1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 Founders Edition Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 19 Sep 2018.

1. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Still happy with my 1080 from near 2 years ago, I don’t think it’s ever truly been pushed in all honesty due to my changing priorities

AMD or Intel need to challange Nvidia if we expect to see price drops, otherwise this will continue. It was said on another forum though that people want AMD to challange and would still buy the Nvidia card for the £50 premium

One of the AMD fans wrote that’s the exact reason AMD is always in some form of trouble. People want them competitive for price on the others products not to actually buy them

2. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Yea it's odd. One of the guys on OCUK forums found a side by side video of TAA and DLSS and the DLSS seemed to have less rust, but it still had it. It's, odd. I assumed DLSS more 'variable' as it'd be guessing on missing detail. :confused:
    I hadn't thought of that! Good point. I saw another interesting point raised, texture packs would cause issues as DLSS wouldn't be trained for it.
    This isn't new unfortunately, people have been saying and admitting this for years.

3. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I have flip flopped between both based on price/performance, no brand allegiances here. My past machines were amd cpu/nvidia gpu, intel cpu/amd gpu and now amd cpu/nvidia gpu.

I have had Nvidia cards for the most part as SLI was the fastest most reliable Mgpu setup you could run and I have always been pushing high res/high frame rate. my 290CF experience was very good last time though and when I switched to 1080Tis I felt Nvidia needs some work on its drivers and GUI, its a bit rubbish compared to AMD.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's more that both vendors have abandoned multi-GPU due to AFR not scaling well (if at all), and SFR not being practical for developers to adopt.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The introduction of DX12's and Vulkan's mGPU seems to have caused undesired consequences, with the burden shifting from manufactures to game developers the motivation for doing so has pretty much dried up, the work manufactures put into making mGPU work could result in extra cards being sold, the work developers put in has very little payback.

I know DX11 still supports the old way of doing mGPU but i get the impression development is winding-down on that.

6. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

First time in eons I skip a gen... No question at all of me buying one of these overpriced pieces of crap TBH... 2 years work and the uplift is laughable... Totally lazy and exploiting the consumer... 1st gen raytracing - fail, not enough grunt to actually deliver... DLSS to paper over cracks.. Be sensible people and leave these cards on the shelves...

7. ssj12

ssj12 Member

I really don't feel that calling these cards crap is correct. Are they pricey? Yes. But the fact is that raytracing isn't even out yet for games and does offer real legitimate benefits when it is. Performance will also improve for these cards as drivers mature. Prices will drop as the amount of 10 series decrease on the market. While it does graphic designers, game devs, and the like can take advantage of the new tech's capabilities and make it way more worth it. These cards are legitimately the epitome of early mainstream adoption for the tech. It's like what the PS3 was when it was first released. Seemingly overpriced, and no content available at launch to justify it. This release feels like its more to get the tech to start coming down in price and start getting the adoption of raytracing started rather than being a main consumer product.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's the whole problem right there.

You're paying a premium for something you can't use on the promise, rather than proof, of what they 'may' do in-game.

Yeah they're good cards but awful value. They may change the gaming landscape in the future, i'm not saying they won't, but at that price with no facts or figures, no thanks.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

That doesn't make these cards pieces of crap, and to call the uplift laughable and ray-tracing a fail also seems a bit premature. I agree that they're poor value (and there's no danger I'd ever spend a grand on a GPU because that's just ludicrous), at least as things stand right now. They might become better value as the new features get leveraged, but then again they might not if ray-tracing takes a couple of generations to deliver.

I just think that sometimes people have unrealistic expectations that technology will continue to deliver step-by-step change performance, efficiency or feature improvements when that's becoming ever more difficult. And yeah, the prices here are ridiculous, but at the same time as these improvements become ever harder to achieve, R&D costs go through the roof (but that doesn't account for the entire price rises imho as nVidia are uncontested in this space right now and are definitely milking it).

But as I say, I'm absolutely not buying one of these because the price is insane (regardless of performance - I cannot justify dropping a grand on a GPU ffs!) and I'd rather let others be early adopters of ray-tracing.

10. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Price is high but as someone who bought 2x1080Tis for that extra performance bump when I can get it which is not all the time, the price of these is workable, a ~40% bump @ 4k over a 1080Ti is tempting. RT doesn't matter at all.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2018
  11. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

While I wouldn't say that I would however say that ray-tracing also isn't worth a single penny right now due to it being premature as we have no clue yet in what year more than 0.000000001% of games will support it...

Last edited: 22 Sep 2018
  12. bawjaws

Yeah, it's unproven but that doesn't make it a failure. And like I said, I wouldn't pay money for it until it takes off - I'll let others with money to burn take the early adopter hit, just like I do for most new tech tbf :happy:

13. adidan

I tend to do this with almost all things. I try to convince myself it's because I'm wise and learned but in reality it's mainly due to me being tight :)

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. bawjaws

But tight just means "wise with money", right?

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

No in this instance it means he comes pre-equipped with WD40 :winking: :thumb: :lol:

adidan likes this.
  16. bawjaws

17. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

For the money in my mind it’s crap.. I expect much , much more for 2 years work and a significant ramp up in cost.. yes it’s shiny shiny and has some interesting new features but it stinks of Nvidia getting lazy and milking gamers.. happily avoid this.. ray tracing will be interesting in a few years, get one in a few years when the features are actually supported and the performance is quantifiable..

18. adidan

Tick and err, yup, tick. :)

Guest-56605 likes this.
  19. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Member

Sorry, not sure of place to ask...

Looking at Graphics cards in general (and 20XX in particular), which is best, FE or somethign else? I have read folks discussing blower?! No idea what it is! Can someone advise a chump?

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Blower is a style of cooler that is sealed all round and exhausts air out the back of the card rather than inside your PC case. Nvidia's FE cards had blower coolers as standard until now, and people are curious why Nvidia have changed from blower type coolers to open style coolers favoured by board partners.

Blower coolers generally perform worse and are a lot louder than "conventional" fan coolers, however they are essential if you have a small case and don't want problems with overheating. Dual or triple fan coolers are usually a lot quieter and perform better, but they often take up more space and they dump all the warm air inside your case, necessitating good airflow. That about covers it I think!

GeordieStew likes this.
Tags: Add Tags