1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nooo, they're all hitting on her because of her intelligent mind and warm personality. :rolleyes:

Of course it's sexual harassment, duh! It's sexual, and it's harassment. Join the dots.

2. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Nope, just plain lack of proper manners, IMAO.

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Some of it was, I mean walking by her for 5 minutes was weird.

Besides that many of the comments I would love to have walking around every day with a 'hello' and 'have a good evening' from strangers rather than the glum expressions of impending doom and low level rage most people walk around with.

I think it's also a cultural thing, a Spanish friend of mine years ago said that if her and her mates went out and didn't get any comments from strangers then they'd go home and change into a different outfit. This was a highly intelligent and strong willed woman btw.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

5. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I do this. I sometimes do the "nod and smile" thing or sometimes go as far as a "hello," or "good morning," to people of all ages, genders and races. Maybe it's an Australian thing. I actually find that older people respond best.

Some of those were definitely sexual harassment and even creepy. But there were a big chunk in there that were just friendly.

6. SuicideNeil

I find random old(er) people often say good morning to me as I'm walking to work some days- usually no one else around though as saying good morning to everyone on a busy street would be a little bit odd...

[​IMG]

Can't wait...

7. Nexxo

I think it all depends on the tone and context. As a man I worry less about women calling after me than I think I would about men if I was a woman. So perhaps to really empathise with the experience, ask yourself how it would feel if a big bloke leered at you and said: "Hey baby, how ya doin''?". Not so comfortable now, right? Now imagine this happening all the time.

And yeah, culture matters. I feel safer amongst a bunch of drunks in Mediterranean countries than I do amongst drunks in the UK.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The trailer does indeed look awesome, and I've had "I've got no strings" going round and round in my head for the last week :D

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

10. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

ALLLLLL ABOARD THE HYPEWAY EXPRESS

11. Nexxo

12. Nexxo

It's that how you walk to work? :eeek:

I just go by car...

13. SuicideNeil

I have style.

:worried:

14. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

This (aforementioned video) demotivates me for a few reasons:

1: This video apparently showcases the worst of the worst over 10 hours of walking. The have a nice evening/god bless/etc in actually shockingly polite; why is it even in the video? "Damn girl"/etc - totally inappropriate. Agreed.

2: She totally ruins the experiment by being 100% passive. The guy walking beside her for supposedly 5 minutes (jump cuts don't count) could have had an inkling of what was going on and was just being a troll without realising that he was playing right into her hand.

3: Culture, culture, culture. The culture/norms/etc that you grow up in (religion, anyone?) become your normal. She walks around in what appear to be less well off neighbourhoods of New York, where catcalling may not be considered rude.

4: Uncomfortable situations are just part of life, and the very values that our society is built upon unfortunately allow them to happen. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

15. Nexxo

OK.

She behaves like most women would behave: don't make eye contact, don't get into confrontation, just walk away. Let's not get disingenuous by claiming that he supposedly walked next to her for 5 minutes, and especially not that she was looking for trouble. Let's not blame the victim, 'kay?

Culture, schmulture. Female genital mutilation, the persecution of gays, sexualisation of young girls: all 'cultural'. Doesn't make it acceptable.

How is this woman trying to have her cake and eat it? :confused:

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

'merica!

That is all.

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I find this all depressing because the more that this goes on the more closed our bubble become.

In the countryside when you see someone you say good evening (last nights mtb ride going through a village for example). If I'd done that to her I'd have been labeled a pest. How else are you supposed to meet new people? Some of those people were just trying to say hello to the pretty lady.

18. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

You can tell me I'm crazy, but I think the reason why people yelling, "damn!" is so disconcerting is that it implicitly suggests that they lack the self control to not yell something. It's threatening because you could assume that these people would also lack the self control to not do more, like assault her.

There's also a difference between a genuine compliment to a person's appearance and the sort of objectifying outbursts that these people are making. It's not hard to hear and know the difference.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If she had not been trying to make a point for the video she would have probably followed normal human behaviour and started running or hiding in a crowd from that creep after 20 seconds tops.
    Doesn't change the fact that the guy clearly has severe mental issues and needs psychiatric intervention though.

20. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder