1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases NZXT H1 - is PCIE 3.0 a problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ljs, 10 Dec 2020.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Been a while since I've been around and I'm wanting to ditch my laptop and build a PC again!

I really love the look of the NZXT H1 and as I need all the components it seems like a reasonable buy, but supply seems to be low (I'm guessing the B and C word are at fault).

When reading a bit more about the case I've seen a few people comment on the riser being PCIE 3.0 and expensive to replace. I'll be honest - I'm not too sure of the implications, but is it going to be an issue? I'm planning on waiting until the non-X variants of AMD chips come out until I purchase and build anyway.

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

They are currently rectifying an issue where a screw could cause a short with the PCI-E riser PCB.

There is a known issue with having PCI-E Gen 4 card and a motherboard set to PCI-E Gen 4 mode causing a black screen. Only fixable by setting the bios to Gen3 mode as the riser is Gen3.

I've got the case with a 3070 and it works fine but I have a B450 mobo that doesn't support Gen4. This generation there is virtually zero performance impact between Gen3 and Gen4 but might become a bigger issue in years to come.

No idea about the cost of replacing with a Gen4 riser but maybe its an accessory they will make available in the future as Gen4 becomes more common. I'll worry about it when I upgrade Mobo/CPU in a few years time.

In terms of the case itself - Its a nicely built case and seems to handle my stock Ryzen 3600x and 3070 fine (50C and 75C respectively). Building in it is also a breeze as the cables are pre routed. I would suggest avoiding the monster GFX cards but it will comfortably take a 2 Slot card that's pretty long. 2.5 slot cards are supported but would be very close to the mesh sides in my opinion.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Surely closer would just let it pull in air from outside the case?

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I had to research this issue today at work and can confirm, zero difference, total waste of time worrying about it right now. Max performance gap is about 5% fps in some very improbable, unrealistic orchestrated situations. Even when it becomes a real performance gap in the future it'll be a tiny margin based on what people are seeing so far and it's a long way off.

I'm actually not sure why gen 4 launched already, it doesn't look to be relevant to GPU performance for another few years at least.

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

My understanding (which might well be wrong) is that the GPU fans dont have enough static pressure to pull through the mesh so they can end up choked. So even though its pulling some case air thats better than not enough air. Glad to be proven wrong though.

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder