1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh dear, she's actually real (I had to know).

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nope, it's a fake profile set up by a bloke.

This seems to be the real profile for the girl (seemingly innocent) and this what looks like her (presumably ex) boyfriend's page.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

JaccoW likes this.
  4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I actually agree with her - Certainly moreso than a statement that reduces her personhood to excrement for the crime of holding a contrary opinion.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yes, seemingly one sick man thought it would be funny to turn the whole Internet on his ex-girlfriend using the widely accepted tradition and mark of respect that is Remembrance Day to do so. Sounds like another candidate for euthanasia.

Nobody in the world has the right to that opinion. More than 37 million people died in WWI. I think it's universally accepted by those members of the human race who actually have the ability to care about others that the end of one of the greatest conflicts the World has ever seen is something we should remember and mark each year, as are the brave men and women who gave their lives to serve their country in both wars.

6. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

That post wasn't aimed at the people who served during either of the world wars.
    Remembrance day has had its meaning twisted and corrupted beyond belief. It's no longer about remembering the terrible events and sacrifices of WW1/2 but now focuses more on people who serve now and in recent events. Its used by politicians to push for us to enter into more conflicts and countries, the entirely opposite thing remembrance day is meant for.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's kind of complicated. WWI was really just a Europe-wide pub brawl gone wildly out of hand. Half of the soldiers were conscripted and really didn't have much choice. The other half volunteered for a given value of volunteering, under heavy social pressure created by government propaganda. Remember: this was the First World War --people had no experience as such of a war fought with chemical weapons, machine guns, tanks and landmines. They still thought it was a noble thing to do for King and country, and that it would be a fairly short skirmish.

Once you were in, you didn't get out. Deserters were shot. The shell-shocked were shot. If you were considered not to have put up a hard enough fight (proof: you survived), you were shot.

WWI is an indictment of international politics as a war crime. All soldiers were victims.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't think remembrance only applies to conflicts past, imo it can be used as a time to honour those currently serving, but I agree completely that it shouldn't be used to glorify or justify war.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hear hear. Well said. Just to add that the world could have been a very different place were it not for those that selflessly put their lives on the line so that future generations would be protected from such an evil, twisted world. The fact that millions, not a few, not a couple of hundred, millions didn't make it back brings it into context how much this world we have today needed protecting.

It's steadily going down the pan anyway, but it could have been so much worse.

10. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Well, ex partners can be very devious when it comes to getting 'revenge' for whatever reason- I feel sorry for the girl now, she will have trouble clearing up this mess with the masses of the web baying for her blood...

As for remembrance day, I don't agree that it has been twisted at all- the event itself is still largely an act to remember those who died in wars & as a means to show support for those who are currently serving- I don't see it being used as an excuse to go to war ( like politicians need one of those, ever... ).

11. VipersGratitude

So you first advocate someone's death then claim it is, in fact, others who are bereft of compassion. Wow. Tell me about Jesus again...

On the Newtownards Road, Belfast, there is a place called the Andy Tyrie Interpretative Centre, which is essentially a monument to the UDA. I called in to see what it was all about. The spiel was they were using props such as newspaper clippings, internal rulebooks and guns such as deactivated AK-47s and ah hoc guns welded in Harland & Wolff to articulate the story of the troubles in Northern Ireland, and why they are ultimately now about education, self-improvement, and self actualization.

However they did have a plaque on the wall listing members killed in combat. Framing the plaque were ribboned letters, something to the effect of "Never Forget our Glorious Dead". This caused a two-hour argument between me and the UDA guy about the mixed message that projects to children who should be in school.

I can't help but wonder how many less future soldiers/terrorists/militants/freedom fighters there would be if the act of war, and participation in it, was taught as always shameful, and always to be engaged in with absolute reluctance...rather than the glorification of participants, and by extension the implicit glorification of the act itself.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I know, I was aiming that towards her ex-boyfriend who obviously has no respect for her and no idea what this day means to millions of people.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I know, right? Honestly, the world has a lot to answer for since the turn of the century (this one) :(

OK, that was sarcasm. I do feel that even if it was a joke, he has displayed a complete lack of respect for the people who fought and made the ultimate sacrifice to keep the world free of tyranny. They fought for something worthwhile. They may not have felt it at the time, but they were true soldiers, on a battlefield. They were not men hiding in caves and ditches, lying in wait to murder soldiers or other innocent security personnel and civilians. They are worth remembering and worth paying our respects to.

That's a whole other discussion, but my general opinion of The Troubles is that one side was as guilty as the other, in that both loyalist and republican paramilitaries were terrorists, not soldiers. For the fact that they each murdered innocent men, women and children, I make no distinction between them. They're all terrorists in my eyes.

That I certainly do agree with, but don't assume that the soldiers of the world wars had a choice in the matter. Those were the days of conscription and the days when a court martial usually ended with a firing squad. Honestly though, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I think your understanding of Remembrance Day is skewed. The act of remembrance is not about glorifying anything, certainly not war. It is about honouring the fallen soldiers who gave their lives for their country and in the case of the allies, the free world.

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

oh jesus internet, why?!

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I loled so hard at 'OH GOD THE HUMANS FIGURED OUT DOOR HANDLE OH GOD OH GOD'

16. VipersGratitude

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

It would appear that the characteristic that makes them terrorists is not unique or distinctive.
    However, your cognitive dissonance makes more sense if you consider Max Weber's essay "Politics as a Vocation", where he writes:

"...a state is a human community that (successfully) claims the monopoly of the legitimate use of physical force within a given territory. Note that 'territory' is one of the characteristics of the state. Specifically, at the present time, the right to use physical force is ascribed to other institutions or to individuals only to the extent to which the state permits it. The state is considered the sole source of the 'right' to use violence.."

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

What irks me is all the talk about 'brave heroes' as if soldiers are fundamentally braver or more heroic that the rest of us than the rest of us - a notion which is just complete fantasy. What soldiers are is a group of people trained (and to some extent brainwashed) to fight and cope in difficult situations, some do this comparatively well and some do this comparatively poorly. make no mistake, I have nothing against soldiatry as a profession or against soldiers themselves; my issue is with this idolisation which seems to exists only as a method to suppress the cognitive dissonance of the general public about sending other humans to die for their comfort.

For me, rememberance day should be about trying to remember past wars as they were so that the next time we're faced with the decision of marching our troops off to another faraway land we might do so with a clear understanding of the consequences of war, not at the behest of jingoistic propaganda or public misconceptions. This isn't a service for the long-dead victims of war (lets face it, nothing we do can help them now), this is a service for us, to try and remember what they've taught us.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  18. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

It's brilliant and I want to read more from that thread :clap:

19. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Vipers, Unicorn, Nexxo, Krikkit, Kenko, Neil, I have a good respect for your guys's opinions; and on the whole you guys tend to have rather engaging and interesting discussions about many topics.

However, I would like to request that when people wish to debate somthing brought up in this thread. That you make at least an attempt to post a somewhat funny/demotivating/entertaining image along with your text.
    That way you guys can still have your debates, and I don't constantly end up clicking on the thread expecting funny pictures, and only come to find pages of text.

It's Win/Win :p

[​IMG]

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

From what i gather it's from tumblr... this was as close as I could find to 'the original'

[​IMG]