1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia's Tegra CPU has a mighty battery life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jun 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's all they're after though...

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So basically they didn't do anything else but taking already available hardware from ARM and other [pretty much] well-known manufacturers and call it a new product?

Sounds a lot like nVidia to me.

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

The demo systems they had were running some variant of Windows CE/embedded - the demo of flash websites definitely involved IE.

4. serial_

serial_ New Member

I have to say this makes me a happy nBoi.

A long time ago I decided to stop supporting "brands" and just get whoever could benchmark the best, and avoid brands that i've had trouble with. I bought an ATI card, had nothing but issues with it, and then got treated like **** by their Customer Support. That pretty well was the end of my ATI days and the beginning of a problem-free, happy nVidia customer. Everything I see out of nVidia blows ATI away, and this is certainly one of the good reasons why, they innovate like nothing else. SLI is a tiny ass little circuit bridge vs. crossfires giant external cables. What's with ATI and cables, anyway (look at the all-in-wonders)?

I can't wait for this to hit shelves. As is I play games on the go with my Acer Aspire One rocking a 1.66ghz atom and an intel 945G but I'm really liking the idea of something that just does so much in such a small package. Put a high-def screen on that biatch and let's see some better resolutions than what the atom will pump out.

I have to say, if you're gonna fanboi something that starts with a lowercase letter; go nBoi, not iBoi.

5. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Oh god, I just dont know where to start.... so i'm not.

perplekks45 likes this.
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

QFT.

7. ProDigit

ProDigit New Member

Very interesting! But I doubt this chip can run something like Windows.
    What operating system does it need to boot? Linux?

If it is linux, we can expect a limited gamma of games, and programs. Also, it may be true that it plays quake better than the Intel Atom system, the GMA945/950 chipset is very slow. That's just a matter of graphics card. Pair it up against an ion platform and the results will be different.

I'm also having my doubts on Winrar/audio or video encodings; although having multiple cores could boost performance for applications optimized for multithreads, would an application not optimized for multithreading be faster too?

What about office and productivity benchmarks,like booting office, an internet browser, or a larger program?

Playing quake at these resolutions and graphic settings, with these framerates could imply that we're having a device that under normal circumstances would have equal performance as an intel 945/950 and as an ion (GeForce 9400) at best; while many games actually could under perform.
    Boosting this system by 200% (to a 2 watt system), with a full watt allocated to the graphics core, would be a wise thing, even if there's only a 50 increase in fps.

The 1watt system is something also Intel is trying to achieve. The 1watt only refers to CPU, GPU, and N/Sbridge(memory controler, USB port controller, pcie controller). It does not take in account the wattage lost to memory (RAM,VRAM; about 1-2Watthour?), display (backlit LCD displays of laptops generally consume around 3,5Wh), power needed to power to USB ports (500mA, 5V = 2,5W), audio out (1v x 0,5A = 0,5W). The total of such a system should be around 8,5Watthours; which is about 11W better than current Atom system, but the graphs shown above are purely theoretical. In real life the 25 days of battery life will be closer to 5 days,and the 10 hours video will be closer to 8 or 9.

Also,most likely such a device will not be paired with a 3-6cell 3500-7200mAh battery pack, but rather a 1 or 2 cell, 2800mAh max battery pack.

Also this system is aimed at the mobile and MID market, not the PCmarket, but it would be interesting to see personal computers like the ION platform, and netbooks being based on this technology!
    For sure they could become a reality, but that will depend on other manufacturers. I'd also expect a device that will perform in the likes of an Atom Z processor (slow due to always coming out of sleep before, and going back into sleep after a task).

A device like that could be very versatile. And if NVidia would mind creating a mobo hosting 2 to 8 of these computer 'sticks' that could function in RAID, we'd probably get a very good webpage/ fileserver, upto the task of being 24/7 online down/uploading, perhaps a chatroom server, or print server.

A device like this could also find a good place in the professional music industry,replacing the hardware found in various electric piano's and studio recording/mixingboards.
    The way I see it the device should be about the size of a SODIMM RAM stick, rather than a USB flash drive!

Tags: Add Tags