1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia 680i boards don't support Penryn?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Nov 2007.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i still have the AR board, mailed them about replacing it when the ps2 keyboard problem cropped up. they acknowledged the problem and and they said to contact someone in germany as i live in the uk, i was told by the tech there to use a usb mouse instead. i mailed back evga us and got no response, emailed again and was told to call a number here in hte uk, got an answerphone, emailed them back and have never heard a word since. still to this day ive not heard anything and i've kinda given up. im calling ocuk in a bit to cancel my 9650

god i feel sick :/

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Its all nVidia's fault. If they had given a licence for the SLI then we would see a lot more SLI motherboards out there. In the end its the consumer who pays the price for this. :(

Do not forget that 680i chipset is from 2006. The last released motherboard with the 680i is from march this year. Thats ages ago compared to the thousants of intel/amd chipset mobos that are comming out almost every month and non of them are SLI.

This means you cant combine the best performing cpu's with the best performing GPU's.

It is a shame really.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

actually they ar eboth to blame, nvidia for not selling they're multi gpu technology to intel and intel for changing some of the code in the cpu between the ES and retails chips.

apparantly the issue with be fixed in the 780i but i dont want to pay for a new board whilst this one is still in warrenty :/

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

They are?

They're replacing my faulty AR board (fried memory controller) and replacing it with a new A1 board for free and they processed the RMA in less than 2 days after receiving my faulty board, so they don't seem too bad to me.

On top of that, for months now they've been replacing functional AR boards with A1 revisions for free for anyone who emails them and says: "I'm upgrading to a quad-core and I have an AR".

And you just bought a 9650? The rumours of incompatibility have been going around for months now.
    Sure, they intimated a long time ago that the 680i would support the 45nm CPUs, but I don't have much pity for people who wouldn't double-check compatibility before splashing out on the new CPU, given the large gap between the release of the 680i and the release of 45nm chips.
    A few months is a long time in the tech industry and a lot of things can change in that amount of time, compatibility included.

I'm not defending nVidia nor Intel here, I'd love if my 680i supported 45nm CPUs so I'd have an upgrade option down the line and I feel as cheated as anyone else, but I didn't go spending my money on a 45nm chip without checking compatibility first.

This is enthusiast-grade hardware we're talking about, not iPods and Toasters - If you intend to use gear like this then you need to get informed and stay on top of the situation before spending huge sums of money on it.

Contact the RMA department of EVGA germany ( www.evga.de ) and tell them you have a faulty AR board and that you're trying to use it with a quad-core CPU.
    They'll RMA the board for a brand new A1-revision board free of charge, no questions asked. You'll only have to pay for shipping to EVGA, they'll pay the return shipping.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2007
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well it doesn't work in our "made by nvidia" 680i sli board with P30 BIOS (not P31 though I hasten to add). Neither EVGA 680i LT or Inno3D 680i SLI state "45nm" support on them, but the ones we have were both made quite a while ago.

We just tested the QX9650 in the Striker - ours is an ES chipset but the core power regulation stuff is identical to a retail board. It boots, however it doesn't recognise the multiplier and defaults it to 6x all the time. Great for overclocking, I suppose, but it constantly complains it needs a new BIOS - of which the last one was out in August, far before any 45nm release.

That and Asus still states "LGA775 Intel® 45nm Processor Ready
    This motherboard supports the latest Intel 45nm CPU which introduces new micro-architecture features for greater performance at a given frequency, up to 50% larger L2 caches, and expanded power management capabilities for new levels of energy efficiency."
    on its website.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've no first-hand experience on the matter, but from what I've read on EVGA forums the P31 BIOS won't help anyway.
    Most of the hardcore overclockers there claim that P30 is more stable, too.

Somebody will have a field day with that one, ASUS might want to revise that claim soon..

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ive only been trying to get an A1 off them for the past ****ing 6 months! i knew the 680i had problems but not that bad. as for comparing me to an ipod user, calling my mother a whore would be less insulting. allow me to retort with a simplistic "die in a hole" instead.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Chill out, there's no need to get abusive like that.

Sending EVGA another email simply requesting an RMA for an AR board would be much more productive than bitching on this forum about what is undeniably an unfortunate situation that a lot of us are in, but which you made worse for yourself by not getting informed before splashing out on an expensive new CPU.

I'm leaving it at that, I have no desire to get into a protracted argument over it and I'd rather not see this thread ruined or locked.
    If you really feel the need to respond, then PM me about it but don't get abusive.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Take it easy, Tigers.

Claws away.

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tiger Cheezcake

Sorry for spam, someone else bring this back on-topic please. :p

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

sorry my bad, the cpu wasnt delivered so i just cancelled it, I did investigate it and was under the same understanding that a bios update was needed, after all the ES chips were running on 680's but ah **** it, ive mailed evga again but i dont think they're going to respond

12. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

Does anyone know the answer to this cheapskate question? :D

13. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

wow im so glad I never bought a 680i chipset now :) !

thats a liger isn't it in the second pic ! ^^

14. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Damn... I don't feel like getting rid of my board though cos I'm too lazy. Guess I'll just suck it up and pay for a new compatible one next time I upgrade. I'm not happy about it, but argh what can you do >.<;;

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I wouldn't be too optimistic imho.
    Sam

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hm. That makes my holiday season upgrade a little tougher than it was going to be... :(

17. mutznutz

Ahh well ... not like I spent a lot on my board like others so thats a plus for me I suppose

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I will find out later.

19. mutznutz

You're a gentleman :clap:

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

that sucks

Tags: Add Tags