1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Mar 2015.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, your argument is that there's no difference between the 360 at (I assume) 1080p and a PC with the GTX 980 at 1440p, but you link to a 1080p youtube video comparison between consoles and start to change your tack to 360 vs XBone. In a GTX Titan X thread?

:eyebrow:

Last edited: 18 Mar 2015
  2. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

and it would need to be located in lapland (or further north) for cooling!

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, if I could find a comparison of the 360 and the PC I'd have posted it, but the point remains. They're effectively identical, and no, the extra (ha!) 360 lines of resolution don't make much difference.

P

4. David

Oh well, if you say they're identical, it must be right. We'll take you at your word, won't bother to investigate further. Do you want to email nvidia and tell them to pack up shop, or shall I?

Oh, and by the way, the extra (ha!) 360 lines of resolution equate to a increase in pixel count of 78% over 1080p. You do know that a standard 1440p display has more horizontal pixels too, right? :p

Last edited: 18 Mar 2015
  5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Dammit, I knew I'd forget to change that first one! Thanks - will fix now.

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Also, UK pricing has now been confimed and it's even higher than I thought it would be. Titan X can be yours for the cool price of £879.99 - retailers should be taking pre-orders now, and I think stock will be arriving in a week or two at most.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This was to be expected... 12GB VRAM is just not needed, let alone in 5yrs time.
    Still, 4K monitor to buy at the end of the month, and I might grab 2 of these if they have the same shelf life as the previous Titan. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Mar 2015
  8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Quite steep, innit. It is a nice card though!

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Well definitely staying the Sli route with the 970's. It's only a game card as well

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Scan are now taking pre-orders for between £880 & £935 depending on manufacturer.
    ETA varies between none, March 24 & April 1.

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here. I've played the PC version extensively and there's a lot of video of the 360 version and they look alarmingly similar. My query was what we'll end up with when people actually start mastering games to make full use of the capabilities of something like a GTX980. This is a fairly normal situation which happens more or less continuously as things improve - the high end of today is often poorly exercised by current games. It's not exactly a novel or controversial point to make, it just means that things like the reviewed card, while great, probably aren't all that worthwhile if you just want to play current games.

I think the people who produced the game would be a better target - it looks to me to have been produced with the older generation in mind.

Not that it looks terrible, or anything - and I suspect I'm getting it at rather higher frame rates than the 360 version, which is tricky to determine on youtube.

P

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

^ All what you are talking about is more to do with it being a console game without much difference in the pc version. If you want to see a big benefit for your high end card, you need to be playing a PC game like Arma3 or something and something that benefits from high resolutions, like an MMO where the UI ends up out of the way.

That said high end cards are only for people who can afford the best and don't care about price. Otherwise it is best to wait a while and then you get something similar or better for half the price. Look at the first Titan.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

True but besides the point. I'm simply impressed by Nvidia's GPU architecture. It's incredible.

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Titan X expensive? It's all relative.
    Cat poop coffee 1 Kg Filter Grind £297.00...3Kg £891, you can keep the coffee.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That coffee can't even run crysis

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In order to assess the relative price of everything I tend to convert it into 'packets of cigarettes'. The average price of a packet of 20 cigarettes in the UK is £7,98. Hence the Titan X comes in at about 112 packs of cigarettes. That is, for the average smoker, less than four months of cigarettes.

Quit now, have an SLI Titan setup by Christmas. :)

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Neither can the Titan X, 25 FPS min in Crysis 3 at 4K...

18. David

I quit two years ago - I wonder if I can retrospectively justify it to the the missus..?

I'll see you in the emergency ward.

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

My logic was I needed 2-970's to play the new games and also if one broke I'd have a spare one lol

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

How about this one.

Sorry about it being in Spanish.

Tags: Add Tags