1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

Does anyone remember the days when top end graphic cards were sold for around the £400 mark. Over £600 for latest nvidia card. This will have to be a 'stealth' purchase as there's no way I can justify that price to the wife!

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Seems pretty tit for tat with the 6990. Games where it leads by a few frames in minimum FPS it seems to trail by a few average FPS, but both are powerful to maintain playable minimums on even the highest settings anyway. Great stuff to see, now it's just a pricing battle! :D

3. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Snips, where are you?

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Sorry I'm late dear, twas a busy day at the office. Is my tea ready?

Very much happy with this release, takes the 6990 4GB apart on most results and they are sold at Scan for £570. With my Silverstone FT02R, it wont trouble my compnents in case at all.

Another AMD product bites the dust, so a clean sweep against the 6XXX series. ;)

5. Phifty Cal

Phifty Cal New Member

You really need to compare this against SLI and X-Fire setups. Why bother including stuff like 5770s and GTS450s in your charts when what we really want to know is how this will stack up against multi-card setups. For example, 2 570's would work out cheaper than this, and maybe beat it on performance due to higher clock speeds.

Include multi-card results!

thehippoz likes this.
  6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Cummon Snips I expected you to be the first poster blowing trumpets and playing a fanfair ... you're losing your touch.

Hehe. And you are wrong though. :nono: ;)

I'm still not convinced and getting the 6990.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Not at all. You're backing the dead horse dude!

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Member

Yea, I really would have liked a comparison to possible sli setups going down to at least dual 480s. This way the value of buying this verses just adding in a second card can be compared.

9. murraynt

murraynt Well-Known Member

Gunsmith should of been playing Cyrsis warhead :rock:

Thanks for listing to us BT and putting Arma in there.:rock:
    Just have to get Black ops out now:D

10. Pot Of Jam

Pot Of Jam New Member

So you enjoy looking at a stretched out image.

And before you say that it's not true let me retort..

Draw an image on an elastic band then stretch it to fit over a larger area... That's the same as a 1080 res on a 42" monitor. It's exactly the same as a 19" monitor just stretched. I have seen pcs running on a 50" top of the range Samsung LED LCD TV's and things looked better on my 11" M11x screen.

I believe that a 1080 resolution is good on monitors under 24" anything above and it looks stretched and distorted.

But that is my opinion...

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing that, my 4870 x2 cost £350!

11. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

that guys mouth looks like it's been wrapped around something

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

anandtech sure does paint a different picture, but i wonder why they use minimum fps on one test, and not the others?

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

must be how he got the job :naughty:

14. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

From bit-tech's 6990 review:
    'The HD 6990 4GB is launching at £539.99 inc VAT, which isn't far off twice the cost of the single-GPU Radeon HD 6970 2GB, and roughly £150 more than even a GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB. For that sort of price, you’ll want to make sure you’re getting your money’s worth and unless you’re running a very high resolution display (or three), the simple answer is you won’t.'

Yet a card that costs over £40 more that performs the same, get's the thumbs up?

From bit-tech's 590 review:
    'Therefore, the GTX 590 3GB has to get our approval based on the quality of the GeForce 267.71 launch driver that we used.'

This from a driver that makes the card go BOOM:jawdrop: !!!!

Still no word in Custom PC about unlocking a 6950>70 and therefore blowing the 560 out of the water at that price point!!! PC Format has had this information in their magazine for 2 months now.

I think I'm smelling a fair bit of bias since the Custom PC editor position changed.

15. veato

veato I should be working

For those with their knickers in a twist this is just a review and therefore someone's opinion. Just like there are many other opinions on the net. Look around, take an eclectic view and make your purchasing decision based on what you want with a little help from these sites. As has already been mentioned Bit test with 16AF which some others dont so of course testing can be skewed. But no one said Bit is the gospel truth AFAIK. You still have the capability to make your own mind up!

@tommythetim Bit said this when reviewing the 560Ti "The only realistic alternative to the GTX 560 Ti 1GB is to mod a Radeon HD 6950 2GB into an HD 6970 2GB. This would normally be a warranty-voided procedure, but PowerColor has a card that does this out of the box" ..... and this.... "It’s hard not to be impressed by the GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB. It comes into what’s always been a very competitive spot in the market, and slots between the Radeon HD 6870 1GB and HD 6950 2GB on price. For the most part, it betters both across the range of games we tested with, especially when we used 4x AA" So yeah they did mention unlocking a 6950 only they obviously dont see it "blowing it out of the water".

Why does the internets go mad everytime Nvidia or AMD release the "next big thing".

16. tommythetim

tommythetim c'mon the hoops

@veato read my post again, Custom PC, not bit-tech!

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

18. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

So Bit tech declare the 590 the new 'King of Cards'

Anand, [H], Techpowerup and Tom's ...don't.

Who is right ...and why?

Bit-tech really need to answer this because "we all now prefer Cuda and PhysX" won't cut it!

19. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Oh for goodness pull your head out of the sand for fraks sake... CPC and bit have given plenty of awards to AMD graphics cards over the years.

I would point to the fact that we recommended the HD 5000-series from top to bottom for pretty much the whole of 2010 in our Monthly Buyer's Guides on bit and the Elite list in CPC, but I can't be bothered to post 12 URLs and 12 months of CPC Elite content onto the forum tonight.

I'm sure as an intelligent person you'll be able to find and read those recommendations for yourself though. Oh wait... no you didn't :duh:

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  20. Kasius

Kasius Bringing the dremolition

Issues with the stock drivers causing the card to overheat once overclocked. It's recommended people use the updated nVidia drivers :)

Tags: Add Tags