1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NotFred Advice

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by DaTLiTe, 23 Sep 2009.

1. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

hi

ive just got my i920 rig up and running and ive been skimming a couple of threads about notfred and being able to churn out a lot more ppd. is it easy to set up and maintain as im keen to look into it?

2. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

It's a breeze to set up and use and does generate more ppd there is a guide HERE. At the bottom, courtesy of Saspro. :thumb:

You could get the bigadv's though if you overclock it enough! Linux required but I'll leave that guide to someone else who knows as thats not something I have delved in to yet.........

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yep as Keith says it produces a lot more points per day from one client, and with a 920 you'll get 2 SMP clients on the one machine. I don't fold on I7's personally, but if I can get 5K PPD out of an overclocked Q6600 running 2x VMware SMP clients, you should be able to get well over 7K from your CPU.

If you need any help in setting it up just ask, most of us here use Notfreds folding application now :thumb:

4. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Right I think I've set it up but I'm not sure which cores to set for each client. Windows seems to see 8cores/treads from 0-7 so which do I use for each instance? I've tried using 0&1 and 2&3 bbut in task manager it seems to only use 50% load?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You will only show 50% load as some of the cores you see are HT cores.
    In theory (& I'm sure people have done it) you can run 4 clients for 100% load.

6. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

If you are using 2 x Not freds on an i7 with Hyper Threading on as it sounds then set core 0&2 for the 1st VM and 4&6 for the second as they are the Physical cores and you should see 7000-ish PPD on a 3.6-3.8ghz overclock :)

I managed to get around 8000 ppd when I ran 4 x NotFreds on one of my i7's @ 3.8ghz but the machine becomes unusable really for anything else while its folding, if you dont mind that then go for it but running the 2 instances on the real cores still means you can use the machine ok :)

7. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Great thanks ill try that when I get home, will I need to set the cores everytime I close down the program and start it up again or will it remember?
    I'm having issues wwith my temps at the moment so don't know if ill oc right now. I'm hitting 65 on stock speeds with a noctua hsf. I've tried resitting it, different paste and different orientation but still stuck around the same temps. I'm just stuck as to what the issue is but suspect its down to the airflow in my p180 case. Might be an excuse to buy a new one.

8. Unicorn

No, it won't remember the settings for you, you need to use prifinitty to set and lock the CPU priority and affinity settings. There's a good guide for this written in my rack farm thread by phoenicis :)

9. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Will it make a difference if i set the first instance to use cores 0-3 and the other instance to use cores 4-7?

10. Unicorn

Like I've said before, I don't fold on I7's so I can't say this with certainty, but AFAIK it will make a difference if you set the instances to use 0-3 and 4-7. In that case you are still setting the instances to use HT cores. As CM said, cores 0 & 2 are the physical ones you want to be using for VM number 1 and 4 & 6 for VM number 2.

If this is a dedicated folding rig, run 4x VM's for maximum PPD, but if it's also your day to day use PC then I'd stick with CMs advice and fold on the physical cores only.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

vmware player only supports 2 cores

12. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Right thanks for the help guysn I think I've got it all running fine now, just need to do some research on locking the cores and affinity so will try that at the weekend.
    I've overclocked my chip to 3.8ghz @ 1.15v so all is running nicely now, getting about 13K ppd with 2x notfred clients and a gpu client so I'm happy.

13. coolamasta

Cool glad its up and running ok bud :D

That a very low voltage core for 3.8ghz, what QPI/Multiplier you running and have you stressed the crap out of it for a good half a day+ with LinX or IntelBurnTest?

14. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'm not 100 clear on overclocking the i920, I've set the qpi to x17 or x18 I think? You might have to correct me here.
    I've not done a burn test on it yet, not had the time, will try it over the weekend but it seems to be folding fine and I've had no issues as yet with it.

15. coolamasta

As a rough guide, on one of my 920 D0 stepping @ 3.8ghz with HT on I needed 1.25v core with a 20x multiplier and a 200 QPI.
    I did have the core at 1.20v but every few days the machine would lock up randomly while folding so since I went upto 1.25v its been folding 24/7 for a couple of months now quite happily :)

Deffo stress test it, will save you loads of problems later down the line, you could have a good chip which is ok with lower voltages but ya wont know until you give it a good kick in with LinX or something...

What mobo you running out of interest?

16. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

I think i need to give it a good stress as it does seem to good to be true. My mobo is a gigabyte ud5.

Well i have another issue, my fahmon seems to not recognise my notfred clients anymore but i have not changed anything?

17. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Check the IP address that is being assigned to your Notfred clients via your router DHCP. Normally the DHCP lease lasts for a while though.

18. coolamasta

Ah yeah, good boards those :) Do you still have Turbo turned on?

I always use the DNS name for the NotFreds instead of the IP because like Tesla effect says DHCP could assign a new address etc, anyway all NotFreds they all start with "fold-xxxx" all my clients in FahMon are set like this - \\fold-5d0e\c\etc\folding\1\

It will tell you on the Vmware player what its name is on boot up :thumb:

19. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe What's a Dremel?

Yeah im very happy with the board. Turbo is still on so im at x21 with a 180bclk.

i didnt realise that it changes ip all the time but my fah is reading a crazy number. apparently its completion is 6872023%!!!! is something wrong and can i delete the wu?

20. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Mine say that from time to time normally when I have reset them but they do give good ppd .Mine have dropped a wee bit since vmware said there was a new version so update I did and I lost a few ppd. I currently have 3 off them running and hope to have a few more in the next month or so :)

As regards to deleting it ....I normally do when I get a work unit that is not gonna finish in time never caused me any worries but I did have 2 log back in via ip address and change the settings again .