1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, Anands article puts them pretty much neck and neck on average, with the only tangible difference being between different games.

The bottom line? Choose which card you buy, depending on which games you play.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

GTX260 BC2 DX11 Results ?

(I love how what I just said makes no sense whatsoever to a neophyte)

3. trig

trig god's little mistake

i get that, just not used to seeing people that can afford that much on a card worrying about the extra 20% or w/e...normally, if you have that kinda dough, it's about who has the best power...

haven't had a chance to read other sites yet...better get to it...

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

I'd also like to see a note against each game tested along the lines of...

*Known to favour nVidia cards

or

*Regarded as better suited to AMD gpu architecture.

...just for complete unbiased clarity that is.

5. Kasius

Kasius Bringing the dremolition

In honesty I've been waiting for the 590 launch for a while so have had time to save, was always between these two cards and i'm still in two minds. If the Asus 590 can be sought for £570 then it's likely i'll take that route, will have a browse around for some more benches and reviews and order tomorrow where hopefully there will still be some on the shelves :D

6. Bufo802

Bufo802 New Member

Reading other reviews (such as the hexus one, which shows the 6990 quite a way ahead) even in the same game (blops) there seem to be drastically different scores in tests, though looking closer they don't seem to use 16x af, so there seems to be huge variations over which card is better depending on game/settings used.

Is this likely to do with drivers, or is it just the architecture of the two cards? Doesn't really seem possible to definitively say which is faster over all games/settings atm, hopefully it will be clearer once better drivers.

Also overclocking seems to be pretty good though with over 10% on all clocks at default voltages, with water would have thought there'd be plenty of headroom (though not sure whether it would be limited by the max power you can get into it).

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I wondered about that too, maybe bit-tech have a DX11 hack for the GTX260 that they didn't tell us about. :D

8. Pot Of Jam

Pot Of Jam New Member

So where are the benchmarks for proper resolutions like 1920x1200?

I know 1080 is very popular now but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

10. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

We've got a separate article about folding (on all GPUs) in the works which will be published separately.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Page 1, Para 6 - "The most obvious are is the card’s cooling system"

Page 8, Para 3 - "We use the default settings and a resolution if of 1,920 x 1,080"

Nice review, Harry. I'm on the fence about a 560 atm.. my 460 does very well tbh. Might wait until the 660 or whatever it's called by then.

12. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi New Member

That cooler could cause some airflow issues in my case :( I was seriously considering it as well

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, Hexus review states

"Judged by the gaming performance metric alone, and it's the first aspect many enthusiasts will zoom in on, NVIDIA's GTX 590 is simply outclassed by AMD's chief performance protagonist in many games, to the tune of 25 per cent in worst-case scenarios. We can infer that CrossFire's excellent scaling coupled with AMD's insouciance for a well-balanced solution - HD 6990 really puts foot-to-the-floor performance first - are two reasons why the big-ass Radeon is so fast."

Hmmmm, I'm just going with Anand as he does the most benchies!

14. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Not right now, its locked in the Driver, or at least thats what Guru3D said in their single card review, only to put up one with two cards a few moments later lol.

Why do reviews even bother with resolutions of below 2560 x 1600? its just too obvious that excluding Arma 2 all high end cards are pointless if you don't have one or more 30" Screens.

15. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

I would also like to comment on your ARMA II analysis. Croaking on about how awesome the nvidia card is at the game yet the 6990 smashes it at 1920 and above for average frame rate (which to me is more important as that indicates the fps the game would mainly run at). You seem too concerned about minimum frame rate, I personally don't care if every now and then the frame rate may drop, as long as it doesn't drop below the 25-30 mark I really am not going to notice much, as I said more worried about the consistency of the average frame rate.
    However you write this off as this is a positive thing for nvidia.!!!?!! Oh must be their drivers, but thats OK, only then to slam AMD drivers on BC2, declaring its safer to use Nvidia!!

16. The Monk

The Monk Member

Hmm might as well have scrapped the lower resolutions and done twice as many games. Can't see many people buying one of these or the 6990 and playing at 1680 * 1050

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Just to answer some of these questions with a scatter gun

1) why do we test using BLOPs
    Because more people read those results than any other graphs. Also, the COD franchise is one of the most popular multiplayer games on PC.

2) Why does this score higher than the 6990?
    Features; Quieter, smaller PCB
    Value; Superb performance at every level, better features, better drivers in the games we test (no bugs)

3)Why do other sites have the HD 6990 ahead of the GTX 590?
    We test with 16x AF and only at AA settings. We arrange our graphs by minimum frame rate, not average. One of the GTX 590's strengths is its excellent minimum frame rates, even if it's occasioanlly bettered on the averages.

4) Why do we test at 1,920 x 1,080?
    Again, it's a popularity contest., More people run 1080p displays.

5)Why don't you test more games?
    For this review, we've retested every card on the graphs, in all our benchmarks. That's over 720 separate tests (12 tests, repeated 3 times, 20 cards). We don't have infinite time and have to draw the line somewhere.

6)Why no FOLDING?
    Soon. We have numbers, but will be doing a separate article.

7) Why no Overclocking?
    We decided to wait until we have some overvolting software.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

18. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

"We truly thought the GTX 590 was going to make the Radeon 6990 look bad, but the fact of the matter is that NVIDIA made the 6990 look that much better. The GTX 590 is not the "World's Fastest Single Card Solution" as stated on our page 1 slides; the Radeon HD 6990 is very much retaining that title. Hail to the King, baby! " [H]ardOCP

Baz this..."Value; Superb performance at every level, better features, better drivers in the games we test (no bugs)" ...is more often put across on Bit-tech (monthly hardware reccomendations inparticular) as 'depending on what features YOU find more useful ...AND Bit-tech staff claim to find, for example Eyefinity support more useful over PyhsX, for example.

That value score is a contradiction of what Bit-tech has previously stated as of being of value.

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

WHY NO SLI COMPARISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Didn't you get the graphs the wrong way around on the Power Consumption and Thermals page? I thought they are normally low to high...

Tags: Add Tags