1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia teases Kepler-based Tegra 5 'Logan' chips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jul 2013.

1. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I was thinking the same, but with the trend of even portable devices reaching 1080p resolutions (other devices even more), I'm not sure if its enough anymore, unless we are downscaling

2. Xir

Xir Modder

So, they're going to put eight of these together to octo-SLI a 16W desktop part?
    :D

The kind of phones this comes into run at 1920x1080 or so...THAT's mind blowing :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I actually spoke to Nvidia about that a while ago - back when I was doing interviews for the Desktop versus Mobile Hardware feature for Custom PC. The answer is, they are doing - and they're doing so via their Tegra division. There's a lot of cross-pollination between the desktop division - what Nvidia calls High Performance Graphics - and Tegra - Mobile. The Tegra guys, obviously, needed to figure out some massive efficiency improvements in order to get Nvidia tech in tablets and smartphones - and when they did, they fed it back to the desktop guys in order to improve the efficiency of the desktop stuff too.

Remember the drop in TDP that Kepler brought to the desktop? A lot of that, Nvidia claims, is thanks to the Tegra engineers. 'Course, improvements made in performance on the desktop side feed back into Tegra too - it's a two-way street.

Long story short: the better Tegra gets, the better GeForce gets - and vice-versa. At least, that's the way Nvidia tells the story.