1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia has double ATI’s desktop GPU market share

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i'm completely not surprised. the only ones that do are probably the ATI fanboys.....

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Data like this just goes to show how uninformed the average consumer is.

5. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Cuda + Unrestricted level H264 DXVA is a clear winner for me. Cuda has great potential.

Won't consider buying an ATI card until it can do the things my Nvidia card can in terms of media playback, encoding, even adobe CS4 apps now.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Strange, most reviews i've read said ATI has a clear lead in terms of HD playback....

7. bubsterboo

Nope. Ati DXVA is strickly restricted at level 4.1 for H264. Meaning you won't be hardware decoding much other then Blu-rays and HDDVDs. Not only does Nvidia currently support unrestricted H264 DXVA, but CoreAVC has taken advantage of Cuda. Thus the popular CoreAVC H264 Decoder can decode any H264 content on your GPU.

Nvidia is way ahead for general purpose GPU computing. This will probably change when OpenCL becomes the standard though.
    This is probably not relevant to most people however. I'm a bit of a media junky and like to use my computer for other things then games.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  8. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Figures for shipping out to resellers/retailers is one thing,actual sales is another.

9. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

Clear lead in terms of HD playback for ATI or not... the numbers overwhelmingly speak in Nvidia's favour and rightly so. After the nightmare that was crossfire with 3870X2 Quadfire and 4870 crossfire I can safely say that I am massively happy to be with Nvidia.

If ATI can't even gain marketshare when they have such "great" GPUs as the enthusiast press keep shoving down our throats, then they are frankly a nothing competitor. AMD CPU's on the other hand are excellent propositions. AMD keep talking about price performance ******** but it seems consumers still prefer Nvidia cards.

Hmm I wonder why??? Better drivers, better dev support, CUDA prowess in folding and Adobe CS4, Multi GPU that works without stuttering and IQ degredation

My GTX285 SLI setup has been nothing but perfect and stutter free oh and this is on the much maligned and hated 780i motherboard which has never given me a single issue.

10. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

ATi also has the gpu in the Wii and 360, so it isn't like ATi isn't a complete non-contender.

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I seriously suspect it is due to Nvidia owners 'upgrading' from an 8800GT to a 9800GT (insert numerous other re-branded Nvidia cards here)...

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

4800 are nice and finally a contender, but in reality, as recent Bit-tech gtx275 and 4890 review indicated, nVidia cards are generally easier to live with.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hype goes a long way.. that boy has some pipes on him

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah I agree their hardware never really been the issue (well besides the chipsets).. it's just the way they do things that bothers me.. and they tend to say things that aren't exactly true- why I'm happy intel is in the game later this year

15. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

And you would say that Intel or Nvidia is any better, there is really no major diffrence, Intel claiming that a core i7 increase gaming by 80% and Nvidia rebranding old hardware. in terms of how the companies do things there are no angels, just a**wholes.

16. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

I just buy whatever is best bang for buck at the time. when i built my pc the HD4850 was the best card in my price range3 so i bought it, and im really happy with it :D

17. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

If you want to say pirated content, GROW THE BALLS AND SAY IT!
    But that wouldn't make it right, would it !?

Anyway, your point... is pointless!

Consider that most people that make personal HD content have in mind archiving and assured playback... good for you that you can play unrestricted HD content... but if you want it for a standalone player, let's say granny's BluRay player, you'll have to take that into consideration.

Standards are in place for a reason! Just live with it and stop demanding more than you should.

However, if what you have is for your own pleasure and is limited to your own hardware, then it's alright... but it still wouldn't be a valid point as it only concerns you and not the general public.

In contrast as to what and who has greater market share... keep in mind that the GPU market is nv's bread and butter and they need it badly in order to survive. AMD and Intel can easily kick them in the nuts as to what chipsets concern and seen how Intel is the biggest player of them all, all that CUDA and PhysX crap can be easily turned around to OpenCL and Havok by using just it's influence... which nv can't match. Not now, not ever!

Not to sound as a fb... but nv disappointed me in the past... now I'm just on an alternative research path... and hoping AMD doesn't disappoint... hopefully!

That's the spirit!

18. bubsterboo

I Have an HTPC with a Blu-ray/HDDVD drive. I rip my films onto my HTPC and often encode them to a higher encoding standard thus allowing lower bitrates with minimal quality loss. So I can play all my media without having to mess around with discs.

Yes, I did say that this is my own opinion and for the most part doesn't concern other people.

CoreAVC is used by many people for more then just pirated material. A lot of people use it for apple trailers for instance because Quicktime is horrible and slow on windows machines.

I'm a strong supporter of GPGPU computing. I did also mention that when OpenCL has strong support this won't be the case anymore. But as it stands Nvidia is the king for using your graphics cards for other purpose's then just Gaming. They're the best for folding too.

19. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

They could have reduced the graph's scale a little more so I could see their pimples.

20. JyX

JyX What's a Dremel?

That's good to hear... standards are meant to make life easier for devs as well as consumers, but keep in mind that supporting proprietary formats especially from selfcentic companies like nv won't help you for a long period of time.

Keep in mind that MPEG, SP or AVC, aren't lossless compression standards. So any encoding you do will reduce quality... that's a mathematical fact, and if you know a bit how some of the MPEG algorithms work you'll understand.

As to nv being the king thing... that depends on how much ass-kissing is done on nv's behalf. In fact a.k. is so practiced nowadays that it's hard not to see it everywhere... jobs, health care, public services, and not to mention the commercial environment. Of course CoreCodec opted to implement CUDA but not ATI Stream... no one can know the extent of incentives of advantages promised by nv in order for their tech to be adopted. And I recall the devs saying that they will look into ATI Stream... but so far nothing has happened. That won't define who's the king. Nv still needs to leave ATI far behind with the 300 series to prove it really deserves the crown.

Look at CyberLink's the latest product... MediaShow Espresso... if the client is important, the company won't leave the 30% of potential clients in the dust by implementing both techs.

And the folding thing... read the comments to know why things are the way the are.

Tags: Add Tags