1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 boards on sale now

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 May 2016.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Ummm, first half is right, second isn't.

Your older process makes bigger dies, so you get less out of a wafer. Correct.
    This older process has been manufactured for a while though, and the transistor node is older too. You have learned how to produce this more efficiently since it was new. Your yields are therefore higher. A high percentage of theses (large) dies work, and a high percentage of these working dies are fast.

The new process is "risk production", you have a die shrink and/or (usually or) :D a node update.
    You get more dies on the wafer, but a low percentage of these work, and a low percentage of these working dies are fast.

All in all, you may well get less working, fast dies per wafer out of the new process...initially at least.

And of course, the latest and greatest always costs a premium :D

Oh, and don't overestimate wafer costs :rolleyes:

2. Badelhas

Badelhas What's a Dremel?

I totally agree with the people saying that Nvidia is charging too much for their Gpu's. If AMD was a proper competitor we wouldn't have consumer Gpu's costing some outrageous 1000 dollars

3. Crunchy

Crunchy What's a Dremel?

Mostly i'm glad for the 1000 series because it will bring down the cost of a 970 or 380.
    I game at 1080, ubercards are not necessary for me.