1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan First Look

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 19 Feb 2013.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Atlas would be a good name.

2. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

You have to remember this chip sells for 3 times the price of the Titan in the Tesla cards so its understandable that Nvidia would put a high price on this card because they dont want to make many they just want to beat AMD.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK seriously, wtf is going on at Bit? Four hours and counting?

4. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Have any of you crazy cats pre-ordered one (or two/three) yet?

The way I look at it, if you have the money for a single card then you'd probably be better off getting a 690 - unless you're anti-SLI/X-Fire - or you're hell bent on getting a Titan. BUT if you were planning to buy a couple of 690's, then a couple of Titan's will perform much better (with the possible exception of those games where quad SLI scaling is actually decent) and is the better way to go. Of course, you're talking about nearly £2,000 but hey, we enthusiasts do crazy things sometimes :D

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I'm waiting to buy a secondhand Titan off Simon for a dramatically reduced price :D

7. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Not long is the answer - getting this done in time was a mammoth task, as we retested every card, including the multi-GPU results, on an all-new 4-way SLI and CrossFire compatible test rig.

We've also updated all the drivers to latest WHQL, improved the CPU to a 4.2GHZ 3570K, added 2,400MHZ memory and generally re-built our test rig from scratch.

Phew, I need a beer.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sounds like a EPIC day there Baz! Enjoy your beer! :D

Would loved to have seen the triple 2560x1440 test, as I'm sure with the 6GB VRAM, the Titan in 3way SLI would knock the Ares II off the top spot. :)

@ Yehbaby - Not touching it, unless I too can get one for a bargain, but by that time Maxwell would have arrived, and the Titan II would have been released...:D

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Harry, thanks for all the hard work and new benchies we get to feast our eyes on. For future reference, a quick one liner to tell us all why the delay was going on would be sweet :thumb:

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I think I'll skip this.... I'm waiting for Maxwell. There's nothing my dual 670s can't handle. I'd love to have a couple of these to show off in benchmarks, but even I wouldn't justify that as a reason to spend £1600.

Gonna be a long wait until Maxwell hits the ground. If these drop in price significantly... then maybe I will.

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I think I still have enough 2560 x 1440 panels for this.... if I have time I'll give it a go tomorrow.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

BAZ! got any 7870LE cards knocking about? would LOVE to compare them in CF to this beast :D

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Look at it this way, your GTX 670's was a good investment for them to last as long as they will. :)

Give the guy a break...:D

Sounds awesome, I really hope you can. :thumb:

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

The 7950 but not quite? We got a sample in but it had been round a few sites beforehand and had not survived :(

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Got to get hold a waterblock for one of these badboys now; hopefully EK will be able to oblige before long.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I already got a email from EK, stating waterblocks for GTX Titan.

Clicky

17. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Nice, im not an ek fan, but nice to see there on the game.

I would like to see evgas version, as i cba to fit my own block on an £800 card.

18. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

It's just too expensive - is this a limited edition GPU? If it's not then the prices may become less astonishing in 2-3months.

Shame because, It ticks all my performance requirements yet is more expensive than the already ridiculously expensive multi gpu options (granted it won't need to rely on driver support to work properly)

Lets face it 2012/13 is the season of silly GPU prices and releases - remember that architectural designation of this gpu means it's the natural successor to the GTX580, by the same designation the GTX680 is actually a replacement for the mid-range GTX560 - both of which, due to a lack of real competition in the market, I can't help feeling ripped off because of this.

We know that AMD have already announced no 9000 series GPU's in 2013, how certain are we that we will not see a GTX780 in 2013?

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice but expensive GPU. :)

Good to see a waterblock is done already too. :D

2 670s will serve me for probably 2 straight years from now, maybe longer if I can resist whatever awesomeness comes along next year. :D

20. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Was hoping for more performance from these, and whilst they do perform well the price for them just is far to high for what performance improvement you get over the likes, of a GTX 680 or 7970.

I will stick to my GTX 680 SLI setup and throw a block on them, overclock them to a nice stable speed until the 7 series comes along from Nvidia and 8 series from AMD and see how they compare.