1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia Drivers causing lock ups

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mithyx, 14 Jan 2009.

1. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

I recently got the MSI Nvidia GTX 280 OC and it works great when I use the drivers that came with the video card. I upgraded to the latest drivers (181.20), and every 5 seconds the computer locks up for a couple of seconds. I tried the latest beta drivers (185.20) from guru3d and it doesn't lock up quite as often, but the computer crashes a couple of times a day.

It appears to me that any drivers that include physX are what's causing the problem.

:wallbash:

I'm beginning to wonder if going back to nvidia was such a good idea. My last card was the Radeon 4850 and it worked just fine.

Intel C2D 3.0 GHz
    4 GB RAM @ 1066
    MSI NGTX280 OC
    650W Antec PS
    Windows Vista 64-bit

And I'm making sure to use the vista 64 bit drivers before anyone asks ;)

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas

Last edited: 14 Jan 2009
  2. KillerLettuce

KillerLettuce custom title

does it have enough power; how many amps can the +12v rail on you PS produce?

3. Mithyx

Could it be a power issue if it works perfectly with the old drivers?

I'm going to check when I get home in ~12 hours and see what it's putting out.

4. Mithyx

I can find what it's supposed to put out, but I don't have the equipment to find out what it's actually putting out unfortunately.

5. Mithyx

Ok... it's a driver issue. I upgraded to the 181.22 beta drivers and it works perfect.

Only issue now is that it's running at 105 degrees C at full load

A quick check in the MSI forums said that that's normal but holy crap. I can't imagine this card lasting very long with Folding@Home running at those kind of temperatures.