1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics NVIDIA Titan V

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by megadriveguy, 8 Dec 2017.

1. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Last edited: 8 Dec 2017
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They've leaned HEAVILY into the workstation angle to justify the price, knowing that the super premium crowd will pay practically anything to have the best gaming card.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Fair play to them I suppose, but unless it is 4x the performance of 1080Ti its not for me, there are plenty who will though.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I shall be treating this in the exactly the same way as every Titan previously released: no thanks :D Doesn't matter if it's £800 or £2,500, there is no way on God's green earth that I am going to pay that much for a GPU. If you absolutely have to have the fastest available single GPU then I guess you might feel differently, but these cards have always been silly money really. Obviously this price tag is sillier money than ever before, but still...

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Hah! 3000 dollars!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So the cooler that was barely adequate for the Titan XP has been reused for a card that in theory runs a lot hotter yes? this would concern me. I ran my Titan XP on air for about two weeks before the noise made me crack and go water.

Was my initial reaction. Then I thought about it and it makes me feel so much better for "only" having paid £675 for my XP. Also it shouldn't hurt the value too much at all really, being that it's double the price my XP was at launch. If the 11 series really are this expensive then I will happily sit on what I have.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't think you can draw many conclusions about the pricing of the 11 series card based on this one item, to be honest. This price is absolute nonsense but doesn't necessarily mean anything for the price of actual normal consumer cards.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What do we actually publicly know about this supposed 11 series of cards? I also agree not much can be guessed based on this card

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

$3k makes perfect sense for a product that has "deep learning" plastered all over its marketing because you can charge whatever fantasy price you want in that market.

But that doesn't mean anything regarding Volta cards for "normal" people.

10. Vault-Tec

With AMD in the dust they can charge whatever they like tbh. We shall see, but from what I hear you won't be getting Volta any way. You will be getting "Ampere" and this will be the only Volta card for now. Hence the price.

11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

It's a Titan card, so you can only barely consider it a "consumer" product - These GPU's really are the PC hardware equivalent of a super/hyper car, as in the people that would consider buying them would do so if it cost $1500 or $5000. It's a product that is bought on performance, exclusivity and bragging rights, not price.

Nvidia know this, so they are doing what any smart business would and making money from it - Anyone getting angsty over it needs to get over themselves and wait for the proper desktop cards.

rollo, Guest-16 and bawjaws like this.
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Spot on.

13. Vault-Tec

Well at least it would seem this is "all the Volta things" and doesn't hold anything back. It also brings back DP etc so there are more than just one use for it in that regard. I would imagine that is why the price tag. However, I still think that cooler will be woefully insufficient. We shall see...

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

*has NVlink connectors*

*[reportedly] doesn't support NVlink [or SLI]*

[​IMG]

Also cue everyone making the same mistake as with every other Titan card... they're not a Geforce with bells on... they're a cut-down Quadro...

If someone feeling flush after the recent BTC spike wants to play PUBG on one, i'm sure nVidia will happily sell them one...

Last edited: 8 Dec 2017
    MLyons likes this.
  15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Meh. Either wait for the Titan Vp or the 1180 Ti.

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I've heard it's half as fast as a titan x

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Recycled PCB with new cooler then.

18. Vault-Tec

Pants for gaming and SP benchmarks.. I just wrote this for another forum..

Had a bit of a read last night. On paper for gaming it sounds kinda lame tbh.

Then I found this.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23847271?

It came from here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/7ikhyp/nvidia_titan_v_fire_strike_benchmarks_oc_non_oc/

I just overclocked my Titan XP by 200mhz and 50mhz on the VRAM.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23855909?

Yeah, not very impressed. However, I did see something on Youtube last night and it made sense. They said (IIRC, don't quote me because I've been busy and my brain is not 100%) that the Tflops of the Titan V were only 13 something. 13000? something like that. On the Xp they are 12 something or 12,000. IIRC this was Single Precision? something like that.

However, with DP enabled the V absolutely slaughters the Xp but only in DP and not many people use that.

I am beginning to suspect that Volta is some form of Pascal with HBM2 and DP enabled. As such you really won't see a massive difference in gaming etc as can be seen from the benchmarks there. My card has another 30 on the boost to add and more on the memory but since swapping out motherboards it kept crashing on those settings so one day I will fiddle some more.

Don't be expecting no 35% though IMO. Nowhere close on gaming and benchmarks, unless they use DP.

Now I know why people keep saying this is not a gaming card. Now more than ever IMO. I know they say that every time a Titan releases but this is the first Titan that does everything apart from gaming. This really would be a terrible buy for that.

Maybe Ampere is running on some sort of GDDR and has some of the DP disabled so it can boost harder. I know the V in the benchmarks there is obviously on air unless he made his own block so I do expect there to be some difference but not that much, given the card does everything games don't want. It's basically Vega IMO. On paper it should kick the world's ass but in what it has to run? yeah, not kick ass at all.

I will wait for more results etc but if that is a Titan V there (and I think it is !) then yeah, I could be right.

Notes..

My brain is on bikes this morning, hence the "fuzzy" recollection of what I read last night (or saw on Youtube). However, the benchmark is not a million miles away. Do note though I = 14 core 28T for the physics test and he only has a 6700k. The graphics score on the Volta is around 12% faster. I would imagine he is on air unless he can make his own blocks in a few hours, so do expect more out of it as mine is under water. However, don't go expecting 35%+. I just can't see it no way. Vega flops very high too, but is cack for gaming.

I think Nvidia knew that at some point they were going to have to return to Fermi. AMD were beginning to really leap ahead. Not to us mortals, but to those flopping some serious ass. So Volta is just that. I would also imagine Ampere will be cut back, no DP and GDDR. However, again, the whole architecture seems to be designed for anything but gaming. *IF* that sort of support does ever arrive I would imagine Vega will take to it like a fish to water also. That is what AMD have been hoping on when making these big old power hungry tanks since the 7970..

Fermi was good, at certain things. Folding? yeah, it kicked serious ass. Gaming however? well I don't need to go into that, do I?

MLyons likes this.
  19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Bit puzzled about the Titan line up direction. Nvidia seem to have forgotten what the original Titan was about.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Nah, they've just realised there is no money in gaming graphics but loads in HPC.

Like CPUs there is no real drive for more power, the cards tht sell in volume and make money for gaming are in the mid range.