1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia CEO 'not pleased' with Android tablet sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 16 May 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

definately a pricing and software issue.

i was looking for Tegra2 tablets just a moment ago, wondering whether i can pick one up cheaper in LA next week.

380 USD for a Dell streak 7 with Tegra 2 but Andriod 2.2, 3.0 update TBA.
    or
    600 USD for a Xoom with Android 3.0

how about a 400 USD wifi-only one with latest Android? why is the latest Android tablet so hard to come by? must Google make a Nexus tablet?

(on an android related note, only android phone i would buy is a Google nexus phone, for its consistent updates)

3. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

The main problem was Google holding back the tablets' releases until they were happy with the Honeycomb OS.

Tegra 2 was actually ready and on the market before Christmas on the Advent Vega.

The high-end tablets have only been on the market for a matter of weeks, so its still a little early to judge on how they are performing. Don't forget that the first android phone (the G1) also wasn't a big sales success.

I personally am waiting for the next generation of Android tablets with the new Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS and quad-core Tegra 3!

Last edited: 16 May 2011
  4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I'll chuck it out there that it's also a third-party issue. I.e. companies with the sales rep's on the floor who suggest the iPad because it's just easier for them and gets more commission.

Apple's Marketting Machine is... well a T-Rex while everything is already extinct in my eyes. They're the only company who can sell the same machine I have for £1000 more because it has an Apple logo! AND PEOPLE BUY IT! - which is the main issue for Anti-Apple-Activists... AAA anyone? :p

People need to know more about these tablets... marketting is heavily needed otherwise people walk in and go "iPad2" and anything anyone says is heresy and they don't understand.

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Android tablets are currently seen as iPad wannabes without the app support - and the price of a Xoom is roughly the same price as a similarly specced iPad 2. Apart from us geeky types who know the benefits of Android vs Apple, most people will go for an iPad, because that's what they know.

6. praxis22

praxis22 Geek

I like Android, I run a Galaxy S, most of my colleagues run Android too. That said I think for the average man on the street, the iPad is probably a better device. I'm looking at the new ASUS 10" with interest at present, the one Google gave away at the recent IO conference. However, I think the price issue is key, as the only thing that distinguishes the IOS & Android at present, is "openness" and the ability to tweak, which is something lost on most people. If you want them to have mass market appeal, they need to cost < £250

7. runbmp

runbmp What's a Dremel?

I'm not a fan of either one. Very much liked the premise of just having windows 7 on a tablet. Tried it and fell in love with it. Price is just a little too steep right now.

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Tbh, given the going prices, I'd rather have a Fusion netbook with Windows and a keyboard than a tablet.

I've still not worked out how you're supposed to use a tablet comfortably while sitting - plop it on the desk and you have to hunch over, tilt it up with one arm and your arm gets tired easily. The only place it's comfortable to use is slouched on a sofa where you can balance it on the armrest.

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Could of course just be, Apple fanboys buying every single Apple product and every version of it weather they need to or not, where as "other" tablet users are being a bit more selective.

10. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

create some tegra 2 vids with some great games as a showcase and ADVERTISE, fools. Apple spends millions advertising the ipad, so nvidia and its partners need to advertise together, and brand the tegra 2 as the best "gaming" tablet, only then will uneducated peeps take notice.

11. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

I've been told Android 3.0 on a Tegra 2 is still not as snappy as iOS on the iPad. Haven't had hands-on, yet. Really wanted an Asus Transformer, despite the horrific adverts that have created a gaping hole of desolation in my brain.

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

There's an interesting lesson in the marketing and advertising world regarding the "me too" phenomenon. Up to a certain point it doesn't really matter if your widget did something before the competition, does it cheaper, or even does it somewhat better. It also doesn't matter much if the feature isn't all that important. If the competition is the first to really advertise a certain feature or gadget, you have to leverage some other aspect of your gadget. It's not enough to simply state, "Well, we have one, too! And ours has the CJT300XQ.54 chip!"

Consumers don't care. All they know is that this other company already has a nifty tablet that looks good, and can do all sorts of things. Again, they really do not care that the processor runs at X speed or that it can perform Y floating point operations per second. All they care is that it can play Angry Birds and do Face Time. And if the competition is the first to market that feature, it's not enough to stand up and say, "Oh, well we can do that, too!"

13. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

well said, aim tegra 2 at the gamer market and pump a few million into advertising and there we go, brand awareness, no one i know in rl would even know who nvidia were let alone tegra 2

14. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

yeah - it's a little bit of a strange one with the new chromebook also being launched...not sure how that competes with the tablet market, since it's predominantly cloud based operating, but still, it adds to the fragmentation of the market that might have otherwise gone for a Google tablet...

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I had the choice of various tablets the other day... almost bought an I pad, but I've used the iOS and I just find it too simple to do things, I like totinkernwith stuff.

So I bought an Acer A500, typing this reply from it now, I love it!

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Android will win out eventually simply due to market forces.

iOS initially got to where it is simply because there was no competition. When other mobile OS's started to compete it was difficult to dig apple out of their trench because of an economic feedback loop - Since iOS was the most pervasive, developers targeted iOS, and ignored the others, because there was a higher ROI.

However Android is now gaining traction - Apples market share increased by 0.1% from 2010-11, whereas android's increased by 7.7% and android now has a higher market share of the smartphone market of 31.2% versus Apple's 24.7% (comscore).

Android also targets multiple devices, and more importantly, price brackets. Considering Moore's Law in a few years most phones will be smartphones, and likely running an iteration of android. Apple on the other hand has 3 high-end products that they incrementally update.

The ubiquity of android will make it the more economically viable platform, reverse that feedback loop I mentioned, and relegate Apple back to where they belong - Producing high price-of-entry niche fashion products.

Android's fight against iOS's dominance may seem premature, but as AMD's CTO Eric Demers once said "The best way to lose a fight is to not show up."

17. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

The other OS's are really starting to catch up and even look slightly more appealing than iOS. But I wonder how the field will look at iOS5 launch. If Apple continue along the bland-icon-pages route (which has suited me fine until now) then I might even be tempted away from iPad. I want that desktop feeling with updated news items, instant messengers, FB updates, emails etc. I want the wireless syncing we've been promised and better integration with AppleTV and other Apple products. I am unlikely to be tempted away ... but we'll see ... never say never.

Long term I think we'll see a fraction of the manufacturers that we see now, and they will all be on a more even footing to Apples line-up.

18. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's the companies producing the tablets fault. They are going up against established competition with something that has brand new and often inferior hardware (not so much tegra as screens) an immature os, and much lower brand awareness. They should have accepted it wasn't as good as the iPad (in the eyes of average consumers) but instead they priced it higher then apple!

The exception being asus who (a) put an IPS screen on it, (b) made it cheap, and (c) gave it a unique selling point with the bolt on keyboard/battery. They could probably sell 5 or 10 times what they can produce right now.

19. trig

trig god's little mistake

this

went to best buy to look at a camcorder...very knowledgable about them...ask about tablets...she immediately says ipad2...i ask her why, she says androids are new and there's not alot known about them(ie she hasn't been trained on them..it is bestbuy afterall), ipad has been around for awhile and has tons of apps...

20. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

My GF is about to get an Optimus 2X :)

Tags: Add Tags