1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GPU Memory Checker

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by uncle_fungus, 28 Apr 2009.

1. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2009/04/nvidia-gpu-memory-checker.html

2. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Ohhh looks interesting so now I will know when I have killed my gpu

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Bleh, I need an ATI one. I'm pretty sure I've baked the Radeon HD 4670 in my work machine...

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Keeps reporting an unable to allocate memory error when I try to use 256MB on an 8800GT

5. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Ive used this to find one of my 9800GT's memory has gone south.

I always manage to allocate 450mb on a 512mb card, strange you cant even allocate 256 sas.

Silly question but yer not folding on it while trying to run this are ya? :lol:

Also I do a fresh reboot before running it :)

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Fresh reboot, not folding (as I'm testing a EUE'ing card) as it used too much RAM with the other 3 clients running.

200MB seems the max on a 256MB card

7. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

It will depend on your configuration, but you'll never be able to test all the VRAM as some is always reserved for the framebuffer and other bits and pieces.

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Fair enough, running through test 800 of 2000

9. cdb

cdb No comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how many errors in memtestg80 is acceptable on a gpu? 0 or more than 0?

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

not sure i would guess none as that would have an impact on anything thats running on that GPU

11. coolamasta

Yeah you need to see no errors for the card to be in perfect order. If you see an odd few the chances are the card will still be OK just might get an EUE every now and again. If you see loads IE 50+ errors (I had 300+ odd on a 9800GT I refer to above back when this thread was made) then you have serious memory issues and the card needs to be RMA'd or binned!

12. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Not sure how suppliers will feel about RMA'ing a GPU without it artefacting? Will they use use the same Memtest or just rely on a stress test to confirm artefacts, not sure.

13. coolamasta

Normally memory errors will make the Machine lock up, the 2 x 9800GT's I had with memory errors would lock the machine while running Furtest or 3Dmark 2006. I just RMA'd mine saying games would lock up constantly and I had latest drivers installed etc I never had any bother getting replacement cards out of BFG :thumb:

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

manufactures they norm will accept it they have to really as its an intermittent fault that that test proves there is an problem, not all GPU ram artefact when they are failing

if its going to an local shop they may not accept an RMA due to them not understanding what that test is, personally i would not want to honer it my self (due to the cards running abnormal loads that push the cards to the Spec'ed limits that there not really intended to operate at) i point you to the manufacture unless you payed for the trouble of me getting an replacement as you may return it more then once if it happens quite often, in the US thats norm, in the UK/EU your rights are to take it back to the shop if you push hard enough most stuff has an 3 yr cover on them Shops only tend to cover for an year if they accept it most will point you to the manufacture (after that its with manufacture of the device) if its less then 14 the shops have to accept it