1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Not using WASD

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SuperHans123, 20 May 2019.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

I've played games ever since I can remember (50 yr old)
    From the Spectrum days onwards, I always used Q&A for up and down and O&P for left and right and the Space bar for fire.
    When the mouse came along later, I continued using Q&A for up and down and put my right hand on the mouse to move about and used my thumb on ALT & Spacebar for strafe left and right.
    I continue with this set up to this day and find it comfortable.
    I use my finger next to my pinkie for TAB and Caps Lock (Use etc) and W for Jump and S for duck/crouch.
    I find I don't need to pivot or move the base of my hand at all.
    Sometimes, I use WASD on a newly installed game until I can be bothered to reconfigure and it still baffles me why it is the 'gamers default' setup.
    Here's to no more WASD!!

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fun bit of history, here: I used to joyfully tell people that the WASD control scheme dated back to Don Priestley's Mazogs for the Sinclair ZX81, published by Bug-Byte in 1981. Then someone on this very forum corrected me: Mazogs does indeed support WASD - left-right on AD, up-down on WS - but it was a complete accident.

Mazogs came with two control schemes - 'you have the choice of two sets of keys,' the manual explains: W, A, D, and X or W, S, H, and J. You didn't have to select which you wanted; the game simply kept all seven keys active at the same time.

What happens if you take up, left, and right from the WADX layout and down from the WSHJ layout? You get WASD. Effectively, the first time WASD was used in a game it was an accidental, hidden, third control scheme for Mazogs.

The More You Know!®

goldstar0011 and SuperHans123 like this.
  3. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

<---- mouse turner - more accurate.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

You have Thresh, or Dennis Fong, to thank/blame - Widely recognised as the first professional gamer - for popularising the control scheme.

5. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

Clicking through to the Wiki page on key combos, I read down and there was this which sums up where I came from:-

QAOP keys[edit]
    Dating back to Sinclair Spectrum days. The O/P keys were used for left/right movement, and the Q/A keys were used for up/down or forward/backwards movement. With SPACE being a key in the bottom right of the original rubber keyed Spectrum the M or sometimes N key would be used for fire/action; on later models the SPACE bar would be used.

QAOP had its own variations, as ZXKM or WELP. Many BBC Micro games used the keys ZX*? respectively for left, right, up, and down (with "*" being the key above and right of "?", where "@" is on modern UK keyboards). In each case, one hand controls left/right, and the other hand controls up/down movement. A further variation is used when two players use the keyboard at the same time; for example, Gauntlet uses the combination 1QSD for Player 1, and 8IKL for Player 2.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Arrow keys anyone? :worried:

Hex and goldstar0011 like this.
  7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Well-Known Member

Wow, flashback to my Spectrum days of QA and OP!

To this day I can't get used to WASD, was always and arrow key guy as I could easily find them if my fingers moved but started to struggle when I needed more keys.

Now I'm a joypad guy escept for the likes of DoW etc

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

I remember a few Spectrum games that went for QWPL rather than QAOP. That was weird.

And I'm old enough to remember it as QAOPM rather than QAOPSpace.