1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia Kelper (2011) and Maxwell (2013) and Speculation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dangerman1337, 22 Sep 2010.

1. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

If you saw Nvidia's conference yesterday you will heard of a roadmap showing two new GPUs coming in the future and another thread on Xtreme news:

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/hardware/30538/nvidia-fermi-successor-called-kepler-coming-next-year

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259492

EDIT: This site aswell: http://translate.google.com/transla...li-peruttu-gf110-grafiikkapiiri-suunnitteilla

Kelper will be on 28nm Process and Maxwell on 22nm (but will be a very big gap acording to the roadmap, maybe my system with Haswell :naughty:).

If you have been lurking around on xtremesystems news one posted called sampsa who has supposdly has sources said about the "GF110" and around the net few sites were talking about the "Fermi 2". This is what i think that the following releases will be:

GF11x/Fermi 2 = 500 series (40nm or 28nm), kelper = 600 series (28nm), Maxwell = 700 series or 800 series (22nm) if there is going to be something inbetween like a "Kepler 2" on a (28 or 22nm).

I also think that Nvidia is goint to counter AMD/ATI's follwing series GF11x/Fermi 2 will counter Northern Islands (40nm), Kelper will counter Southern islands (28nm).

Kelper from the conference has apparantly a LOT of egineers working on it which makes me think kelper is going to be a New arch like the GF100 from G200. Also GF11x/Fermi 2 could have a more "Gamer optismised" version possibly for GeForce brand and another one for HPC stuff for Quadro brand as the main problem for Fermi was that the Geforce was trying to be able to do HPC tasks aswell as gaming which lead it to be too expensive, power hungry and hot compared to Cypress due to its HPC designed shaders.

This also makes me think that both AMD/ATI and Nvidia have taken a page out of Intel and are going to start doing a "tick tock" style of devolpment and releases as die shrinks are going to get far more tougher for TSMC, GlobalFoundries to increase perfomance, Die size and Power requirements (Nvidia's CEO said that Maxwell is going to have very good Perfomance per watt by a lot in fact looks at the roadmap and if true :eeek:).

By looking at this roadmap makes me think that 2011 and foward is going to be a good time for PC hardware compared to the recent dissapointing last two years (2009-2010) :).

So what do you all think?

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I think Nvidia can't tell the time ...apparantly Fermi came out in 2009! Not March 2010!

That roadmap also shows that nVidia will have nothing new to show us til this time next year which means we're in for a repeat of the gtx2xx dying as HD5xxx spanks it only this time it will be the HD6xxx series spanking gtx4xx! And it now seems nvIdia are now planing to be always one gen behind!

What's more NO fab unit has yet given either AMD or nviDia consistently working 28nm examples (remember TMSC couldn't make 32nm which is why HD6xxx is another 40nm chip) and 22nm is, at the mo, a place where people would like to be ...they just don't how to get there yet!

3. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

The one thing I have learnt from the green engine is not to name your cards until they're released!

4. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

GF110 might very well be GTX 700 series lol. That way there can be plenty of product between right now and 2011.

5. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

After the Fermi flop, i would wait until they bring out the next gen mid range cards that then out perform the higher spec cards :=)
    But will re-name the same card 3 times between now and then.

6. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Why wait til Maxwell? Why can't Nvidia sort this out now?

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Because they need the smaller manufacturing process to do it.

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Spelling nazi alert!

It's Kepler not Kelper

They re-worked Fermi a bit to make the GTX460 as it is right? Surely it'd be worthwhile to alter the GTX470/480 in the same way and call them a new revision rather than calling them another codename, or am I misunderstanding this?

9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk I Play WoW :(

They can't do that.

They made the GF106 and it has lower specs than the GF100. Less shaders, less everything.

They can't get 470/480 performance out of the GF106.

They made the GF106 on purpose to fill the mid section, the purpose of GF106 was to use less power and create way less heat than the bad GF100.