1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Nov 2005.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

But how can you play FEAR after you've just sold off your arm and leg to pay for the two cards? I guess you just adapt to one-handed playing.

-monkey

2. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Be back...heading to the Bank to take out a Loan....bye bye 6800Ultra...hello 7800Ultra (you know, I know it, we all know it...this IS the 7800Ultra)

3. nemesis80

nemesis80 New Member

Wow great performance and good price, A wonderfull card, hope to see a better respond from Ati, that should be interesting

4. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Two things:

1. How much? :jawdrop: Two of these for SLi will be nigh on £1000. I spent that much on my first PC!

2. How big are heatsinks gonna get before we need additional bracketry to hold the cards up? This is getting a bit ridiculous now :duh:

[columbo]
    Just one more thing.

I want one :waah:
    [/columbo]

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I agree... fantastic card, but WAY too expensive. I'd like to compare it to a XFX extreme gamers edition running at teh speeds I have mine... bearing in mind I got mine off Scan on a today only special of £389. When it drops a wee bit tho... I AM having one!!!

One question tho... what about SLI. Surely it's too large to get two next to each other?

By that time tho, there will be blocks available I would imagine... and I couldn't go back to air cooling now anyway. Strip all that crap off, and it's the same size then.

Good review, pity about the HD failure... wasn't a Maxtor was it???

Damn it;'s tempting... if I could get a water block for it now... Hmmm... I wonder if you can.

ANyone want a water-cooled XFX Extreme? He he....

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Actually, there's nothing left to add to all these 'woohoo' and 'w00t?'...
    But a few things came to my mind.

1st: nVidia must have had this thingy finished a long time ago (probably the same time they launched the 256 MB version) and just waited for ATI to release their answer to instantly show them what graphics power really means.

2nd: Would be nice to see this one @ 2 GHz ram. ;)

3rd: Extremely nice cooler! Looking good, hopefully performing well, being so un-noisy... it's somewhat the next slap in the face of ATI.

4th: :waah: Me wants...

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

omfg, that seems to be one pwnage card right there.
    next time i need upgrade, wich isnt anytime soon. that mofo is mine.

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I read a review this morning as well on Tomshardware.com and the only board they could get 2 of these in SLI and have enough room for air movement was the Asus SLI premium board, which provides pleanty of room.

Oh, and newegg has them for $749 stateside, but I expect that price will drop soon, as I heard MSRP was suppost to be about $649-$699. (US dollars of course, not sure if they are gonna screw you guys across the pond on these or not).

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

The MSRP is $649, yeah... we were told that the partners would be selling them at £430 inc in the UK, but that hasn't happened yet. Most of the partners that have announced cards are increasing the clock speeds, and thus charging more for them.

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

As much as people want to say this is the 7800 Ultra, I dont think it is. ATI still has a new architecture that will replace R520. R580 has already taped out. As such, I think they are saving marketing room for a 7800 Ultra, which I imagine would be followed by a 7900 series processor when they re-spin the die at 90nm.

11. valium

valium New Member

And here I am, stuck on the question of getting another BFG 7800 GTX OC and using SLI or selling the card and buying one of those. :wallbash:

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Wait. There'll be a better card. And, prices will be coming down in a few months. They always do.

And for those of you who say that ATI is dead? Hardly. The X1800XT still CREAMS the 256 mB GTX, and only costs $50 or so more. It's beaten by the 512 GTX, sure, but that's a cost increase of $150. Worth it? Not in my book!

13. valium

valium New Member

Given the fact that the x1800XT came out several months later, and was a paper launch, and the ever increasing questionability of crossfire and performance, I would say nvidia comes out ahead. Not to mention that the x1800 has 2x the ram of the card you're comparing it to.

ATi had their little marketing ploy with the Ln2 overclocking stunt, I would really love to see this card get put to the same test.

14. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How exactly do you work that out? They seem almost identical in most applications. Did you not read the review on here? Then you're forgetting that steaming pile of poo called Crossfire.... which is... er.. ahem... rubbish. 60Hz anyone? :hehe:

15. acidfire

acidfire New Member

I love my 7800 gtx's in sli, got them slightly overclocked at 510/1320 and she runs beautiful. Next thing I'd love to get is some watercooling going and crank that up higher. I almost wish I had waited for the 512mb versions since i'd have the cash :( oh well, after the next couple of contracts, I see a couple of dell lcds and a pair of 512's coming my way.

As for Ati, well there's not much to be said is there? Part of me wants them to keep going, being canadian, however, they need a harsh slap for these paper launches.

Oh wait, Nvidia covered that with the 7800gtx 512mb....

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

theyre hitting 800/2000 and faster under LN2 over at XS ;)
    Seems that these dont have the cold bug :D

tbh, I forsee a 32 pipe monster "Ultra" at some point, the 7800 core just seems to keep giving and giving :jawdrop:

17. valium

valium New Member

Too bad nvidia's latest drivers are still plagued with the bug that keeps locking up my gaming. Something to do with DirectX and Dual Core setups. 81.xx series is terrible

18. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Wasn't that just a problem with the old x800 series? I thought the cards based on the 520 & 580 cores were using different chips which actually allowed them to do more than 60Hz? True it will suck if it still cant get high refresh rates at high resolutions, but as I'm using an LCD which is 1280*1024 native, it's not an issue for me.

Also, tbh we havnt seen the results of any crossfired x1800 so i think its a bit unjustified to go slagging it off before any results are in.

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

afaik the x1800 master cards arent going to be availible until halfway through dec at the earliest :rolleyes:

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

ATI are far from dead, they're just a little behind because of the R520 delay. The 430/1200 GTX gets beaten pretty hard by the X1800XT, but then it costs nearly £80 less. You can pick up a BFGTech GTX OC for ~£350 (460/1300 - £40 cheaper) and a Gainward for £360 (470/1300) - still £30 cheaper than the XT, which you cannot buy today in the UK.

The XFX (490/1300) keeps on a par with it in pretty much every test for £10 more. Don't get me wrong, I really like the X1800XT - it's a great card. The problem is, you cannot buy it at the click of your fingers whereas you can buy the other cards I've mentioned without too much of a problem.

Tags: Add Tags