1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not dead... just annoyed!

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Tuned#F_A_F, 14 Feb 2011.

1. Tuned#F_A_F

Tuned#F_A_F What's a Dremel?

I doubt anyone's noticed but I haven't been on the server, or indeed Steam, for a while. A few weeks ago the house nearly got hit by lightning. It seemed to have fried the phone line, fried my modem, but the PC was fine...or so I thought. It can't even POST at the moment so I'm PC-less. I'm posting this on my PS3!

I was all lined up to build a new Sandy Bridge PC, but now that's on hold because of the SATA issues :(

If anyone asks where I am, please spread the word. I'm annoyed that I can't play CS or BFBC2, until then I have the Killzone Beta and Fallout NV to keep me busy :)

Back soon I hope...

Kev

2. Weazle

Weazle Jason Bourne's love child

No worries FAF, with the Sandy Bridge issue, its fine as long as you use the first 2 SATA ports only ;)

3. Tuned#F_A_F

Is it possible to use SATA2 compatible drives in the 6GB ports? I need 3 sockets for SATA2 drives (one DVDR and two HDDs) so if I can get away with that I should be fine.

Also worth pointing out that Scan have promised to accept back any P67 board. I might buy it and replace it later on! Also found out that it's about 5% of all boards that are affected.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Yes, they are backwards compatible.

5. Tuned#F_A_F

Well that's cheering :) I'm looking at a new 320gb OS drive as well, SATA3, so I may be ok anyway!

This is the first build in a decade that I'm actually a bit gutted to have to make. My 'dead' system is a 3.2ghz Wolfdale with 8800GT. It still had a lot of life in it even at 3 years old. Hopefully I'll be able to revive it one day with a new mobo. Problem is finding somewhere that still sells X38 boards :|

6. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

7. Weazle

Weazle Jason Bourne's love child

Why not go for a P45 chipset mobo? most are excellent overclockers.

8. Tuned#F_A_F

Tried today with an old 460w on a PC I built for my mother. Worked first boot, hasn't worked since. I'm seriously thinking now that it's the motherboard.

As for the P45 board, I might have a look at some point. It's a real shame as the P5E3 was the godlike board of its day. Plus getting another P5E3 means no reinstalling Vista...the HAL would be unaffected :)

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

maybe sli the 8800GT# if it still works?

10. Ahleckz

Ahleckz What's a Dremel?

Just saw this. I could keep an eye out on the OcUK members market for you if you want, things are always coming up so one should pop up...

11. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Silly question- can't you claim household insurance for that?

12. Tuned#F_A_F

I'm thinking not. It was connected to a very old surge protector. I guess they could claim that I hadn't taken adequate care to ensure that it still worked. Plus it happened about 2 weeks after the storm so proving that it was the storm that did it could be difficult.

My plan is to keep the upgraded PC (which I was going to do anyway) and buy another x38 board when I find one cheap :)