1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Nuclear Throne Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Dec 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Looks like a Spectrum game from the early eighties

3. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Yeah but sadly these games are often superior to big budget garbage released today.

4. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Forgot it came out of early access, yea its a great game! Can't wait for Enter the Gungeon next year.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Pretty graphics are nice, but gameplay is a must.

6. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I'd recommend playing a Speccy game. You're misremembering.

To be honest, in case I didn't get it across enough in the review, the biggest part of the game is how fun it is to play. The graphics are alright and the sound's decent, but the core gameplay loop is excellent.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I don't know exactly how or when it happened but I don't seem to fit in with the 'Gamer' tag any more. It's not about the bias towards an older game or system from memory, it's about the memory of how those games made me feel at the time... the anticipation of a particular game coming out and the clamour in 'gaming' society to have and play said game. Not all games were good but on the whole I enjoyed gaming and so games must of had strong game play elements...

Now, things seem to have changed beyond recognition... the only games that get the same 'hype' are the media darlings such as Battlefront regardless of actually how good they are and the vast majority of these game's flaws are glossed over almost by default. Furthermore, the only games that seem to score well for actually being a good game are these low budget, indie games that quite frankly bore the hell out of me.

Maybe I just expect more... and quite likely too much... but as a gamer I never previously looked back and longed for how games used to make me feel... I was constantly wrapped up in the moment of the latest and greatest... not wishing games could be more like they were.

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Dishonored.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

What has that got to do with this?

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

An example of a pretty game with brilliant gameplay.

11. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

So, what's your point here? I'm just confused because your post isn't disagreeing with his at all.

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I didn't quote the original message which is here:-
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supermuchurios
    Looks like a Spectrum game from the early eighties

Pretty graphics are nice, but gameplay is a must.

My point being that you can have both i.e good graphics AND good gameplay in the same game and the example of a game with (IMO) both of these attributes is Dishonored.

13. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

Dishonored had nice lighting. The textures were awful.

14. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

No-one claimed otherwise. Given the choice though, I'll 100% take good gameplay over good graphics.

Nuclear Throne looks pretty decent, anyway. Just because it's pixelly and top down doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, graphics wise.

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I'll pass. Prefer a bit more realism in 2015 than top down blocks.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Such a weird attitude.

17. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Each their own. I find people who likes this dross weird.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Okey doke. Fairly sure you're just trolling at this point.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think this is an artificial choice though. Yet its something that seems to be discussed often. There is no magic budget slider that increases game play quality whilst reducing graphics quality and vice versa. Games development isn't a zero sum game, removing budget from graphics doesn't increase the quality of game play magically.

The core mechanics of a game are what they are, hiring more level designers won't improve the quality of game play at best it would only allow you to get your design completed quicker. Even that isn't necessarily true.

I would think that game mechanics and levels are designed by a core group of people on the development team and a much larger number of people then implement that design, be they programmers, artists, story people or what have you. Giving these core people more money isn't going to improve the game mechanics, nor is increasing their numbers.

20. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Sure, I agree. It's not a choice. But in the case of Nuclear Throne which has been described as having bad graphics (which I don't much agree with, but w/e), I'm more saying that the core mechanics are fantastic and that makes it good enough for me to play.

There's also good graphics but poor games like The Order, which was garbage but looked beautiful.

Tags: Add Tags