1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 1,280MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 28 Mar 2010.

1. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Oh well...looks like I am buying that exhaust for me gixxer thou instead...shame was expecting these cards to be belters.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That wouldn't be a fair comparison, they were made to fight the HD5xxx and they failed pretty badly, saying that they're in their own league would be a blatant denial of how bad they are.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    That would be interesting.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just turn up the fan on 5870, it's much nosier and more intrusive than GTX480's fan sound. but its cooling capacity with fan at anything over 50% is amazing.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

:dremel:

That is if someone could get their hands on one..

6. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Could it be that for such a radical design shift, the game developers would need to optimize their games for Fermi? I reckon the gpgpu testing will provide for more evidence for or against this theory. and if it is true then I see the TWIMTBP team working very hard to coax and support devs to optimise for Fermi.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Why should game developers have more work to satisfy nVidias designs?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

fan on 5850 and 5870 are both loud when pushed to 50% or higher no real douts there.

problem is digi some people are willing to spend XXX pounds on that water cooling setup for duel 480s and alot of people would like to know if it beats a 5970 ( its compition) in this area. Granted thats not your avr consumer but i know plenty of people with 2* 4890 + water cooling loop and that setup will beat any card that nvidia or ati have released excluding the the 5970

depends how much you love games. and in some respects love folding.

9. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Not according to the videos posted over at HardOCP....

10. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I find that statement weird.
    I work part time for a record label doing audio engineering so I'm pretty familiar with audio workstations. I don't think I would ever recommend putting a 4xx card in an audio workstation for cuda support, can't say anything about video production or photoshop but I feel most of those professional guys use a workstation GPU on the quadro platform. If you look at the price to performance numbers using CUDA, you might as well use discrete graphics and buy a better audio converter or discrete option for that particular type of work. Simply put I wouldn't buy an enthusiast gaming GPU so that I could run more VSTi's. I guess for gamers it's a nice little benefit, but it's serving two very different markets

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's because even at maximum usage, 5870's fan never exceeds 45%.

anything above 30% is audible, anything above 40% for me is considered noisy, above 50% is unbearable due to a high pitched whine.

knowning nVidia, they'll have put a just-enough fan in 480, so i'd expect it to be running at around 80% on maximum load, so aftermarket cooler for voltage-tweaked overclocking will be a must.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There was hope for a real counterpart to the current ATi-GPUs, as this would've most possibly resulted in a pricedrop for the cards alltogether.

With the now available information about the 4xx from nVidia it doesn't look like we'll get a 5870 for around 300 Euro anytime soon.

The prices for the current GPUs is way too high imho, if you compare it to the 4870, which was available for around 270 Euro at release in 2008.

It doesn't even make sense atm to switch my 4870 for any new card available, as DX11 is something rarely seen in games and the full HD-resolution (1920x1080) is still no problem in most games.

So I'll keep waiting for the ATi 6xxx or nVidia 5xx then I guess.

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/03...nvidias-bryan-del-rizzo-on-the-gtx400-series/

quote the NV PR Guy : "TechREACTION.net: Did you guys have to do anything exotic with the cooling solutions in order to get them to run with stability?
    Bryan Del Rizzo: Yea, I mean, it’s a bigger chip…it’s 3 billion transistors, so you gotta be crafty in terms of how you keep things running and cooling. It’s a 4 heat pipe design on the GTX 480, the 470 is smaller so you’ve got to keep that in consideration. But....."

Even the Nvidia PR guys can't seem to count....theres just the one Heatpipe hidden below the shroud that people can't count, since its hidden.
    Tha same with the 470....

piccy : [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Mar 2010
  14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

15. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

The Hardware Canuck's review seems to suggest that the 470 was well underclocked to keep heat and power draw down, but overclocks well.

16. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

um... where Metro 2033 benchmark? seems like this review is Ati friendly, giving the list of games that are optimized for Ati cards...
    i'd like to see benchmarks with M2033, ME2, Just Cause 2

17. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Perhaps Nvidia are trying to level up the Desktop and Notebook markets... Heatsink solder melts on both now... Surely the heat output and power consumption figures are going to be a big, big issue for F@H (especially on air)... The cards would have to pull some serious ppd out of the bag to be worth considering...

I kind of had a feeling Nvidia might drop the ball (by designing for 2 disparate markets). What will be interesting will be to find out where the bottleneck is in their design. Perhaps new (unreleased) DX11 games might run OK if they were optimised for the Fermi architecture...

18. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

# Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 1.3GB (607MHz core, 1,215MHz stream processors, 3.3GHz memory) using ForceWare 197.17 BETA
    # Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (700MHz core, 1,401MHz stream processors, 3.7GHz memory) using ForceWare 197.17 BETA

Did no one notice, the tests were conducted with a BETA driver?

I think there lies the problem...

I think conducting the tests again with a signed driver, (the next latest nvidia driver) will be more conclusive...

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It wouldnt change the overprice, the consumption, the heat or the noise.

20. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

You will find drivers do contribute to the heat and the noise... If you fail to remember the reccent nvidia balls up of the 196.75 drivers, they made the fans on a lot of cards stopped working, or not working at optimum, also meant that heat is the result of the failing fans.... The price therefore is the only thing you can rule out of the equation of drivers. Again as such my post in the 480gtx, BETA drivers = non-conclusive results - even if they should have had them out at the time of release, it doesnt discount the fact that BETA testing can have many problems and bugs and are used to test, normally to the public domain... So yes it does!

Tags: Add Tags