1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Feb 2014.

1. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I wish you guys had put an 8800 ultra in the comparison, I really need to convince my mother to upgrade a little bit !

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Also. No SLI, lame :(

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Something big this way comes: TSMC 20nm.

No plans for it atm - what has you interested in that model in particular? I haven't looked at much of the board partner range but from what I have seen most of them are overclocking close to or to the maximum speed you can set, with essentially zero power/noise/temperature penalty - that's what I think is most awesome about these.

We only included 480 numbers as Nvidia mentioned that performance should be on par or close and we wanted to put that to the test since we had one lying around. It's still the faster card, but efficiency has certainly come a long way!

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Mainly because ASUS is my preferred choice of manufacturer these days for motherboard, GPUs, etc... even my laptop is an ASUS these days and I recommend them often. I just wanted to know what their more basic DirectCUII cooler was like in comparison but as you mentioned, it seems that there is very little need for an advanced cooler for these models and so the cheapest partner is pretty much the same as any other.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

At the kind of power draw of the 750 and Ti, it would be nice to see some passively cooled cards for use in HTPC and the like.

6. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

No R7 265 to compare to? That is the real test. From looking at other benchmarks the 265 comes very close to the 270 so I think the 260 is going to be the better card for the money. So unless you need a card sans power connector, the 265 is the way to go.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I are confuse.

I have a GTX480, which, while old, was expensive enough when new. It still seems to run more or less everything at 60fps maxed out, but it does make a lot of heat and noise.

In what ways would this be better or worse?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

People do require cards sans power connectors though.

Anandtech has the card vs all other AMD cards and nvidia cards as well.

The real test is vs cards without power connectors as this info is more relivent to those that require such a card.

There is alot faster cards second hand than this if you have the spare power connectors.

As for its performance

Bioshock infinite 49fps for 750ti, 46.8 for 265, 36.6 for 260x ( at 1920x 1080 ultra preset)
    Metro last light - 40.9 for 265, 38.1 for 750ti, 32.2 for 260x ( at 1920x 1080 high preset)
    BF4 - 57.9 265, 48.9 750ti, 44.6 for 260x ( at 1920 x 1080 high preset)
    Crysis 3 - 40 - 265, 36 750ti, 30 260x ( 1920 x1080 high preset + FXAA)

As they say though currently the 265 is $40 + above the 750 ti at the minute due to crypto crazyness. with the 260x also been above this in price.

Till AMD cards settle back on price they are very difficult to recommend.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Well unless the heat, noise, and electric bill don't matter to you, reducing all of those is what makes the 750Ti better. Otherwise, there is no reason to switch things up. The reason you bought the GTX480 was to get good performance, and that's what you're getting. By the time it can't keep up with games, you're probably going to do the same thing, and then in another 3-4 or so years you'll encounter another GPU that outperforms it at a fraction of the cost, power consumption, and heat.

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Actually I bought the 480 because it works with Adobe apps' CUDA features, but hey, there's nothing wrong with a bit of World of Tanks on the side!

11. Dogbert666

As I said in the review we've not been issued a sample of the 265. We're a UK publication and I haven't seen it for sale in the UK yet, though that may have changed over the last day or two.

As for going from 480 to this card, it's not really an upgrade path, we just wanted to show the performance similarities given how one was a flagship model in its time.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I am very happy to see older generations included in the review. It makes things a lot more tangible for those who don't upgrade each and every year.

13. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Is this worth upgrading from a gainward gtx 460glh ???

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Looks like my 270 wasn't an entirely rash purchase then *phew*

Just one comment, since it's fairly quick and painless I wish you'd run the Unigine Valley benchmark at 1920x1080 as well.

You comment: It should therefore be repeatable for most users running half decent systems
    But the test you run isn't really repeatable for us proles without 2,560 x 1,600 displays :)

15. Dogbert666

We included them here as they seemed like relevant comparisons. I know people like to see older gen cards, but the issue this creates is a much longer testing process as well as graphs that are even bigger than they already are. We also don't always have the samples now. That said, if I find the time I'll do my best to include relevant ones in future reviews.

Looking back at the GTX 550 Ti review, the GTX 460 1GB appears to be on par with or a little better than it, and the GTX 550 Ti is included in most of the charts here. I would say, however, that AMD typically has the best cards for pure price/performance, and that the R7 265 (when it arrives) or R9 270 if you can afford it would be better bets given that you aren't limited by not having a power connector. But generally, yes, this card will get you maybe 70-90% more performance (plus remember it also overclocks VERY well) at a fraction of the power consumption and noise. Hope that helps!

The 270 is a solid 1080p card :) As for Unigine, that's a very valid point. 1080p is the most popular resolution *by far* and it is a good repeatable benchmark. As I said above, retesting adds a lot of time to the review process, but I'll try to incorporate a 1080p Unigine run soon. You also made me realise that I needed to update the article - we test at 2,560 x 1440 now rather than 2,560 x 1,600, and you'll see that in the forthcoming Titan Black review..

16. Xir

Xir Modder

In this pricerange noone own a monitor with DP anyway....
    Come to think of it, I don't know anybody that uses DP :D

17. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Well at least this time Nvidia didn't rebrand their mid range card and sell it for £450.

18. DbD

DbD Minimodder

This card is for htpc's and anyone who bought some cheap non name pc with integrated graphics and a naff power supply - instant performance with no need to install extra cooling, or new psu's or anything. For the rest of us not so exciting.

The 480 is a good comparison however as it says nvidia could theoretically make a 28nm maxwell chip the same size as a 480 with 4* the power, and something quite a bit faster then that using 20nm.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

could allways just get an HD 7850 and put an R7 265 sticker on it ;P

20. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Yea, the GTX480 seems to run everything I throw at it just fine, so I really haven't seen any reason to upgrade. Same goes for the CPU. And considering mine's under water, noise isn't an issue, whereas the heat it dumps into my office somewhat is.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2014
Tags: Add Tags