1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm beginning to feel like we need competition on an international level in this industry. Imagine if America or Europe made GPUs. In this impossible fantasy realm, imagine how much harder it would be for an entire industry to accidentally-on-purpose price fix everything at once and profit from it.

I spose it's our own faults for sitting back on our white collar service industry laurels while Asia was steadily becoming the sole global provider of the most high-demand products in the world.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If they were made in eiher of those places they'd be around 2-3 times more expensive though...

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well, both Nvidia and AMD are American companies. Global Foundries, formerly AMD's fabs, is also American with fabs all around the world. But they were struggling as a semiconductor foundry provider and with technology already lagging behind TSMC and Samsung on the rise, they stopped development of their own 7nm process in the hope of a licensing deal later down the road. ARM is/was British, but as with most things it's far cheaper to have things built in the east.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They're also both fabless.
    Technically yes, but also no: GloFo is owned by ATIC, the technology investment arm of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
    Arm's the odd duck out in this list: it literally doesn't make anything anywhere. Not a damn thing. It's a pure-play IP house, licensing its technologies to third parties to build.

The_Crapman and Bloody_Pete like this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well yes I know NV, AMD and ARM don't physically make anything, not even bikes :hehe:, but are massive companies hugely involved in the pricing, well, Nvidia AMD are especially in our corner of the market. I included arm as another non far east tech company I could pluck out the mush in my head at the time. Didn't know glofo had middle Eastern money now, but who doesn't these days? lol

Didn't mention intel weirdly who the only one of the big 3 to have their own fabs and we all know what their recent pricing history is like. They will all charge what the consumer is willing to pay and Turing showed we're willing to pay a heck of a lot of money.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not 'now,' literally since day one: it was ATIC that gave AMD cash to spin it out, buying a majority stake - originally calling it The Foundry Company before rebranding to GlobalFoundries.

Mubadala Development Company, ATIC's parent, already had an eight percent stake in AMD itself at the time and increased it by a further 19.3 percent as part of the deal. By 2012, AMD had sold off its entire share of GloFo. Currently, Mubadala owns 19.7 percent of AMD - down from its highest point - and as far as we know all of GloFo, bar employee stock options and the like, with plans to take the company public in 2022.

adidan, Yaka and The_Crapman like this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just saw this on StockInformer:
    'Today 09:28
    Price increase from £599.99 to £649.99
    Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 - £649.99'

Its a Gigabyte card on Novatech...

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Best hope my GTX1080 keeps going for a while :rollingeyes:

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ditto!

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Wow that's 180 more than I paid for a 3070

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup prices are nuts and still little stock, seems the mighty 1080Ti is going to keep me going a bit longer.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I think Trump's tariffs on Chinese-made electronics have kicked in.
    European redditors on /r/nvidia are reporting price rises across the board.

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think that's been a big factor.

14. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Sorry for me being dumb, why would that increase the price in the EU?

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Because the manufacturers can make MORE profit by appying the tariffs to all markets, not just the ones they actually apply to.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Because most stuff (component parts, resistors caps etc etc) is made in China cheaply and shipped everywhere, the tariffs for component parts will never be absorbed by the producers just the consumers.

Ultimately production for components will shift elsewhere but manufacturers will probably maintain prices to cover shortages and multiple sources, the tariffs wouls only be a small portion of the price increase, most increase is because the cards were priced competitively to compete in the event that there was a normal market to trade in and they would have trouble shifting units if priced out of an acceptable window.

Demand and availability due to the fact that at any moment a factory, or some part of the supply chain could close has allowed manufacturers to go, hold on a minute, pandemic blah, blah, blah, lets up it, still got bills to pay, we can't sell as many as we could normally as we can't get hold of stuff and if we had it and could sell it there isn't 100% certainty we could easy ship to sell it.

Anything we could get into peoples hands they are going to buy what ever :D

Last edited: 8 Jan 2021
  17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Nvidia, AMD, Intel etc determine MSRP in USD and then convert from that into local currency, so if the USD price goes up it goes up everywhere, even in China.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just a heads up, CCL currently has a couple Gigabyte 3070 cards in stock.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

And the reference 3090 is available on the Nvidia store.

I won't be buying that either

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There was a 3080 FE drop just after 1pm too. Cloudflare captchas prevented purchase.