Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ModMinded, 24 Oct 2008.
I love Garage Sales!...
...almost as much as I love getting free stuff... and sometimes they combine!
Today, my friend's neighborhood was having a group yard/garage/rummage sale, so I stopped by a few different houses to see what was what.
I picked up a few odds and ends: got a toy sword that makes swordplay sounds as you swipe it through the air, some electronic switches and a weird circuit board, a free garden hose I needed for the garage workshop, a showerhead that looked like it would fit into a mod somewhere sometime... and a couple books... I was mainly looking for tools, but nobody had anything... until I found this!
That is a huge woodworking vise! The square placed there for comparision is 12". It's kinda dusty and the grease has collected a bunch of hanger-ons (aka dirt) but it functions smoothly and is one heavy beast.
I used a couple of bolts to mount it to the edge of my "workbench." I'm thinking that I should have used 4 bolts, cause if you look at that first picture, there are 2 other oblong slots that look like they could hold a bolt. I'm not 100% that the 2 bolts will be enough for this heavy vise, plus the force of working on it... unfortunately, their placement makes it impossible to just drill through the holes into the table, like I did with the 2 obvious mount points. I sprayed the drive with WD40, and will clean it up a bit more later. I don't know if I need to get some grease and apply it to the drive shaft, or if I can just rely on wd40?
I worked on the I/O plate for the mobo today. I found a better scan (the old scan I was using as the template was a little shrunk so the dimensions were off) and printed and cut out the shapes I'd be using with a hobby knife. Then I double-checked that the sizing and location of the ports was properly fitted to the mobo.
I glued that to my piece of plexi (oversized, so I'll have to trim to fit) and drilled and cut holes. I still have a little more to cut and file down. That SPDIF port is deceptive in its size!
Oh yeah, I also picked up a new CCFL kit from Fry's (since I was in Sacramento again.) I really just wanted the 2 tube inverter, but couldn't find the inverter on it's own. My electronics shop didn't have dual tube inverters, and the kit was $10, which was only $4 more than I paid for the single tube inverter (without a tube), so I figured, why not. There were no choices of colors, so I ended up with Blue.
Here's a comparison (1 tube new blue vs 1 tube old UV, same inverter):
I think the blue is too bright! Yes it makes the acrylic glow, but it makes everything glow, really. The uv is muted, but I get the highlights from the plexi. So the blue are going into storage for another mod.
Great effect of the leds in the plexi
Thanks Migui! Those are actually 2 different CCFL 12" tubes. The LEDs will show up later!
Which one do you like the best? (Blue or UV?)
good work mate
Definately use the new blue. That reflection on the back wall looks yummy!
Thanks for following along and the positive comments!
Yeah, that shadow effect on the wall looked sweet, but it's a bit too bright for me... it kind of washes things out. Once I get the case and hardware together, I'll probably post pics of both to get another opinion!
Thanks for the helpful comment!
Just came accross this, didn't know there was yet another lexa mod going on lol. I am interested in seeing what this will look like when it's done. Good work, and props for the sheer amount of diligence.
Thanks Mark! Welcome to the exclusive Lexa modder's club.... you me and The boy from Oz are the members I'm aware of! I'm planning to get back to work on this soon, since I finished my entry in another mod contest. (link in case gallery sticky if you're interested.)
Separate names with a comma.