1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia to enable ray tracing in non-RTX GPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Mar 2019.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It'll be added just so they can attract you to more powerful hardware after it looks good but runs like a dog on the old stuff, I'm a sucker for that tactic. :duh:

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

There will be devs (usually smaller) who make other kinds of games other than "super duper fancy realistic" who will be able to leverage DXR without tanking games performance because they're using raytracing for something different. There will be situations where the Pascal cards and the AMD cards will be enough. This is a good thing.

3. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Is it bad that I don't care?

I bought my 1080ti knowing RTX cards were clearly the better choice for ray tracing. If this improves RT on my card, all well and good, but it's obvious it won't perform as well as RTX cards in RT applications.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

No.

It's to try and tempt people to see what it's like and that ain't gonna wash with me. Mind you it'll be handy for devs too so perhaps it'll just make it more prevalent.

I'll be waiting a while though until I hope onboard.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'm just happy I have to upgrade CPU/mainboard/RAM first. Lessens the urge to upgrade my graphics card even more.

adidan likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Likewise, i'll be keeping my 1080 when I switch to Zen2 - it'll chug along for a wee while yet.

perplekks45 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags