1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 9 Nov 2010.

1. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Where are the folding figures!
    Looks my next card after the prices have leveled out.

2. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

They're just doing what all tech manufacturers do. Milking the early adopters until their udders are bone dry & raw.

But, hey, if you're not impatient/rich/dumb ("enthusiastic") enough to buy early, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

28nm.

The rumour started by some unknown blogger over on Techeye, and was propagated by that fraud at Fudzilla.
    It seems that BIOSes and samples were tardy in turning up at OEMs from AMD (2) and someone added (???) to make ("AMD can't make Cayman"), and Fuad takes the speculation from there. Whether it is true or not, I don't know and don't much care, but I can think of several reasons why BIOSes might not have been finalised two or three weeks ago, one of which has been reviewed here today.
    You won't have to wait long to see whether it is true or not.

Regarding the yields, I find it difficult to believe, if only because this isn't AMD's first dance with TSMC's 40nm process. This will have been their 3rd architecture using 40nm: 4770, 5xxx and 6xxx. It couldn't possibly be as low as Fuad is claiming.
    I also note that in my region (YMMV) although there are some brands and models of 6850/6870 are sold out, there are still plenty out there to buy. If yields were as abysmal as Fuad is claiming, there should be very few of these around.

Incidentally, the GTX580 should have been called the GTX485, seeing as it is basically the same card.
    It is still out of my league though. What on earth would I play on it at 1920x1200? I don't want 3D, nor multi-monitor gaming. I'll be looking at what happens on the prices of GTX460/58xx/68xx cards.

4. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Yes finally a fermi card I can belive and and use - I will be getting one of these :)

5. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Finally, Nvidia has produced a high end GPU (in the fermi series, and im counting 460 as a mid range) worth buying! Ill be interested in AMD's (ATI FOREVER!) response to this. However the power consumption is still incredibly high, even if it is lower than the 480.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Typo guys, I think you meant 48.

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Why is rich lumped in with impatient and dumb ?

8. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

9. Riser449

Riser449 What's a Dremel?

I always take early reviews with a pinch of salt as review sites favoured by the manufacturer tend to get the parts for review first (not saying that is definitely the case here).

And it's always a worry when the order of the benchmark results looks like somebody has torn the originals up and pulled them out of a hat. Why weren't the 580, 480, 5970 and 5870 always in a group at the top?

But anyway, the ~25-30% performance increase over 5870 in this review isn't really rocking my socks, especially considering what some people were predicting.

10. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Yet another misleading name from Nvidia. Anyone who doesn't know about PC's would think this is a whole new generation card. It isn't.
    It should be called a GTX485 or GTX490.

11. RickTheSnake

RickTheSnake What's a Dremel?

now that's what i wanted to see from nvidia. hope that ATi (i'll never call'em amd, sorry) can deliver something on the same league, and push the price as low as possible. this will be undoubtedly an interesting year for the graphics cards market, hoping that tsmc doesn't incur in more problems like those about 28nm...

12. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Holy Moly! That thing is better than I expected, and I expected huge improvement over than garbage called GTX480.

Equivalent of 400 quid is a great deal when compared to badly designed GTX480. But I will hold on for a bit. I want improved cooling with some non-reference solution... or if ATI comes with something truly remarkable in 69xx (doubt that, but everything is possible)...

My only reservation is that temperature/overheat control is not hardware based. I find thermal control extremely useful and important. Intel C-states are just awesome when CPU is OC. You get power when you need it and throttling down when you don't (i7 920 idle at 18C is just magnificent). Software is not the same thing and whole load of things can go wrong with it.

13. new_world_order

new_world_order 4.0 GHz Dremel

14. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

what do people think of this with the overclock? worth the extra?

what happens if later I try and sli a stock card? can I simply down clock?

NVIDIA Introduces the GeForce GTX 580 a successor of the former top model GTX 480 based on the successful Fermi architecture. The GeForce GTX 580 uses the GF110-chip that over 512 CUDA cores and 128 units of texture features. The core clock is 835 MHz, the shader clock 1670 MHz. Thanks to the fast GDDR5 memory, 1050 MHz (4200 MHz data rate) memory throughput achieved whopping 201.6 GB / sec. Overall, the GeForce GTX 580 so that a significant performance boost over its predecessor, and that with reduced power, both under load and in the 2D mode. Additionally, the GeForce GTX 580 features such as DirectX 11 and 32x CSAA (coverage sampling anti-aliasing) is OpenGL 4.1 Compatible and now supports multiple monitors in 3D mode (NVIDIA 3D Surround Vision). Also new is already known by the GTX 460 bit streaming of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio via HDMI.

15. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Good spots, thanks!

16. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Error on graph: Battlefield: Bad Company 22,560 x 1,600 4x AA 16xAF, DirectX 11, Maximum Detail

and the graph above it

5970 bar is knackered?

17. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Read the article?

18. new_world_order

new_world_order 4.0 GHz Dremel

My suggestion: For that amount of money, don't mess with it right away. Let someone else post their overclock results and a build log before you fry a $600 piece of hardware.

Rule #1: Only overclock what you wouldn't mind blowing up!

19. storm_temple

storm_temple What's a Dremel?

Price Wars! woohoo gonna crossfire!

Just to make it clear im no fan boy.
    I was happy that AMD managed to oust Nvidia from rebranding.. sitting on their laurels
    Now for some hybridcross SLI

20. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Ah right. Sounds like a drivers issue and will be retested when fixed?

While 'some' of the results look like a slight improvement which is never a bad thing, I just ca't get myself excited about this card. Yeah it takes the lead in 'some' scores but it's hardly the ATi killer some have been predicting. Are we expecting any more from Nvidia over the next couple of months? And ATi have yet to unveal 5990?

Interesting.

Tags: Add Tags