kp1. Downside is cost, and the chance of being eaten by polar bears. And really, REALLY cold.

adidan likes this.
  9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I was looking at flying for a week over New Year's, currently Google Flights show those flights as about £350+ each way, but it was a lot less when I looked into it. AirBnB was cheaper for a week compared to a Hotel as well, but obviously no food offered.

You might find a cheap city break or something on last-minute, or, if you can travel with someone, maybe something on Wowcher.

Sam

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Or northern Sweden of course, anywhere in Lapland across Norway, Finland and Sweden. Or Russia if you fancy messing with visas.

TBH any of those mentioned, you just need a good dose of luck and maybe check the activity of the sun before you go.

We luckily saw them in Southern Finland years back but, yeah, that's about the same probability as seeing them in @CrapBag 's bedroom again.

If i had to choose, probably Iceland or Norway just because i love those two and spent less time there than Finland or Sweden.

Or as @edzieba says Svalbard would be my ideal choice with the best chances but i imagine that will be pricey (?).