1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Six six and I live in England, building regs are only any good when builders follow them.

re: Bikes, XXL bike frames have crappy geometry, the top tube and reach doesn't extend in proportion with the seat tube extension, so I end up hunched over the front wheel and smashing my knees against the bars on road bikes, or simply not fitting at all on MTBs.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I remember when the flat i'm was renovated... the architect wanted to *lower* all the ceilings to a smidge over the height of a standard door [6'6"/2m]... he was told to piss off and leave the ceilings where they were...

And IIRC there is no requirement for how high a ceiling needs to be in a new build... Though [again IIRC] the recommendations are similar to those in the Netherlands [2.1-2.4m]... That and given how ludicrously tiny a lot of UK new builds are, they probably ignore the recommendations anyway..

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I picked my flat as it's got oversized doors to most of the rooms :)

It's lovely being able actually walk through a door without having to duck (I'm 6'7")

4. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

I can see how that might help with energy conservation and stuff but... was that guy a damn midget or something? I would get claustrophobic in a 2.2 meter ceiling room let alone one that is 2 meters.
    My own bedroom (which is in the attic) is 3.2-3.7 meters high and that gives a really open feeling. :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Those 2,3 meters are actually the Dutch required door height. Ceilings have to be 2,6 meters. 10 cm off for renovating older buildings as they often don't have that much room.

I remember when we were looking at a house before the one we have now. It was a really cool house but the architect made a small mistake... the stairs.
    When it was being built we walked into the concrete casco and tried to walk up the stairs. It was a little cramped but alright. When we went down again however, we bumped our chest into the wall. Seriously, I could stand on the stairs and the wall would simply come to my nipples. :lol:
    We could hear drilling the next few days.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2014
  5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

THis made my day :D

[​IMG]

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

Just flicked through the current (Scottish) building regs - can't find any defined minimum story height, there defiantly was one when I was at university though I can't honestly remember exactly what it was. However, "A flight or landing on a stair or ramp should have clear headroom of at least 2.0m extending over the whole of the effective width. Height should be measured vertically from the pitch line of the flight or from the surface of the landing."

Since the (most) standard plasterboard sheet size is 1200x2400 we tend to get 2.4m ceiling heights. It always feels a bit pinched.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The guy was a ****ing idiot who wanted to make everything 'compact and bijoux'... Even though it's a housing association flat we as tenants managed to 'dissuade' him/them from implementing a large chunk of his idiocy... Though we are stuck living with the bits of idiocy they refused to listen to reason on...

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Being much smaller than average isn't much fun either.
    I don't mind, I'm about 175cm :)

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Ha! I think he deliberately moved across to fully take out the spectator in order to protect his sprinter.
    I love cycle racing. This is why the good lead out men earn the big bucks :D

10. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Definitely intentional, he stopped pedaling and braced for the collision :eek:

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

12. JaccoW

JaccoW Overspender on keyboards

YOU SHOULD HAVE BUILT AN EJECT STAGE!

Also:
    [​IMG]
    (Source, launch at 0:48 )

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

14. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

The spectator was at fault : /
    Anyway, a dead man tells no tales. Right ? :cooldude:

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Not sure if this would be classed as a demote or not but it is worth a look.

Its about a new application for a military weapon simulator that has just been hooked up to an Oculus Rift and the possibilities are quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29570609

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Very demote.
    We did it with a shotgun back in the 90's when I worked for Walden Industries / Virtuality.

http://www.arcadianvr.com/SU_3000.htm

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

That's not demote. Versions of that have existed for a long time. We've played first person shooters with varying levels of realism for nearly 40 years now. We know from research that these games have essentially zero effect in the occurrence of real world violence. Adding a gun that can make your shoulder hurt after a few hours isn't going to change that.

And like they said, there could be real benefit to PTSD treatment, although I'm not sure how the gun kick really makes a difference. It's probably PR nonsense, but worth studying.

TrackingPoint makes a rifle that essentially guarantees that even novice shooters can hit a target at a half mile. People have been highly critical of it, but we know that the technology was inevitable. Instead of getting angry at technology, think of how it could be used for good. You could program it to never be able to shoot a human target (We can detect people vs. animals you know). Program it at the hardware level to take the fingerprint and timestamp of the shooter. Technological advances for evil should be met with technological advances for good, because there's no way of stopping the advance itself.

18. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

this thread is unbelievably awesome

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah mate but it'd be even easier if you took your high heels off :)

20. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Apparently this is sexual harassment?