1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nose protection?

Discussion in 'General' started by Blazza181, 20 Nov 2011.

1. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Now, anyone who frequents the "what's ruining my life/what's making my life awesome" threads may know that I play rugby, and that I recently have broken my nose in a game. I am getting the cartilage pushed back into place this week, and hope to get back into rugby soon.

My question is whether anyone knows where to get a nose guard? I'd prefer not to break it again, and I also play basketball, so this would be of assistance. I have seen some nose guards, but they are horribly unwieldy. One which could be attached to my scrum cap would be a bonus.

I have noticed Peter Cech has been wearing a nose guard recently, which seems a bit more comfortable. Would anyone know where to get such a nose guard, and if it's suitable/legal in rugby?

Many thanks,

Blazza

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

3. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

As far as I'm aware, the reason Immy didn't wear a mask like Cech is because its illegal in rugby, because its rigid. Can't give you the exact rule, will see if my Google-Fu can unearth it.

4. Blazza181

Hmmm. In that case, I could stitch on an attachment to a scrum cap, and fill it with foam.

I am a wrestler!!!1!1!

5. Everydayoddity

After a bit of research, the relevant Laws are Law 4 and Regulation 12 but the headline is pretty much what I said originally, that anything rigid or with hard/sharp edges is illegal, and anything that isn't tape/foam needs to be IRB approved (i.e. on This list )

Also, any foam/padding needs to be less than 1cm thick uncompressed. So quite how the above was allowed I don't know! You learn something new every day mind:

I've been wearing padded undershorts every game for the last 3 years! :worried:

6. Blazza181

Aw well, I play school rugby, I'm sure an attachment to a scrum cap won't cause any great raucous. As for padding for the shorts, well, I know where some people would place the padding. :naughty:

And I guess the Peter Cech face guard wouldn't last too long in a game.

7. Everydayoddity

That was going to be my next point, anywhere strapped/padded up is just highlighting where to hit them!:naughty: That said, a faceguard should be exempt from this unofficial rule, so you'll probably be ok!

8. Blazza181

That's great. IMHO I wouldn't think it could be used as a dangerous material. Now - where to find one.