1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia drivers do not display full colour range oO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 16 Dec 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_hdmi_inaccurate_rgb_colour_and_fix/1

as an HDMI user - this actually affects me!

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is REALLY old. My GeForce GTX 260 has this "problem".
    The Nvidia GPU assumes that if you are using HDMI, it is because you are using it with a TV, and not a monitor. You'll use instead DVI which is a superior connector in every way.

I find it funny that after all these years, now it's news.
    Anyway, it is just an option in the Nvidia Control Panel. Just change it.

Who knows, maybe next week, people will finally discover an ACTUAL bug on the Nvidia GPU series, where with DisplayPort 1.2 specifically, with SOME monitors, it sees it as if you are using a TV, and limits the colors. (Although you can fix that from the Nvidia Control Panel once again).

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

cute

4k screens don't come with DVI .... so it affects me, and unless you use this hotfix then there is NO option in the control panel *do you ever read links, like ever??*

its a real bug and yet again another one that Nv haven't fixed for years.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Cute
    HDMI can't do 60Hz at 4K

Use DisplayPort.

Here is the fix:
    [​IMG]

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

hmmm..... I didnt know this either!

6. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Went looking at the link, saw all 4 colours thought "WTF....".
    Checked the NCP settings, they wern't. thought "EH...?"

Checked my connection, it's DVI :blush:

Do need to check it on my HTPC though :)

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yeah, I started reading this and thought: remember the extra settings on the PS3 when it first came out? That was 2006 and we knew then that the defaults for devices was to not assume that you had full RGB.

I could be conflating two things at once though. Plus, it's a computer, don't use the convenient HDMI connection, use the frustrating twisty screw thingy with the **** load of pins. That's what computing is all about! :thumb:

8. Fares

Fares What's a Dremel?

Well , I've read somewhere recently that GoodBytes's solution works only on videos, for games and stuff rather not.

Anyway I used a simple tool I found on the internet to fix this problem and worked well. The only problem is that you will have to use it every time you install a new driver.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/#!prettyPhoto

You will find there a link to that tool as well as others solutions to the problem .

P.S. This problem is new for everyone who has just upgraded from a vga monitor . And gush... there are a lot of people who still use vga .

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
  9. Deders

Deders Modder

Yep this just affects video, if you can see a difference in vlc or mediaplayer when using this control (and the controls aren't buggy like in the latest Beta Drivers) then the driver is already running at 0-255. The video page usually defaults to the narrower band because most media content is actually created that way, but the effect on monitors is that blacks look washed.

The 'bug' also affects displayport, it only affects 1080p @60hz which is why I've never experienced it myself never having a 1080p monitor.

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i dont know why nvidia have limted rgb by default, coming from amd i noticed the poor colours straight away but when i changed the settings to full rgb there was a massive improvment in games