1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nostradamus says : England for the World Cup!

Discussion in 'General' started by WilHarris, 29 Apr 2002.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Lifted from the BBC:

England are going to lift the World Cup this year, according to the prophecies of Nostradamus.

The 16th century soothsayer is best known for his predictions about world wars and the end of the universe.

But peer a little closer and you can find a source of great optimism for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side as they head for Korea and Japan.

Dr George Myerson has interpreted some of Nostradamus' writings and included them in his book, England: The World Cup Prophecies.

Dr Myerson admitted having his tongue slightly in his cheek, but insisted: "Nostradamus was very serious about the World Cup."

Beckham will stand out from the crowd

As far as England's group games go, the great man suggests Eriksson will feel torn between his adopted country and the nation of his birth, but will eventually lead his new team to glory against Sweden.

And here's what he actually said: "Pope of Rome, be careful about coming close to the city that two rivers shall water.

"There you have come to spit your blood. Thou and thine when the rose shall flower."

Pope of Rome, of course, translates as former Lazio boss, the two rivers represent England and Sweden and the flowering rose symbolises an English victory.

Easy when you know how.

Injury

Nigeria will also be vanquished ("the eagle soaring up among the tents, by other birds shall be chased away"), as will France in round two - after extra-time, apparently.

Nostradamus also foretold David Beckham's injury crisis, with the words: "The prince shall have one foot tied. Fearsome to his enemies, he shall make his sail rebound."

In other words, Beckham goes into the tournament in a bad way, but will rise again to score from a rebound. Well, what else could it mean?

Of the other teams, two of the favourites are written off in the passage: "The people of Spain and Italy without a leader shall die", while a reference to the child of Germany being blinded surely means curtains for Rudi Voller.

Could it be thrill Neville? Hmmm

As for the final itself, there can only be one winner. And if you still need convincing, take a look at this:

"To take arms and the Britannic name and the English title..."

Couldn't be simpler really.

Unfortunately, there is one prediction which throws the entire prophesy into doubt.

Nostradamus states: "In the year that the brothers of the lillies shall come of age, one of them shall take hold of the great Romany."

In other words, with Gary Neville definitely out, Phil will seize his chance and be a star for Sven.

That really is a bit too far-fetched.

2. Jaz

Jaz Banned

its not gonna happen. england aren't that great a team, if anyone it'll be the argies

3. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Good old Nostradamus.. not ambiguous at all ever then.

I think he predicted I was going to drop a fork down the side of my cooker the other day..

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I know virtually everything he ever predicted has so far been true, but I am not 100% sure about this one... Its nice to think he cared about us though! :D

5. ChriX

ChriX ^

Hmmm, I dont know - I think they might be in with a chance this time :eyebrow:

6. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

the funny thing about his predictions is that they are general and people make them fit to current events. In a way he predicted computer modding if you look hard enough.

7. Slink

Slink B7

Thou't shalt not turneth to ye penalties, alas ye olde Slinketh forced be it to switcheth channel on yonder:eek:

8. LooNaTiK

LooNaTiK What's a Dremel?

wut a lowwwd uv twaddle

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

not an ef-in chance - we'll fark up like usual when the time comes.. as usual :( :sigh:

10. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Oh you have got to have faith playa!!

We're gonna do it, we're gonna WIN!! :D

11. LooNaTiK

LooNaTiK What's a Dremel?

/me draws a picture
    {param}

please note, the line is not very wide.

some might say it's thin, in fact.

:)

LooN

12. ChriX

ChriX ^

but sven!!!

he will lead our doods to victory :D </optimisim>

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Care to put your money where your mouth is? :eek: :hehe: :worried:

14. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

I bet he's laughing his head off in heaven or hell or wherever the fu he is. Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt he predict the end of the world a few years back? ..... that one obviously came true !!
    Still with regard the world cup I certainly think the potential is there to do well it just depends how the boys come together. As long as sheringham doesnt go I think we'll be fine !!! ;).

15. Lag Messiah

Lag Messiah What's a Dremel?

Nostradamus is full of crap, he's so vague that everyone can make his stuff "true"...I just wanna see more soccer played in the states :)

16. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

if england win ill trust nostro hows that 4 a deal

but i dont reckon it will happen :sigh:

17. K

K 528491

Nostrodamus predicted I'd eat breakfast this morning when I got up...

He was wrong!!! I had it when I got to Coventry! I had McDonalds!!!!! Damn you Nostrodamus, you were so close!!!!

Errrr, yes, he makey good prediction :blah: