1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 Review: feat. Asus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 22 Jan 2015.

1. EvilRusk

EvilRusk What's a Dremel?

Interesting spot. I didn't see those. I'll keep an eye out for that as I want a cheapish card for my PC in the living room. It's churning along on a 560 but it's getting old now.

I think the problem for the 960 was how affordable the 970 was. Before Christmas you could get a big name 970 for maybe £249. As I look today some of the 960s are as much as £220 or even £240!

I've noticed over the past few weeks that 970 prices were climbing back to near £300, and this is from the ridiculous high demand there has been.

I used to stick around the mid-range with cards like the 560, but the 970 pushed me up into the next bracket, which is just what nvidia wants! That 128 bit bus though...

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if the story about AMD getting out of desktop graphics (and cpu`s) is true - then £500 entry level cards from NVidia will happen!

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Thought this could have been a real killer card at its price point.

But its pretty lame really isn't it.

Shame.

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Happy with my second hand 780... No more upgrades for a while!

Ian

5. BLAMM0

BLAMM0 What's a Dremel?

I bought a used Asus GTX 770 before Christmas, glad I didn't wait for the 960 :)

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hmm, not too sure what to do myself now.

Currently running a 750GTX TI, was hoping that the 960 would be a good bet, but its looking more likely that I will have to consider a 970 instead.

/me is off to find prices on smallish 970's

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Yeah I did see them as well. Interesting theory, though I would be surprised if Nvidia did a 192-bit card with Maxwell, as so much of it seems to be about powers of two. Certainly possible though, and there's clearly a huge gap in their stack now between 960 and 970, so a 960 Ti almost has to be in the works.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ @ about £239.99 :D

9. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Assuming people will pay that much for a video card. Like nimbu, I've got a 750 Ti, but I'm perfectly content with it. Compared to the 550 Ti it replaced, I got double the performance and roughly half the power consumption. Runs everything I've tried on the highest settings without breaking a sweat.

I don't begrudge enthusiasts what they spend on hardware, but as it stands today, I've got zero interest in dropping much of anything over $200 on a video card, making this (or more likely, what replaces it the following generation) what I'd be looking at, if I don't stay in the x50 series.

Tags: Add Tags