1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia working on CUDA-based anti-virus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Oct 2009.

1. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I just leave my computer on overnight. Simple. Its a pity more AV makers don't take advantage of scanning when the system is idle though.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

they need proper task scheduling first.

currently Folding on GPU will leave your system (with Aero transparency) very laggy. if only Fold with CPU, the system is still very responsive.

3. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Good initiative.

People are forgetting that low-end CPU's still exist.
    And even a 9600gt card could help those out immensely...

4. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i don't really know why they still bother with definition based AV scanning on the OS anymore. what you really need is a good HIPs system for AV. something like the the now-bought-by-VMware determina, or my current favorite AV program Blink (by eEye). both of those were/have excellent HIPs based AV.

for those of you who do not know what HIPs is it stands for Host-based Intrusion Prevention. it is memory protection for the entire OS. any writes made to a memory location not requested by that application is prevented. this effectively eliminates buffer overflow attacks (well over 95% of all malware attacks use buffer overflow to execute attack code). why the OS does not do this on its own is beyond me, but until it does i will use HIPs to protect my systems from attack.

what i really, really want to see from the definition based side of AV is a program that will, at a scheduled time:
    1. update the definition files to a usb drive
    2. restart the computer
    3. have a boot loader start up a stand alone scanner
    4. scan the HD and fix issues/delete nasties
    5. save the scan to a log
    6. start the OS
    7. carry out any additional required tasks on any nasties found

if you have both of the above, as well as a good universal sandbox program (like my favorite sandboxie) i would feel confidant that you could go *anywhere* on the net without fear. (well, it won't stop fishing attacks. . .)

5. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

What everyone needs to realise is quite how fast GPU based virus scanning can be. You could be browsing the web and your graphics card could be scanning every file on arrival between NIC and RAM before it even gets written as temporary, with no noticable overhead. It will just pull any data / files that match any virus definitons. It has to the potential of being able to stop a virus / string of malicious code ever seeing your system. http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch35.html

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

looks like it's around 40% faster when you use the gpu along with the cpu.. they are looking at it as a system degrade fix and the gpu can't hold all the definitions on card

after ripping with badaboom.. I could see this as a pretty cool thing to dev- not really for gamers or the regular joe, but for business

7. dec

dec [blank space]

when is sata 6gbps coming out? that and a SSD will remove that bottleneck

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

This would be great the ability to have continuous and comprehensive scanning all the time! It is like instead of having one guard watching millions of files and another running around trying to inspect infinite numbers of stored files you can literally have walls of armies watching your system at all times ensuring that not one peace of bad data can get though!

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Or you could write a new news item with headline: "Viruses are starting to use CUDA acceleration"

Starting with text: "A new wave of viruses is spreading like a fire, thanks to Nvidia's CUDA parallel GPU processing. The virus uses sophisticated algorithms to hide inside the graphics-card memory. Not only is this new breed of virus hidding but also morphing every millisecond using CUDA. The virus is also ultrafast in spreading and... "

10. Doomah

Doomah What's a Dremel?

and then he turned his computer off, clearing all ram and the virus is killed.

11. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Thing is, things that are done in CUDA can easily be ported to OpenCL...and they probably will be, not letting anti-nvidiaisms get in the way of the fact that Nvidia are just as involved in OpenCL as everyone else...actually moreso

Clicky

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

why would you use a home information pack to protect your computer ;-)

Last edited: 8 Oct 2009
  13. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags