1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 Sep 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Thanks for the review!

Ah, another launch and more image technologies! Voxel Global Illumination looks nice; unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick it looks like a replacement for ambient occlusion? It would be nice to compare the performance hit of VXGI versus AO. Dynamic Super Resolution is also welcome, though I wonder if it can do 8K to 4K - the performance hit would no doubt be too massive for actual gameplay. As for MFAA, I can't help but wonder if you're going to get a shimmering and/or ghosting effect.

The 4K results are interesting. I had expected the 980 to be ever so slightly behind the 780Ti and Titan but it's right there playing with the big dogs. Still, the inevitable price drop on the 700 series will make things fun, as will AMD's reaction.

The overclocking results are very impressive and it'll be interesting to see what the water cooling crowd manage to reach. I wonder how long it'll be before we see memory at 10,000MHz? In fact, we're starting to enter the realm of having to talk about GPU speeds in terms of GHz - exciting times.

I have to say that in my opinion anyone who bought a Titan or two at launch has done extremely well as they have probably got another year or so of it being at the top of the charts, meaning its reign of power will last three years. Personally I will be holding out for the rumoured Titan 2. The thought of Maxwell on a 780Ti sized die and a 512 bit memory controller gives me goosebumps!

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

970 is rumored to start at $320 USD.

I'm ready to do anything to grab one.

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I'm not 100 percent sure of the GTX 970 pricing in the US, but over here it's starting at £260 inc VAT

5. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Why not a single test with AA on? Not even at 1080p?

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

If that's the case its time to retire my 2 570GTX's! While they are mostly still fast enough the low memory is bothersome and I need faster single card for VR. Should be able to do the change for under £200 after selling the old cards off.

The 980 is just too dear for a single card. I'd sooner buy 2 970's (if price is real) or 2 770's

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

?

Am I missing something, are not all those benchmarks at 1080p with AA on what you'r referring to?

Anyway, I need a new laptop, I need 900m series talk! Probably just have to get an 800series as just before they're replaced :(

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Meh I will stick with my 780Ti SLI setup, knowing that these offer very little performance increase at stock or overclocked.

The speed and power usage out of these cards are impressive but still not a reason to upgrade.

Will be interesting to see the results of the GTX980Ti when released based on these results, it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

think he`s talking about crisis 3 - AA is OFF for it , but IIRC that's because of the game engine and some of the other DX11 features not working with AA on?

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ah-ha could be that.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The pricing looks about right for the performance on offer - the 780Ti's launch price was far too high.

Epic power savings, but I am a bit underwhelmed overall tbh. Lets hope the 970 is closer to the 780 than the 770.

Are wee going to see a new titan-esque launch in a month or two, after all the early adopters have coughed up for 980s?*

* closely followed by a Ti part that makes the titan crowd cry into their keyboards?

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Should be interesting to see what happens when we get the high end GM207-10, my suspicion is that even though the 980 is being billed as a high end card we are going to see further revisions of Maxwell, just like Kepler used GK104 through to GK110.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

970 is ment to be within 5-10% of this card is what other reviews have said enough they are not the most creditable sources from my pov.

The performance per watt figures are crazy, wonder what performance would of been like on 20nm.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No no and no!

Why is this barely any faster than the 780ti? Nice power efficiency saving, sure, but what a joke!

15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'd be VERY surprised if that actually materialised - going by past experience, the dollar price of these cards usually translates into the GBP price, so I think closer to £300 would be a safer bet.

And the Hexus review (published earlier this morning) puts the 970 F T W pretty much on par with the 980 in most tests, so it looks like the standard 970 is going to be a beast, but by no means cheap (no surprise there, Nvidia...).

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Going on Scan prices they start at £259

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The cheapest one in stock is a twin frozr jobbie at £282, and we've seen prices shift quickly once stock hits the shelves.

18. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

OCuk has them for £260 and they are in stock.

Also Maxwell seems built for VR with Sli in mind so I might just buy one now and a 2nd for CV1, or around when the Witcher 3 drops :D

WHERE'S THE REVIEW? ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    lol

Last edited: 19 Sep 2014
  19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

20. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The price gap between the 980 and the 970 is insane at £170.

I don't understand the point of views of those who are complaining about the performance of the 980 though. It is quite standard for new gpu to perform at or around the level of the next model up from the previous range, 680-770 for example. The 980 not only does this but goes straight to the top of the pile for seriously less cash than those higher cards cost. I am surprised by the gap nVidia is willing to have though between the 980 and the 970.

It will be interesting to see where the 960 will fit in to this and at what price point. Surely they will be sub £200 and maybe even closer to £150-£175 from their own launch.

P.S. And still no news on the release (and it's review) of the ASUS Impact VII... :(

Tags: Add Tags