1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia has 9800 GTX+ : 55nm G92

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jun 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

so this is below the 260 and 280 right? im just back to being confused again. and has the 9800gx2 been killed now too

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

nVidia are determined to win by sheer market product saturation. They've got so many overlapping models now that it's crazy. Not that price drops and technical improvements are a bad thing, though.

4. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

well, I think that kind of blows really. Especially since I just picked up the 9800GTX last week. So what, sell it to somebody who can't read? I mean, this doesn't seem smart towards their consumers if you ask me (wait, you are).

5. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I bought my 8800GT back in January for £180, and it seemed like an awesome deal at the time - now prices are dropping every week and there's a new high end card every month with something slightly different. Bit pissed off really, Nvidia are just flooding the market with nondescript products.

Nvidia should put as much work into product naming as they do into releasing new cards.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sell it NOW, to someone who hasn't read the internet yet. I'm sorry, but you must be well pissed :lol: :blush: I know I would be.

The 9800 GX2 is end of line, as is the 9800 GTX - this 55nm product will replace it :) but it still performs less than a single GX2 mind.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It's bad luck when you buy something a week before it gets superseded, but that's the way it rolls in this industry - products never hold their value because the next big thing is always just a few months (at most) away. Ultimately, you must have thought the performance of the 9800 GTX was worth whatever you paid last week, and that isn't changed because something new is announced that happens to offer even better value. You must have known at the time that the 280 and 260 would hit within days and the current generation would drop in price, right?

Or just pack it back up, send it back and pay the restocking fee (if any), then buy yourself a 9800 GTX+ or whatever.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is severely pissing me off.... they are saturating the market with overlapping models with stupid nomenclatures and killing of good graphic cards (at the same time every pc part seller around here has entered the race to sell s*** old hardware at stupid high prices).... at the same time none of their graphic cards support DX10.1.... i hope they don't do the BS move that they did with the FX series.....

9. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

lol, people are pissed because cheaper, faster products continue to be released? How long you been into the PC industry? It has always been like this.

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

but leper, Nvidia is saturating the market at a rate that is about 4-5 times as fast as AMD and pretty much any other electronic manufactuer. Basically they are using sheer brute force and consumer stupidity to take the market. And to me it seems that the 9xxx series was just a filler for the normal big jump that is seen from graphics cards manufactuers

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Either way, ATi wins on price, looks like im gonna sell my HD3850 for a 4850.
    i only got it a few months ago....sheesh.

12. Goty

Goty Minimodder

So, let's say a 7%-10% increase in performance (I'm being optimistic here) over the old 9800GTX, Where does that put it terms of competition with the 4850, now?

13. staples

staples What's a Dremel?

I agree, Nvidia has completely saturated the market. Hopefully to their detriment.

Will be interesting to see how real world scores score pan out and how to architecture works as a whole package and not just a gamers paradise.
    Recently bought a 8800GT for £130, think I am still happy, originally I was going to upgrade teh whole system but now I can hope for 8800GT price spirals and go sli.

Still, am looking for the final benchmarks and what NVIDIA is going to do next.
    Business wise they are definitely covering their @sses, hopefully the performance margin will drop and bang for buck becomes insignificant as NVIDIA stumble for a generation (2months haha), but meh, is that really going to happen?!...

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Bloody hell, it was hard enough to pick which card to go for before now it getting downright confusing. I'm in the market for a good card with about £400 tops to spend and with so many versions of the 9800 GTX flying aound at the moment and even more just about to arrive I think I'll hang fire for now.
    The numbers for the GTX 280 look interesting but I haven't seen much on the 260 so I think I'll let the field settle down a bit before I jump in. I feel sorry for the folks that just bought themselves a 9800GTX (or even a GX2), I was nearly one of them. Plus we still don't know what ATI will bring to the table, I hope its good becuase the market is so one sided at the moment that N-Videa are now competing with themselves.

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I was going to buy a 9800gtx today. going to wait and see what happens now.
    maybe this is why some sellers had some good sales on.

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

wow for the first time since the geforce 2 i'm confused over the graphics card market.. what is the fastest card atm?

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

oh boy. glad i picked up a £190 8800GTX when they still retail for £300.

if nVidia can shrink G92 within 4month, i think gtx280 (this is the fastest card ATM) is not a good buy even if it's at £300. wait until it gets a die shrink then buy gtx280+

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

^^^ well when it gets a die shrink its rumored that it will be called the GTX 290

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

how much time did the 9xxx family of cards last? does the new nvidia cards have directX10.1?

this is the saturation game + lack of evolution, a 1.5 year old card (8800GTX) is on par with current ones... and what the hell is it with the change of name with the new graphic cards? its more confusing then ever!

20. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

dude, the only thing I'm pissed off about is that this card has ONLY been on the market for 3 months. Even given Moore's law, I should have been clear for a couple moore month's (realistically longer than that, but I can play ball at 6-8mos). better yet, none of this architecture is on nvidia's 1H08 roadmap. Good luck finding 2H08 from them either.
    Looks to me like they're flooding the market now to tighten the lines between AMD/Intel's war with integrated graphics.
    how do you make up market share? Well, you produce more products at a faster rate thus disqualifying previous releases. If these are all released one after the other like they've just done, why bother buying anything? All they'll do is piss of their existing customer base by outdating a 3 month old product. Please. At this rate, we all might as well wait for another release from them 4Q that will be 45nm. . .and just ignore the 3-4 more release that they'll do in between.

Tags: Add Tags