1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 25 Jun 2013.

1. teppic

teppic New Member

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Yeah seems that Metro Last Light has disappeared :(

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

So, 150 for a 7850 "OC Edition", or something else?

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Unless you don't mind gaming at lower quality settings, I'd say that you'd want to be looking at cards in the £200+ range unless you plan to upgrade again in the next 12 months.

Referring to 1080p or higher here, you'd get away with less on a lower res.

5. teppic

teppic New Member

The 7870 Tahiti LE is on offer at £165 including four new games at Aria. That's the best deal around for high quality 1080p gaming on a budget. Performance overclocked is only just short of the 7950/GTX 760.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

My only wish for these sorts of reviews is that you include a couple more lower priced cards to the comparison. You have plenty of cards that are much higher spec that blast this card away but I would rather know less about how many cards are better and more about how much better this card is against it's lower competitors. I mean a GTX780 starts at over £500 and goes up to over 3 times the cost of this card while the GTX650ti ranges from £50 to £75 cheaper... So I would like to know just how much more I am getting if I buy this, not how much better the super expensive cards are.
    You covered every single card that is better and more expensive with 6 cards just from nVidia while lower down the scale you have the GTX660ti which is the card being replaced and then just the GTX660 at a lower price point. I hope you see how unbalanced this perspective is.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

I would love a 5870 or gtx 480 to be included my self :D

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I still think older generation cards need to be included, otherwise it's not that helpful for someone looking to upgrade from a card a couple of years old.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Thats a fair point, but it's for a reason; those cheaper cards are rubbish and we'd never recommend them. GTX 650 Ti Boost is redundant because it's so close to 660, 7790 is slow and 650 Ti/650/7770/750 are £100 or less low end cards. I have the data to put them in, but chose not to. If you're in the market for a GPU, your choices should start at GTX 660/7850.

10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The problem there is where to draw the line, how far back to go? Do we include 560, 570, 580, 480, 470, 465? What about AMD's comparison 6-series? Each card takes 2+ hours to put through our benchmark suite, so add a few more cards and its instantly another day or more of testing.

I think I might add a legacy benchmark; one game that won't be patched or updated, that I can test absolutely every card in to give an idea of long-term comparability. The original Crysis would fit the bill I think.

11. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

That's an excellent idea. :thumb:

YEHBABY likes this.
  12. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

Awesome idea baz

13. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Member

I've got an old 560Ti, and this might just be a nice upgrade!

14. pdjblum

pdjblum New Member

This review was very well done. It is easy to read, very informative, and not too long. Thanks.

15. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Member

Thing is some of us have older cards, like my 560Ti. Be nice to be able to compare, if not exactly to my card to similar ones.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand the reasons for not doing it, and I wasn't expecting a whole suite.
    But it would be great for something to provide comparison to a couple of older cards :) (as someone with a 570 I keep having to try and find lots of reviews gradually going back to try and get an idea of how new cards compare)

17. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

I agree with your conclusion Baz that as a gamer we should start at the level of the GTX660, the problem is that sometimes you journalists take it for granted that everyone is as up to date and familiar with each card's performance, price and it's respective place in the hierarchy as you are. I was just saying that flooding the review with GPU cards that many of us have no possibility of ever owning takes aware from relevant information at the price levels we are looking at. You may believe we should start at the GTX660 and we may totally agree with you, but with articles like this unless we try to do our own article cross-referencing it can be a little hard to understand exactly why.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I'm in exactly the same boat as a user of "old gen" hardware - it would be great to find a review of a 6-series Nvidia card that also included 4-series performance figures. I think it's fair to say that most people don't upgrade with every generation, and if you were to test just a couple of cards from two generations past (eg the x80 and x70) it would provide a good comparative basis for those looking to upgrade.

The legacy benchmark sounds like a plan but I assume driver updates would somewhat colour the results. I'd love to see Crysis run on old hardware with the latest drivers vs. the "then" drivers.

19. John_T

John_T Member

That. Exactly that. That and what GeorgeStorm and LennyRhys said.

I think it's important to remember that people upgrade, they don't 'sidegrade' or downgrade.

What a battery of cards which cost twice as much do in comparison is all very interesting, but in truth, not hugely relevant. What it does compared to a few more powerful cards, a few similar priced cards, a few lower priced cards, and the historically equivalent priced cards from several previous generations is probably of far more use to most of us.

Personally, I'd love to see a 760 compared to a 660, a 560 - and if possible even a 460, (though maybe that is too much work). These are the kinds of cards most people will upgrade to this card from, not a 7870 or a 680...

20. John_T

John_T Member

Yes, that really is a really, really good idea! :)

Tags: Add Tags